Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 8, 2010

The infamous HiP 510 (maybe my boldest eye look to date)

After the minor hysteria caused by the (re)release of the infamous L'Oreal HiP 510 Eyeshadow Duo (click here if you have no idea what I'm talking about!) I decided that I wanted to photograph an eye look using just the two shades in this duo. Because really, the colors are so pigmented, these two colors are ALL you need to achieve a really dramatic look.


Longtime readers will know that I tend to be pretty conservative with my eyeshadow. I'm a huge fan of earthtones, neutrals, golden olives and, of course, bronzes. Rarely do I do anything dramatic or flashy with my eyes, but the gorgeous foil-y taupe in the 510 duo just screams to be worn, and worn proudly. It's probably not the best look for daytime (I wore it on 4th of July and Mr. R pretty much said, "Whoa!" every time he caught a glimpse of my lids) so unless you use a very light hand, this probably isn't office material. But for the weekends or going out on the town at night? I cannot think of another drugstore eyeshadow I would reach for at the moment.

I'm posting several pics here to help show you just how shimmery and intense this is--but please note that it's even crazier in person!


For this look, I used the taupe side of the duo on my lid and then I blended it up into my crease. Then I used the dark plum shade on the outer "V" of my eye. Then I used a fluffy blender brush to blend and soften everything up a bit.

To line my eyes, I used the plum side of the duo with the help of the Prestige Line Creator.

I used my trusty Maybelline Define-A-Brow pencil in Dark Blonde on my brows, and Maybelline The Falsies Mascara in Blackest Black on my lashes.



I did this look in a hurry so if you look closely, you'll see that there is some fallout around my eyes. But if I take my time, I can easily control the fallout and it's not that bad considering how insanely sparkly this shadow is to begin with. I haven't even dared to try applying this shadow wet because, really, it's foil-y enough dry, don't ya think?

So, have you gotten your hands on the infamous 510 yet? So far it seems to only be available at CVS, and it's not in the permanent display. You'll have to look for this counter display to find it.

I'd love to hear from you if own this! How do you use it?
SHARE:

28 comments

  1. Yay for a bolder look. You should do this more often, it's pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn rockin' it! really nice look. I always look so frosty with these but that's a killer look you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh it looks lovely! I want it! Dman L'Oreal Hip not being sold in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, but I would LOVE to see you with a tad of color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so GOOD! I'm going to RUN out and buy it!

    Thanks for all your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, its looking good! I didnt know anything about this infamous HiP duo, but I sure do want it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks nice! i was at CVS yesterday and didn't see it though.... i was gonna buy 'cause they have bogo 1/2 off and the machine printed out a $2/2 coupon too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never seen Hip in my life but if i'd ever seen any, i'd surely try it out. the EOTD is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of 510 Electrified before the ruckus it caused when it was re-released, and I immediately ran out to CVS and was able to buy the last one in the display with a coupon and my CVS ECB! I love this color- I don't care whether its work appropriate or not, I dare to wear it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with Vex - love it, looks gorgeous and damn L'Oreal HIP for not being available in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that they only had one of these left at my CVS on Monday but I didn't have any cash or any of my coupons on hand. So I quickly grabbed this off the new display and hid it behind a couple of the Sculpted eyeshadows :) Then the next day I came in with my $1 off Loreal coupon + got a $2/2 Loreal CVS coupon (from the slot machine) + with the BOGO50% I snagged this shadow and Sculpted for about $10 :) I got Sassy for 50cents on Saturday because of the 30% sale and I had a $1 coupon and $4.50 extrabucks :D

    Thanks so much for blogging about this! I love the plummy shade and probably wouldnt have known about it until reading your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really gorgeous look on you! Nice color placement and blending.

    ReplyDelete
  13. H: I'll work on that!! :D

    Muse: Why thank you! I'm willing to bet that if you tried this one, it would look more foil-y than frosty. Give it a whirl! :D

    Vex: Thanks so much! And yeah, I'm so sorry you can't get these in the UK. That totally sucks. :(

    Dominique: I will definitely try to post more "colorful" looks in the future! Even if I don't wear them out of the house, I'll do them for the blog! LOL. :)

    Miss K: Yay!! Get it, get it! Hahah. :D

    adorepink: OMG, you neeeed this duo! It would look freaking amazing on you! :)

    Joyce: Wow, you are so ready to go when you find this! You'll save a bundle! :)

    jojoba: Thank you so much, honey! I wish you could see these in person and try them. :(

    Heather: You go, girl! haha! So glad you were able to find this! :)

    BJL: I am so mad you gals don't have access to these! That really, really sux. :(

    AngelicBB: OMG, you scored!! What a shrewd shopper you are! Love it! Haha. And you are so very welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phyrra: Thank you so much! Coming from you, I'm taking that as a HUGE compliment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. i got this eyeshadiw thnx to u and its so gorgeous ..Thanks for your recommendation and it looks so gorgeous on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for telling us about this! the purple is gorgeous and that shiny taupe is soo pretty. its hard to find that kind of color that will look good on someone pale like me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My CVS doesn't have that display! I even checked ebay and can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow those shadows are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG!!! I need this duo in my life soon! Very Pretty Look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha - "Whoa!" is right. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to you, I got this the next time I was in a CVS. I did see it at Ulta but figured I'd get it at CVS since I had a $1 off coupon and they had the BOGO 1/2 off. I, too, had the $2 CVS bucks. So when I just happen to find it, I snagged it right up!

    Now....to use it!!!! I like how you did it on your eyes. Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For anyone in Oregon and Washington and perhaps NorCal, Fred Meyer has this display! They have the original and the new versions. I bought 3 total because I love it so much!

    Gorgeous look! Thats pretty much exactly how I use it too. Although I love to pack mine on. I didn't even think of using it wet...duhhh! The texture of the taupe reminds me of Urban Decay's baked and twice baked. Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh, this looks absolutely beautiful on you! Now, I have to go find this! Thanks for posting, and mark this look as a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your bold eye look!

    Just spotted Electrified 510 and the other rereleased metallic HiP shadow duos in a new display at my local Walmart (in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) yesterday. Looked like a permanent display.

    I grabbed Electrified 510 on eBay a while back, and it's my favorite of the dozen or so HiP shadow duos I own.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually saw this in Rite Aid this morning. Now I have to hope its not gone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just have to throw in my WOW to you, too! TIP: get freaky wid' it NOW... enjoy playing makeup while you can. Once a little crepiness (sp?) sets in, brights and shineys will not be your friends. You absolutely rocked this and it does amazing things for your eyes. It'd be a shame to miss out. (That said, I'm buying it anyway. Maybe I figure out some way to work it. If not, a certain 29 year old I know raids my makeup bag regularly and I am SURE she would make good use of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love love love this look! I'm very conservative with my eye makeup too but you may have convinced me to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found this at Wal-Mart over the weekend. So check there if you're looking for it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig