Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Staples Rotating Desk Organizer: my new storage solution for brushes, pencils, etc.

Before I even get into this post, I want to tell you that I bought this yesterday at my local Staples AND IT IS ON SALE for just $5 (regular price: $9.99). Since the price online is still $9.99, this is obviously in in-store only sale, but I don't know if this is a week-long sale, month-long or just a clearance type of thing. So if you're interested, I would get over to your local Staples ASAP to see if your location has them for this price.

I have been on the hunt for a good "lazy susan" for a LONG time. There's a cute one at Michael's that's white and has pull-out drawers, etc. but it retails for around $50, which is way beyond my budget even with a coupon. So when I saw this black plastic version at Staples and THEN saw that it was on sale for $5, I bought the last two on the shelf!

Staples Rotating Desk Organizer
(retail: $9.99; currently on sale for $5)



There is one large and very deep pencil holder in the middle, with three smaller (more shallow) pencil holders on the sides. Then there are three "pockets" on both the upper and lower levels, so all together that's 10 places to store you makeup and tools. I'm telling you, just one of these organizers holds everything I need for my day-to-day makeup application with the exception of eyeshadow.


So let's take a tour around this revolving organizer:


In the first of the three "outside" pencil holders, I am storing my face brushes (excuse the dirtiness of my brushes--some of these were scheduled for a good cleaning but I grabbed them just to show you how much you can hold in each cup):


I have two EcoTools brushes, an e.l.f. Studio brush and a Real Techniques brush in this cup, with a little room to spare.

Moving on to the first set of "pockets", I have stored the two concealers I'm currently testing, along with my tweezers, in the top pocket, and two Milani Baked Blushes in the bottom pocket:




As you can see, some products hang out a tiny bit, but not far enough to actually fall out when you spin the organizer.

Moving on to the second outer pencil holder, I'm storing a TON of eyeshadow brushes from a variety of manufacturers (again, some of these were scheduled for cleaning but I pulled them just for the purposes of this post):


There is a total of 14 eyeshadow brushes in this cup, both big and small. Some of the brands include EcoTools, e.l.f., Urban Decay and Real Techniques.

Moving on to the second set of "pockets", my Physicians Formula Healthy Wear compact fits beautifully in one of the pockets, while the two mascaras I'm currently using fit nicely in the bottom pocket:




In the third outer "cup", I have my automatic eyeliners (from Physicians Formula, Jordana, etc.), my Jordana FabuLiner (liquid liner pen) and my Maybelline Define-A-Brow pencil. There 15 automatic liners in this cup (it looks like less in my pics because some are hidden behind taller ones) plus the liquid liner pen and brow pencil with A LOT of room to spare:



Moving on to the third set of "pockets", I have my mini Urban Decay primer and my pencil sharpener in the top pocket:


And in the pocket underneath that, I have my (old style) UD primer in Eden:


And finally, in the center cup, which is MUCH more deep than the outer cups, I have my Wet n Wild Coloricon pencils (which of course are very tall pencils) and a Bobbi Brown eyeliner (which is also very tall). There are 10 pencils in this cup and I could easily fit DOUBLE that and more:


I hope this helps those of you who are looking for a storage solution for brushes, pencils, etc. I LOVE the convenience of a lazy susan because you can just spin it to get what you need quickly. Plus, since it's plastic I can just periodically throw it in the sink to clean it and then put it upside down to dry. I also love that it's black so that nay makeup that does get on it between cleaning won't show. For me, this is PERFECT and I'm so glad I got two of them (I plan to use my other one for lip products).

How do YOU store your pencils and brushes? Are you thinking about stopping by Staples to find this organizer? Do you already have an awesome system that works for you? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

38 comments

  1. I think I need to get some of these. The closest Staples is 30 minutes away though. Good thing I was already debating driving over tomorrow to look for the new Essie collection at the Target there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I need about 4 of them though! :) I use those basic clear acrylic counter top makeup holders right now, but I find that I can't find my brushes because the one I want is in the back, or better yet, it has been "swallowed" by some of the bigger brushes. This is definitely worth the try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really handy! Might stop by Staples tomorrow when I'm out running errands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL :) My boycott of Staples for pulling a bait-and-switch on an advertised laptop may have to go on pause ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another tip is to check your mail since Staples loves sending out coupons (I bought this and got it for free since I had a $10 off a $10 or more purchase that they sent a few months ago). Basically, look through your spam, there may be a present! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...Good idea, I've been looking for something to organize my dress of my cosmetics. This might work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Recently I bought a "Black 7 Drawer IRIS Mini Storage Chest with Organizer Top" to store ALL my makeup but the brushes are still in bags so this organizer from Staples looks like just the ticket for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, I wanna see the lip product one too! I'm such a product organization junkie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh I use that maybelline coverstick concealer that you're testing! How are you liking it so far? I haven't used a lot of other concealers so I wouldn't know how to compare it, but I find it works fairly well for my dark circles. I have to set it with powder in the summer because my skin is more oily then. Also, I like using it with my little e.l.f concealer brush for blemishes. I hope you'll do a review because I want to know if you like it as much as I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I'm running to staples now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I'm running to staples now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited to read your review on the Maybelline Age rewind concealer with the spongy applicator. I've been curious about it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a sucker for any kind of organizer but this one looks very useful, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the tip, after I read your post I went to Staples and bought the last 2. I am new to your blog and I find it really helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the tip, after I read your post I went to Staples right away and bought the last 2. I am new to your blog and I find it really helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually use jars. (recycle, reuse, reduce) and i literally decorated them with bits of whatever. and they turn out looking pretty cute, in my opinion.

    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/snakecharmermistress/IMG_0354-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have one of these at work holding my pens, scissors, tape, push pins, etc. (Also got it for $5!) I love the idea of using it for makeup, but I don't think I have the room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH so clever!!! I have a ton of clutter on my counter now...this could help clear it up! I need to go to staples anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing this one! I just may pop into staples today for one of these! I have been looking for something similar that I can also stash my flat iron in and the middle cup looks like just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check my Staples later today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had room on my desk for this! My makeshift storage is working for now, but I can see something like this in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I use this for all my nail stuff... nail art brushes, go to base and top coats, go to treatments, stamping stuff, etc. I love this thing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great way to organize your brushes and pencils! I currently use Hello Kitty boxes from the dollar bin at Target!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this! I just bought mine, and I LOVE it! I may have to run out and get a couple more! =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you SO MUCH for showing this...I went to Staples @ lunchtime today & got the last one. I was pleasantly surprised at how big & sturdy it is! I filled the deeper compartments about halfway up with uncooked rice so my brushes/pencils/etc don't get lost down in them. I'm seriously contemplating going to the other Staples in town tomorrow to see if they have any left...this thing is just what I needed! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhh Man...I was just @ Staples yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish I could design my own, this is close to perfect...but I'd get rid of the shallower sections for paper clips, push pins, change etc and instead of two layers of shallow sections I'd make them one but shorter than the other sections. Tall enough to hold glosses, lipsticks, primers, mascaras. Just like you, I would use the taller sections for brushes and pencils. I'd use a totally different organizer for blushes and eyeshadows. (Geez I'm such a complainer and Debbie Downer sometimes! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmmm now I'm thinking that those little shallow compartments might come in handy after all. I was just thinking that I don't know what to do with my short little kabuki and it would go in there perfect. Also shorter brushes like my little liner brushes or little concealer brushes. I have some that are tiny and prefer them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tip!

    It was so exciting to find this at Staples. I had a lot of fun looking through my make-up and deciding which products were my 'must-haves'

    The only problem was that the middle pocket was too deep for any of my things so I stuffed a small piece of cloth at the bottom. Works like a charm! I think a pair of old socks or cotton balls/tissue would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Omg, I wish I had seen this sooner! I gotta find my local Staples and hope this is on sale~ :D

    I've been needing a makeup organizer so bad.

    Thanks for sharing all the pics! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  31. I stopped by staples yesterday to just see if they had it, and was planning on spending $9.99 on it. Its still on sale for $5, so excited to set it up and start using it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is awesome! I am going to Staples today :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a fantastic idea! I always need tips on how to organize and store things. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I picked mine up at Walmart!! (It might be cheaper?)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Because I have a specific drawer for my makeup, I had limited space for an organizer; however, I am currently using three mini containers inside the drawer. I have a container for my eye makeup, my face makeup, and also one for my cheeks/lips!♡

    ReplyDelete
  36. I saw this post in 2014 when I started following your blog, got the organizer, and have been 100% satisfied ever since. (Although my makeup collection has expanded to clear organizers as well). This is a great value.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig