Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

L'Oreal Limited Edition Color of Hope Collection

Before I get into this post, I want to make sure you all know about a wonderful Revlon rebate opportunity at Walgreens that the lovely Drugstore Divas posted about recently. Pair it with the printable Revlon nail color coupon I mentioned a little while ago (Drugstore Divas also have a link to that in their post if you missed it) and you've got yourself a great deal on some new Revlon goodies!

Last week when I was at CVS, I spotted the limited edition L'Oreal The Color of Hope display (5% of the proceeds from this collection go to ovarian cancer research). Unlike L'Oreal's last limited edition collection, Passport to Paradise (I was only drawn to the nail polishes in that collection), the colors in this collection really appeal to me, so I'm excited to show them to you. But a warning: they're pretty conservative, so if that's not your thing, I don't want to get your hopes up!

First let's start with the polish I purchased, which I found completely irresistible:

L'Oreal Delicate Dusk (retail: $4.99)

[EDIT: for a comparison of Delicate Dusk and other similar shades from my collection, please click here]

This one jumped right out at me and I had to have it. I might have something similar already in my stash (I'll have to check and see) but it's just so darned pretty, isn't it? I love how it straddles the worlds of greige and lilac, though it's not quite one or the other. So let's just call it lilac-greige, shall we?

Also, I had some L'Oreal coupons in my purse (which I thought I was never going to be able to use before they expired!) so I was able to get this polish for just $1.99. CVS sent me a $2 L'Oreal cosmetic coupon in the mail a while back, and I was able to stack that with a $1 L'Oreal manufacturer's coupon that was in a Red Plum mailer a few weeks ago.

Oh! And before I forget! Some of you loyal readers may be saying to yourselves, "I cannot believe she bought another L'Oreal nail polish after that last disaster" and all I can say is, "I know, right?" Well, I loved Delicate Dusk so much that I was willing to take a chance and I am so glad I did, because the formula of Delicate Dusk is 100 times better than the formula of Water's Edge and High Tide. L'Oreal must have been listening to our complaints because this formula is smoother, thinner, and so much easier to work! It was actually a dream to apply and the brush was perfect as well.

So let's take a look at the display:



Aside from the polishes, this eyeshadow quad immediately caught my eye for one very important reason:

L'Oreal Wear Infinite Pressed Eye Shadow Quad in Sophisticated Strength

It's difficult to tell in the above photo (you can view a way better photo on the L'Oreal website), but the shade in the lower left corner is the same type of charcoal-teal shade as the Maybelline Fashion Week trio, Charming Cobalt, which I showed you here, and the NARS duo that a few of my readers said looks like a dupe of Charming Cobalt! I'm beginning to realize that this charcoal-teal shade must be a trending color for fall, and I for one am VERY happy about that. I think it's such a lovely crease shade, and also perfect for a smoky eye look as well.

And finally, here is a closer shot of the four nail colors:


Sovereign Silver looks pretty frosty in person, so I really didn't gravitate toward it, but Color of Hope is really pretty in real life (sort of a dusty rose/mauve creme) and Imperial Plum is a gorgeous, deep vampy plummy-burgundy-brown that looks like it MIGHT be a jelly (but don't quote me on that).

Now that L'Oreal owns Essie, I'm wondering if any of these shades are dupes for Essie shades. Do any of you know? I'm not terribly familiar with Essie colors so I'm counting on one of you to school me. :)

Thanks for reading and, as always, I'd love to hear from you if you own anything from this collection. I'd also love to hear from you if you don't--what do you think of this assortment of mauves, raisins, plums, silvers and blues? Is anything catching your eye?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Wow! I didn't know L'oreal nail polish was $4.99!

    But Delicate Dusk...is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Delicate Dusk! Probably don't need any more taupe/gray/lilac polishes in my life, but I might have to go check it out just to be sure. Can't be too careful about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was wondering which NARS duo it's a dupe for? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know if this Color of Hope promotion is an annual thing? I'm asking because there is a store similar to Big Lots I go to that has L'Oreal palettes similar to this, only they each shade is imprinted with a letter and it spells out HOPE. So I'm thinking they are from last years promotion.

    I bought some nail polish at my CVS today too. It's a limited edition LA Colors Color Craze Metallic Polish Series for $2.99 for 4 colors. Fuchsia, purple, charcoal, and green... total glitterbombs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up the Delicate Dusk at Ulta and put it back because it seemed mauve in the store. Maybe it was the bad lighting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color of hope quad looks nice! I think I am going to have to try and find a nice slate/charcoal-teal color for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAH! I was just at Walgreens and saw the display but passed on it b/c I have had issues w/ the quality of L'Oreal e/s in the past. The display didn't have nail polish. Now I'm going to have to find ANOTHER Walgreens and stalk it until I find that color! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually never see anything I want in these - everything is always so light. I would like to try the Imperial Plum polish. I'll have to keep an eye out for this display - I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love that nail color you bought! It's perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silly Lilacs: I think that these might be at a slightly higher price point because some of the proceeds are going to charity? Not sure, But I think the regular L'Oreal polishes are closer to $4 than $5?

    princessfats: Haha! I hear ya, believe me! I just posted a swatch comparison to the other lilac/greige/taupe shades in my stash and I'm pretty shocked that there are no dupes. So...you might *need* this one. :)

    Kali: Here's my the link to my post about the NARS duo:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/08/important-odds-ends.html

    Justine: It is!! :D

    Donna: Yes, I believe it is an annual release. Did you buy any of those older quads? And LUCKY YOU! My CVS has never, ever sold anything from LA Colors. And four shades for $2.99? That is a STEAL! I'm so jealous. :)

    Rebecca: Yes, it does seem more mauve in the store, but check out the comparison I just did! On the nails, it's much less mauve than the bottle would lead you to believe:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/09/loreal-delicate-dusk-comparison.html

    thesungirl: I agree! This seems to be THE shade for eyeshadow this fall. :)

    Elvira: Oh man, I'm sorry your display didn't have the nail colors! And yes, YOU NEED Delicate Dusk. No question about it. Let the stalking commence! :)

    Denise: Ooooh, I would LOVE to know what you think of Imperial Plum if/when you try it! :)

    Taj Acosta: Thank you! I'd love to know what you think of it if you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What exactly is a jelly polish?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig