Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The best $1 liquid eyeliner I've ever owned (and a bonus Almay Pure Blends Eyeshadow mini-review)

I've recently reignited my love of liquid liners. I stopped using them for a while because I think I became obsessed with getting the perfect "tick" on the outside corner of my eye (the cat-eye look) and I felt that I either made it too thick or too thin and it became this issue where I finally said, "Forget it. I'll just use pencils."

But after watching a few youtube videos like this one, I decided to give liquid liners another try. I love the look of wearing a light, shimmery neutral shade of eyeshadow, a thick line of liquid liner on the top lid only, and tons of mascara on my bottom and top lashes. Pair this eye look with a peachy shade of blush on the apples of your cheeks and (surprise!) a nice pinky-brown creme lipstick or gloss and I think it looks sleek and smart and makes you look well put together without having to wear a ton of makeup or take a lot of time to acheive.

I instantly reverted back to my very favorite liner, Almay Liquid Liner, which I love because the tip is made of hard felt and it's very easy to get a precise line without any mess. Also, this formula lasts like crazy but it's not waterproof so you don't have to tug or use makeup remover to take it off. Basically, I adore it.

But it's also $7.99 and I wanted to find a more economical liquid liner that is just as good, quality-wise, but for less money. Now, I've been burned by cheap liquid liners in the past that have a watered-down pigmentation that makes you have to go over your line three or four times before it's dark enough. What I hate about those formulas is that when you go over the line, sometimes the pressure of the brush makes the line disappear and you're left with a spotty mess.

Let me tell you that I never expected to find a reliable, quality liner at Dollar Tree, but that's exactly what happened. Have you tried L.A. Colors Liquid Eyeliner? For just one dollar, you get a perfectly precise line that lasts and lasts (even through this hot Southern California heatwave) and doesn't budge until you take it off. Also, it's water-resistant but not waterproof, so it easily removes with your normal facial cleanser. I absolutely love it!

I purchased Black-Brown and my bottle looks slightly different than the bottle on the L.A. Colors website (the website shows a bottle that looks more like a mascara tube):


The applicator is a long, thin brush, which I normally do not like in a liquid liner. But this brush is quite firm so it's not flopping around all over the place creating a mess on your lids:


After applying this from the inner corner of my eye and extending it to the outer corner and making that little "tick" at the end, I was so happy with the results! Obviously I had to go over the original line a bit to achieve a thicker, cleaner line, but I didn't encounter any problems whatsoever with going over the original line a second time. The pigmentation was great the first time and going over the line to make it thicker was a snap.

The one thing I did notice was that the liner isn't really a true brown-black, but almost a blackish-taupe. Basically this is a less harsh version of very dark black but the fact that I didn't really pick up brown in the color doesn't bother me at all:




By the way, this was taken after one coat of Prestige My Biggest Lashes and Almay Pure Blends Eyeshadow in Oatmeal from lid to crease. I am really liking this Almay shadow, which I purchased in a BOGO 50% off sale along with my Almay Liquid Liner. I think the retail price for the eyeshadow is $7 and I love that it's 98.2% natural, the packaging is made from post-consumer recycled material, it's sheer but noticeable, and it blends like a dream. Also, it doesn't crease and it lasts all day even without a base. The pigmentation isn't intense, but these are made to be sheer so if you're looking for a nice wash of color, I highly suggest them.

So that's it. A one-dollar liquid liner that really works. I am so happy about this discovery! Have you tried L.A. Looks Liquid Liner? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Thanks for the review. I just tagged you for a blog award! write-sizing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathleen! Thank you sooo much! I am truly honored! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of these eyeliners too, and I couldn't be happier - especially for the price! Great review! I'll have to post about mine, and list your review as well, when I get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Meredith! I'm so glad you can back me up on these--they are really an unexpected score in the world of inexpensive beauty, huh? I would *love* to read your review if you write one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought almay pure blends eyeshadow in oatmeal as well! I got it at rite aid for 75% off on clearance. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started using liquid liners also. I got the one by Revlon (not the pen though). I'm mostly impressed with how well it stays on. It will be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried the e.l.f liquid eyeliner? I have it in Black. It's only $1 too, and it is opaque in one coat and lasts forever. Love it!!! Will look out for the L.A. Colors one too and try to get it so I can compare =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the LA Colors Intense Lining Formula liquid eyeliner. It is water resistant & doesn't contain ferric ammonium ferrocycanide (a known eye irritant ingredient). $2 at my discount store comes with the liquid liner, a short pencil, & pencil sharpener. Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig