Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, August 20, 2010

NOTD: Milani Dress Maker + Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure

It's hard to deny that one of the hottest shades of nail polish at the drugstore these days is Milani Dress Maker, from the limited edition Haute Value collection. Riding the wave of the current mint-green polish trend, Dress Maker's unique combination of yellow-based pastel green with kelly-green shimmer is a winner all the way around (even if the texture of this polish leaves a bit to be desired).

So for my manicure this week, I thought I'd take Dress Maker and put another cult-favorite on top of it: Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure. Just like so many others, I'm guilty of layering Hidden Treasure over everything but the kitchen sink, just to see how these pretty flakies can work their magic. But on Dress Maker, I'm inclined to say it's a match made in nail polish heaven.  The golden-embers effect of Hidden Treasure over the jadite-esque effect of Dress Maker gives this look both a vintage and modern feel that I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with at the moment. 

Here are several pics taken in various forms of lighting (natural, no flash, indoors with flash and indoors without flash) to give you a feel for this combo:







So, do you like Hidden Treasure layered over Dress Maker? Or do you think the beauty of Dress Maker should be left alone? You can see Dress Maker all by itself here.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Great combo! I think Dress Maker looks great both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't think to put HT over DM when I bought it and put it on last week. I layered Piggy Polish Mermaid over DM to get more shine. But I like your idea better - and the combo mimics the bottle color with the gold labeling over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun combo, personally I like HT over dark colors but that is just me! I had the milani CP'd for me, it was ok but not great formula wise... I just bought the Jordana dupe (you probably know they are owned by the same company?) which was wayyyy cheaper. I ordered directly from Jordana and the shipping was $5, whether I ordered one polish or ten. So naturally, I ordered 10. Of the SAME POLISH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubba Hubba! *swoonin*. Great swatches. BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i love this combo. it reminds me of a mermaid!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dressmaker is beautiful. I think mint greens are here to stay. lol. Haven't seen it yet around my way...will have to keep my eyes peeled.

    Hidden Treasure looks like it's made for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg those are absolutely beautiful together! i love the sheen it gives off....looks like im gonna have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually prefer Dressmaker without the SH Hidden Treasure...but it's not like it looks bad layered!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this combo! Its fresh and funky at the same time!

    Love Hidden Treasure over greens :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ping: Thanks! I do too. :)

    deniseska: I'd love to know what you think if you try this combo. And you're totally right! It does mimic the bottle!

    socialitedreams: I agree! It really works with every color, doesn't it? ;)

    jbrobeck: Hum! I knew that Milani and Jordana were owned by the same company but I wasn't aware that there was a Jordana dupe for Dress Maker! Is it a very close/exact dupe?? I know that LA Colors has a good dupe of Chanel Jade (I posted about that a while back) but I'll have to check my local beauty supply that has a ton of Jordana polishes and look for this one. Thanks for the heads-up, sweetie!

    1xellus1: LOL! You are so welcome, sweetie! xo

    Pretty: Now that you say that, I totally agree! It does! :D

    Mocha Mish Mash: From one mint green lover to another, you NEED this one. LOL! xo

    Liana: Thanks hun! I'd love to know what you think if you try this combo. :)

    Tiff: Thanks for the feedback! I can see your point, but right now I'm just digging this combo. lol. :)

    PCS: Thanks love! :)

    tasha~: Thanks sweetie! I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! Pretty - love this combination. Looking forward to having a 'dress maker' of my own to play with!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that combo is gorgeous. i've been looking for hidden treasure everywhere and had no luck finding it. i've even turned to ebay to see if anyone is selling it, but i'll be damned if i pay $20 for a bottle, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jordana does have a Dupe for Milani Dress Maker/Chanel Jade. It's "Mint Candy" and I just got it today. Looks exactly the same but even cheaper. Mint Candy was only $1.49 plus shipping. You can get it from Cherry Culture or directly from Jordana. MakeupAlly has some pictures of the three polishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for HT for forever :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried Dress Maker with High Fashion on top, the gold flakie one that was part of this Milani collection. I like the look of gold on it. Reminds me of gold jade jewelery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great. I love Hidden Treasures. I'll have to go get it. I have a few of the mint green polishes already, so I prob won't get Dress Maker.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig