Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Mystic Lilac and Purple Gala

Oh boy! These new limited edition Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear polishes are so pretty I don't even know where to begin (click here to see pics of the display, which I showed you yesterday). 

If you read my post from yesterday, you know that several polishes in this new collection have the same effect. I noticed that Golden Child, Blue Icing, Cosmic Blue, Purple Fiesta and Cherry Punch all have a sparse amount of holo microglitter and holo bar glitter running through them. If you'd like to see Purple Fiesta check out Short and Sweet Nails' swatches here.

If you haven't had success with Sally Hansen polishes in the past, let me tell you that the Xtreme Wear formula has been nothing short of awesome for me in terms of application and staying power (and price! These retail for just $2.99 at Rite Aid). These babies wear like IRON for me, especially when I use Orly Bonder base coat underneath, and a good top coat to finish things off (I usually use Sally Hansen Mega Shine, but since I'm currently out of that, I used Seche Vite for these).

First let's start with this little lovely:

(enlarge these photos to get the full effect)

Sally Hansen Purple Gala (retail: $2.99)

Purple Gala required three coats for complete opacity, but based on how sheer the first coat was, I was very happy that it only required three (I really thought it was going to need four or even five).


I'm showing you a blurry photo so you can better see the different shades of glitter in this formula:

If you enlarge the above pic, you can see that there's gold, sliver and blue glitter in this polish. Stunning!

I've heard from a few of you that have said that this is a close match to Hard Candy Mr. Wrong. I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison with an old photo of Mr. Wrong from my review of it last year, so that you can determine for yourself whether or not you think you need both shades:


 Be sure to enlarge this photo--I deliberately left it HUGE so that you can really see the differences. In my opinion, the glitter in Purple Gala is larger, and the base of Mr. Wrong is more silver. But then again, I know that Mr. Wrong leans toward purple on a lot of people (on me it's waaaaay more silver) so if you're happy with the purple tendencies of Mr. Wrong, well then you probably don't need Purple Gala.  I'm very happy that I have both, but I do think they both give off the same vibe.

And finally, here's the show-stopper of the two (in my opinion):

 Sally Hansen Mystic Lilac (retail: $2.99)



A lilac-greige with iridescent seafoam green microglitter? Ahhhh! SUBLIME! This truly might be my favorite polish of all time. I could stare at it all day!  Oh, and this one required two coats for opacity. Perfect!

I mentioned yesterday that I thought this might be a close dupe for the limited edition L'Oreal Delicate Dusk (click here and here for details about Delicate Dusk).  Well you know I had to show you a side-by-side:

Mystic Lilac: index and middle finger
Delicate Dusk: ring and pinky finger

I'd say that, minus the lovely seafoam green microglitter, we have ourselves a match! But do I regret owning both? Not a chance! I'm absolutely obsessed with lilac-greige, if you couldn't tell.

So what do you think of these two shades? If you haven't already, are you planning to pick up some colors from this new collection? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. These are AMAZING shades. I must have them. I haven't been able to find them yet in the drugs stores around me, so I may have to take a trip to Ulta to see if they have them. Thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what G? I just picked up the exact 2 shades today lol. I was so happy to see them at my drugstore, cause I thought we would have to wait a while to see them in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be getting mine tomorrow...whether they're on sale or not! =( I want mystic lilac =(

    (even if I already own Delicate Dusk >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystic Lilac is awesome! I'm going back and getting this color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 0_0 OMG I NEED MYSTIC LILAC! I wish UK stores sold SH coloured polished (we just get topcoats etc) :/ Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. damn it! i still can't find this display! *whines* i will get over it but its driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i picked up the same two. Mystic lilac is so pretty, i agree.

    I love Mr. Wrong so Purple Gala is in a happy home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i still can't find these. thanks for the Mr. Wrong comparison, i was wondering if they were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg those colors are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a question, with the amount of polishes you have don't they separate or get yucky after a while so they don't apply right. Is there a trick to keeping them "fresh"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yippie Skippie!!! I'm going to Walgreens and CVS tomorrow. AND, I have Sally Hansen coupons! I have to have the Mystic Lilac!!! WAIT!!! I just looked in my to-do stash and I HAVE MYSTIC LILAC!!!! LOLLLLL!
    OK...I'm sure to get Purple Gala!!! Yeaaa! NO???? What!!!! OH, I have that one too....LOLLLLL!

    OK...nevermind.

    (I love your swatches and comparisons!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi ladies! I'm SO glad that I'm not alone in my love for these new colors. :) And for those of you who haven't been able to locate this display in your area yet, don't give up hope! It took a long time for me to finally find it, so hopefully it will be available to you all very soon. :)

    Jennifer: I do experience some separation from time to time with my older polishes, but I try to shake those bottles when I spot them and mix the colors back up again. And if they've thickened, a few drops of polish thinner (which you can get at places like Sally Beauty for just a few bucks) works wonders. It really can help your older polishes seem just like they're new again. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are beautiful! But I think I will be skipping them. Purple Gala looks juuuust similar enough to Mr Wrong that I can't justify getting it. Mystic Lilac is gorgeous, but I have similar greiges & Pure Ice Heartbreaker, so I've been doing greige+greenblue shimmer for ages. Heartbreaker ($2 @ walmart) is a sheer iridescent green-blue shimmer that turns any color into AMAZING. I layer it over SH Commander in Chic and it looks quite a bit like Mystic Lilac. Check out what it does to dark colors:
    http://thenailphile.blogspot.com/2009/06/la-girls-hevay-metal-pure-ice.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks that was helpful. I will have to pick up the thickener.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want those. I haven't found them here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just saw this display in Walgreens! It wasn't there a few days ago, so hang in there, ladies!

    I picked up Mystic Lilac. Purple Gala didn't grab me in person. I also picked up two of the new Maybelline LE Fashion Week polishes.

    I have been waiting for them to go on sale so I could pick up Pretty in Purple as I have been drooling over it. Of course, it goes on sale @ Walgreens, and they were out of the purple...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just saw this display in Walgreens! It wasn't there a few days ago, so hang in there, ladies!

    I picked up Mystic Lilac. Purple Gala didn't grab me in person. I also picked up two of the new Maybelline LE Fashion Week polishes.

    I have been waiting for them to go on sale so I could pick up Pretty in Purple as I have been drooling over it. Of course, it goes on sale @ Walgreens, and they were out of the purple...

    ReplyDelete
  18. crap. Now need this Mystic Lilac color. Shoot. More money, more nail polish, not enough fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i bought purple gala today, and i almost got the mystic lilac. now that i see how pretty it is, i should've went ahead and bought it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig