Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Review: L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara






So when I saw this display at Rite-Aid, and then I saw Shakeup*your*Makeup's review, I knew I had to try it for myself. As you can see in the pic above, my lashes are pretty much non-existent without mascara. Volume is a real concern for me (even more so than length) so if a mascara has the word "volume" in it I am all over it (especially since my beloved Max Factor Volume Couture Mascara is about to become unavailable here in the US).

L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara is available at Ulta and just about every major US retail outlet where L'Oreal products are sold. The retail price is around $7.99 (but it's on sale right now at Ulta for $5.99). Since I'm not a fan of WP mascaras (just because I simply don't care for using eye makeup remover) I purchased Washable Blackest Black.

The first thing I noticed about this mascara is how lovely the packaging is--it's a black tube encased in clear lucite. So sleek! Also, the brush is a traditional bristle brush (nice and big but not ridiculously humongous, and it has an hourglass shape), as opposed to a rubber brush. Something I like very much is that when you pull the brush out of the tube, it barely touches the inside of the tube. I like this because you're not wiping most of the product off the wand before you use it, and I also like how smooth the motion is when you're removing and replacing the wand.

Surprisingly, even though the wand is not a tight fit on the opening of the tube, you're not left with a lot of extra gunk on the bristles. I've found that I'm left with the perfect amount of product for building nice volume without clumping. The "after" pics above were taken after two coats, but I would like to note that I tried three coats and it was even better. I had really thick, dramatic, deep black lashes and the lengthening property was good as well. So yes, clumping is not an issue, but I'm afraid there are some other issues I must tell you about.

I tried to capture this in the photos so I hope you can see it: This mascara gathers at the ends of your lashes, leaving a glob of product on each individual lash. You can easily remove these little globs by just pinching them with your fingers, but who wants to have to do that? Now, I don't really consider this a clumping issue because, for me, clumping is when the product encases several lashes together in a heavy amount of product. Lash separation was not an issue; just the little ball-like globs on the tips of my lashes.

Another problem for me was flaking. This didn't happen instantly, but I found that throughout the course of the day, my eyes felt a little itchy and, sure enough, it was due to flakes. Also, as is the problem with several other L'Oreal mascaras I've used over the years, this one tends to smear under my lower lashes after about four hours (I blame that more on my oily skin than the product itself).

Final Analysis: If I'm going out for a night on the town, this is going to be my go-to mascara because I love the volume it gives my lashes. When I'm getting ready to go out at night I have extra time to remove the "globs" on the tips of my lashes, as opposed to getting ready in the morning when I barely have enough time to put on mascara at all. Also, since my nights on the town consist of about 4 hours these days, I won't have to worry about the flaking or smearing. As for using this as my daily mascara, no way. I just simply don't have the time to fuss with this and worry about flaking and smearing throughout the day. This product has great volume and impact but, for me, it's strictly for nighttime use.

If you've tried L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara, I'd love to know your personal experience--is it similar to mine?
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. yeah, I am in the process of testing this mascara. I am encountering smudging. It is a touch too creamy. It give nice volume, but I agree there are better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, the main ingredients in this mascara are Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate,; Acrylates Copolymer, and Beeswax. Paraffin is a beeswax substitute made from petroleum. It is colorless or white, has no odor, has a greasy texture, and can also be derived from wood, coal, or shale oil. It is often used in foot baths, wax depilatories, mascara, and candles. Not the best ingredient, but you get what you pay for. Potassium Cetyl Phosphate. is the emulsifier here. Acrylates Copolymer is actually commonly used in hairspray. In this formula however, it's what keeps the thickening agents onto your lashes. This is probably why your lashes flake and feel crunchy after a while. Beeswax is another emulsifier/thickener, which probably helps to add volume to your lashes. Collagen is included, but in an extremely small amount. Unfortuanately, the only thing it does is make the product sound cool. So, to reiterate your main point, it's okay but not the best out there. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi T! I'm glad I'm not the only one to encounter the smudging issue--I thought it was just my insanely oily skin that was the problem! Looking forward to reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony! I am speechless! Thank you so much for your beyond-thoughtful comment. Leave it to you to break it all down for us, ingredient by ingredient. :) I love how you pinpointed the exact cause of the flakiness. This is so helpful because now, when searching for a new mascara, I can try to avoid this ingredient altogether. You are the best, and again, thank you for taking the time to share all of this useful info with me and my readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ultimate favorite is the L'oreal double. I've used it for many years now.

    Just to see if there was anything better out there, I bought the recommended new winners in Lucky and Allure and they were all much much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marina! Thanks for the comment. Sadly, I have yet to find a L'Oreal mascara that really works for me (they all tend to run and smudge on my oily skin). So I'm glad that the Double mascara seems to work so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this product last week in duty free at a cost of €18 (considerably more expensive than in the states!), and I'm having problems with irritating, smudging and clumping. This morning I had to use a pin to separate my lashes!

    I cant bring it back to the retailer and have tried to find somewhere online to submit a complaint/query.

    Maybe as Anthony highlighted there are some ingredients that irritate me, I'll cross reference same off other mascaras.

    Anyone any hints for clumping?

    Cadenza, Dublin, Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Thanks for your comment and I'm so sorry that you are experiencing the same issues that I had with this mascara. About the only thing I can suggest is to purchase a fine-tooth metal lash comb to help with the clumping. Metal combs seem to be more sturdy than plastic ones and generally work better to help separate lashes. Google "metal lash comb" and several should pop up, like this one:

    http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2045868&productId=33893&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80084

    I wish I could help you with finding an email address for complaints about this product but I haven't looked into that. Hopefully all of the lukewarm and negative reviews on beauty blogs such as mine will be enough of a message to them and they'll revamp this product in the future.

    Thanks again and please do let me know if you have any other questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It bothers me that your mascara models are OBVIOUSLY wearing fake eyelashes. Falsely advertising that your product will make your eyelashes look that way. I'm not so naive as to believe that your product will make my eyelashes look as advertised. Very disappointed. You shouldn't lie to get people to buy your product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi theblackrose900! Regarding your comment, I want to let you know that you can find my detailed response to your concerns here:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/11/dear-theblackrose900-i-am-not-loreal.html

    I hope this clears up your misunderstandings. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi girl, thanks for the review. I bought it a few months ago and yes, it smudges when used in high heat environments--though I have only used the regular formula, not the waterproof one. Other than that, I really like it. I agree that it gives the false eyelashes look I love, specially at night. I'll probably buy the WP formula next.

    I'm gonna be posting some pics soon.

    Another L'oreal mascara I bought is the Lash Out--waterproof. I'm loving it.

    Hope you are having a fun weekend my friend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It gives me spider eyes, so I have to spend some time on seperating the lashes with a pin (I know that some people like spider eyes; I don't!). When I close my eyes, the upper lashes stick to the lower lashes - all the day! I have no problems with smudging. It's very easy to remove in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought this mascara and want to throw it away after only a few usages. The tube is barely two weeks old and it clumps/flakes every single time I use it. It barely even made my lashes longer, just a thick mess. What a waste of money and time, because now I have to go buy another mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dislike this mascara so much, I was almost inclined to write a letter to loreal to share my discontent (I've never done such a thing)- they have no form or email available on their canadian website though. It's clumpy and flaky, i constantly have to wipe off huge blobs of excess off the brush and the price was outrageous. I was swayed into buying it because it was packaged with a free L'oreal eye liner, which is even worse quality than the mascara! will never buy l'oreal mascara again.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig