Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, August 20, 2010

Revlon Rock (from the limited edition Just Add Sparkle collection)

A few weeks ago I mentioned that sometimes Rite Aid puts products from limited edition displays on clearance (that's how I got Sally Hansen Sunflower for 50% off). Basically, when the displays are almost empty and they can't put the remaining products into the core collection displays (because they're limited edition) Rite Aid will often clearance these products for 50% off or more.  

So when I was checking out the clearance section at a local Rite Aid last week, I spotted the purple polish, Rock, from the Just Add Sparkle collection (click here for photos of that display). And it was on clearance for $2.99!  

Revlon Rock (retail: around $4.99)

Since the Just Add Sparkle collection offers pairs of polishes (a creme and a glittery top coat), one can argue that Rock was designed to be worn with its glittery counterpart, Star.  But since I'm a sucker for cremes, I don't mind not owning Star.

But what I do mind is that I couldn't get this polish to play nicely on my nails:



Can you see the bubbles? I tried three times to do manicures with this polish but each time I got bubbles. Plus, the brush itself was splayed like crazy, with bristles shooting out in all different directions. It was a funky brush--probably the funkiest I've ever seen! I had to use scissors to trim all the crazy renegade bristles, and I'm thinking that the funky brush is what made this polish bubble.

Anyway, as you can see, Rock is a murky purple creme. It's not sharp and vivid like other purple cremes in my collection, and it took me some time to get used to it on my fingers. Even now, I can't decide if I love it or hate it. 


I'm beginning to think that maybe the true beauty of Rock only comes out when you pair it with its glittery counterpart (or any glittery top coat). I'll have to try using one of my glitters over it and see if that helps. Right now, I'm kind of "meh" about this one.

What do you think? Do you own Rock or any other shades from the Just Add Sparkle collection? How do you like them?
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. The bubbles are fairly common for Revlon nailpolishes in my experience.
    What usually helps me with this issue is putting on a layer of white nailpolish (shimmery or creme, it doesn't matter) beforehand.
    I use Sinful Colors in "Tokyo Pearl" and it helps a lot whenever I use thin nailpolishes like the Revlon ones.
    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous colour. I haven't seen this collection in Canada yet, but definitely want that blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart! Love this.
    Not a fan of funky brushes. I'll look for this shade. I don't have anything from this ltd edition collex. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this up at Rite Aid along with Star, and I had zero issues (aside from trying to hold the awkward cap). Perhaps you got a bad bottle...? Or maybe my memory is fuzzy, lol. Anyway, I liked it a lot, esp. w/star layered over it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any crap Revlon polishes you're holding over for the Zoya exchange? Maybe you can take the brush from an old one, clean it up of course, and then trade it for the wonky one in Rock? I'll bet the bad brush is adding extra bubbles and probably some streakiness too.

    I always get at least a couple bubbles in my manicures, but it's from unsteady hands is my guess, although Sally Hansens seem to get more bubbles than any other brand with me.

    My other suggestion is that you break out the Out the Door Northern Lights top coat and layer that over Rock. I bet it will be a better combination than if you had Revlon Star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, it looks more like a navy purple mix than what I thought! It looks pretty, but the bubbles sound terrible!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy bubbles! I like the color though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same problem with bubbles when I bought Revlon's "Minted" creme earlier this summer. So bummed! No funky brush though. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the Revlon creme polishes. They never set right for me and always stay super tacky to the touch, even with drying drops. If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That color is awesome!!

    I find Revlon to be tacky too. I also think the tips wear off too quickly

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig