Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review: Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Skincare

I have to admit, I don't review a lot of skincare products on my blog because, when it comes to skincare, I'm a low-maintenance kind of gal. So I was very excited to receive two (not 5 or 6) new products from Burt's Bees: Naturally Ageless skincare line to review. I like things simple and uncomplicated and a good daytime lotion and nighttime cream are about all that I can handle on a daily basis.

After Long's Drugs was purchased by CVS a while back, it has become harder for some of us on the West Coast to find some of the more popular Burt's Bees skincare products in stores (Tomato Toner and Carrot Complexion Soap, to name a few). So I was delighted to test these new products because they appear to have much wider distribution in my area (I can find them at my local Walgreen's, CVS and Rite-Aid stores).

Let's begin with the Naturally Ageless Line Diminishing Day Lotion (retail: $24, 2 oz):

Now, the price of this product is a little steep, but when you compare it to the latest skincare products from Olay and L'Oreal, it's pretty comparable. What struck me first about this product is that it comes in a glass bottle with a pump. The packaging is sleek and impressive for a drugstore product, that's for sure.

What I really love about this product is that you don't get a huge amount of product with one pump (don't you hate it when a pump bottle delivers a huge amount of product on the first pump and you end up wasting product every time you use it?). I find that three quick pumps gives me enough product for my entire face.

The other thing I love about this product is the smell. Oh my goodness. It smells like pomegranate candy! I'm sure that has to do with the fact that this lotion contains pomegranate extract, which is a fantastic antioxidant. I should also add that this product is paraben, phthalate, sulfate and petrochemical free (yay!) and is 99.0% natural.

The fact that it's free from potentially harmful ingredients and is so natural is a wonderful thing, but does it work? Well, I've been using this every morning for almost three weeks and I can tell you that my skin definitely feels soft and a little more "plump". In this hot weather, I LOVE the fact that it absorbs quickly into my skin and it hasn't interfered with my concealer or foundation one bit. I've also been using it as an eye cream and it's helped to plump up my fine lines around my eyes as well. Also, I haven't experienced any breakouts, which is something I always fear when I change moisturizers. I really love this lotion and I'm seriously considering making a permanent switch from my existing moisturizer (CeraVe).

Next we have Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Skin Firming Night Creme (retail: $24, 2 oz):
Again, this product comes in a glass jar and it looks quite sleek and impressive. It has the same wonderfully delicious pomegranate candy fragrance (sweet, tart and so yummy) because it also contains pomegranate extract, as well as white birch bark and para cress. Here's a breakdown of what these ingredients can do for you skin:

Pomegranate: One of nature's most powerful antioxidants; helps fight free radical damage responsible for the breakdown of collagen and elastic
White Birch Bark Extract: Helps restore firmness to the skin
Para Cress Extract: Known to help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles

This night creme is also paraben and phthalate free. Fantastic, but does it work? Well, I've been using this every night for almost three weeks and I can tell you that I have been waking up with super soft, smooth skin and again, my skin just feels "plumper" than usual. The fine lines around my eyes are less noticeable and the texture of my skin looks and feels a bit smoother. Also, I have experienced no breakouts while using this product, which makes me very happy.

Final Analysis: If you're in the market for a new daytime or nighttime moisturizer and fine lines and wrinkles are a concern for you, I would definitely consider Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless line. The formulas are 99.0% natural, free from harsh chemicals and they work quite well to moisturize your skin without leaving it feeling greasy. Plus, the fragrance is so nice I find myself wanting to use these products more than twice a day.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Antioxidants break down in the presence of light and air. So the first lotion looks like it has a clear bottle? If so the lotion is exposed to light. The second cream comes in a tub, and will get exposed to air everytime you open it, so if you are looking for antioxidants, these are not a good bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon--thanks for the comment! As with the new crop of soaps and shower gels containing antioxidants (Dial, Tone, etc.) I like to think of these as an extra benefit of the products, not the sole reason to purchase them. I personally like these products more for what they DON'T contain. :)

    There's no doubt that my skin felt more "plump" after three weeks of use, and a little softer and smoother, but I cannot say those had anything, or nothing, to do with the pomegranate extract (antioxidant). As with everything I review, your mileage may vary. But thanks so much for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use the night cream and i love it! i'm so glad you did a review on the other product. i'm really liking the burt's bees naturally ageless line. have you tried any other products?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty-Girl! I'm glad you're liking this line as well. :) The only other product in the Naturally Ageless line, that I know of, is the eye cream (which I have not yet tried). As for other Burt's Bees skincare products in general, I really like the Carrot Complexion soap and I used to use the Tomato Toner until it became difficult to find. It's fantastic. Also, the boyfriend really loves their men's products (specifically the after shave lotion). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I normally don't like shopping on ebay too much (due to past 'bad' experiences), I found that this skincare line is much cheaper on ebay! You can find them in the $10 range which makes it much more affordable (for me) lol :) I'm going to try out some of these... I'm not sure about how the container affects the product >< since I find that most creams come in tubs, even the more expensive brands like Estee Lauder. Hm, I guess that's something I can look up on the side :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Siluet! Thanks so much for the great tip about ebay! I totally didn't even think about that! :) xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig