Thanks SO much to all of you who left questions on that post, and an extra special shout-out to the readers below for asking questions that were so fun to answer!
Reader D. asks:
You provide reviews for many different types of products during any given week. My question for you is what is your favorite type of product to test, review and blog about and why?
Answer:
As for what makes a high end beauty product worth it to me? It has to be 1) something I just cannot duplicate with a drugstore product and 2) something that sticks in my head for days after I've seen it. I see so many products on a daily basis, but if I keep thinking about a certain product for days or weeks, then I usually know it's worth investigating. A good rule of thumb: when you see a higher end beauty product that you THINK you're in love with, don't bookmark it, pin it, talk about it, etc. If you still remember it or think about it in a week or two, it might be worth revisiting. If it escapes your memory after you see it, then maybe it's not that great after all, right? And of course always google a higher-end product for dupes before you buy it! Don't shell out $50 for something only to find there's a near-exact dupe available at the drugstore for $5.
Reader Louie B. asks:
Reader Kimberly Purcell asks:
Do you paint your toes? What is your all-time favorite perfume? When you travel, do you take a lot of makeup/beauty stuff or, do you pair it down a lot?
Answer:
I pretty much always paint my toes, even in winter. My all-time favorite perfume is Chantecaille Frangipane. When I travel I really pair it down and often only bring one eyeshadow quad, two blushes, a few lip colors and my staple products like foundation, concealer, etc. I figure that if I only have a very limited amount of products to work with, it will cause me to spend less time getting ready and more time being out and enjoying the sights and sounds of whatever city I'm in, so I never travel with a lot of makeup!
Reader Theresa asks:
My question is what is your favorite beauty era? Like 20s, 50s, 80s, something like that.
Answer:
My favorite beauty era on a personal level is the 80s, but that's only because that's the era I grew up in and the decade when makeup became very important to me (I was 10 in 1980 and 20 in 1990 so the 80s were when I learned everything that I still carry with me to this day). But on an aesthetic level, I love the makeup of the 40s. I love the high-arched brows, the red lipstick, the black eyeliner and the porcelain skin of that era. I also love the nail looks (half-moon manicures!) and hairstyles (victory rolls!) of that era.
Reader Krista asks:
Reader Sharona asks:
I would like to know your favorite way to store products where you can actually see what you have instead of digging through a drawer or stack. I have very little counter space and this has been a problem for me, especially as my collection has grown.
Answer:
I read this tip a long time ago and it stuck with me, so I'd like to pass it along because I think it's genius: if you have a lot of beauty products and you worry about not using them (or remembering you have them), try this method. Every week, fill a small makeup bag with corresponding color cosmetics from your stash. Pick a couple of blushes, a few shadow quads (or trios, or singles), a few lip colors, eyeliners, etc. and stick them in a cute makeup bag on your counter. Also on your counter, keep your staple items like foundation, concealer, powder, mascara, etc. (I keep my staples in my rotating organizer). For that week, use ONLY the color cosmetics that are in your makeup bag and keep the rest of your makeup stash in plastic bins, boxes, drawers, etc. in another room (or closet). At the end of each week, empty your makeup bag (put it back into your stash) and pick all new color cosmetics to use for the next week. If you keep doing this, you'll literally be forced to use everything you own as you cycle through your stash. Also, you'll probably discover some products that you NEVER want to put in your makeup bag for the week, and that's a good way to know what you should probably throw out. If you keep passing over something and never want to use it, why keep it, right?
Reader Pokey asks:
How did you first get into make up and how did you learn what looks good on you? Did you have any make up mentors?
Answer:
I first got into makeup when I was about 13 years old. I of course didn't wear a full face of makeup back then, but that's when I really remember loving the drugstore and spending hours in the makeup aisle looking at all the products. The way I learned what looks good on me was through simple trial and error. In the 80s I went through a blue mascara phase, which I thought looked amazing on me. It wasn't until someone said it looked "weird" that I learned to try and look at my face objectively and see what REALLY works with my skintone, hair color, etc. In other words, just because I love the way pastel pink listpicks look in the tube does NOT mean I should wear them. They look horrid on my skintone, and it took me years to come to grips with that. My best advice is to start with colors that are universal and popular (Milani Luminous Blush, Wet n Wild 666 lip pencil, etc.) and see how those things look on your face. When you look in the mirror, do those colors seem to bring out the best of your skintone? Do they look like they work naturally with your hair color and skin color or do they look odd to you? If Milani Luminous blush looks a little too "orange" on your skin, then try another blush that has more pink in it and see if that looks better. You've got to experiment and just keep an open mind and try things that may not appeal to you at first (pinky-brown lipsticks don't look amazing in the tube, but they look amazing on my lips and that's what counts!). And when you're experimenting, try to buy your products at CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreens if you can. Those stores will let you return or exchange USED product if you have your receipt, so you can keep on trying different shades until you find the color that really works for you.
My number one makeup mentor is, of course, my mom (don't so many of us learn how to apply lipstick by watching our moms do it)? Also, the supermodels of the 1990s had a HUGE impact on how I look at makeup and how I apply my makeup. Christy Turlington and Linda Evangelista in particular, were a HUGE influence on me. I remember being mesmerized by their makeup in this video from 1990 and watching it over and over again on MTV: