Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spotted: new City Colors nail polish collection

I've noticed lately that Rite Aid has been carrying some interesting and super-affordable City Colors products (click here to see their eyeshadows and lipglosses, and here to see their peacock bronzers). And last week I spotted a new nail polish collection!

City Colors Nail Polish
(retail: $1.99 each)


There are some cremes, shimmers and maybe even a jelly in this new collection. The coral shade on the far right looks like a jelly and it's SUPER sheer, so it may be a good shade to use for a syrup manicure!

To me, the stand-out shade is the mint green (these polishes don't have names). I purchased it and wanted to show you some swatches:

 (indoors with flash)

 (outdoors no flash)

I own a ton of mint green polishes, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say this may be my favorite of ALL TIME. I think I prefer it over my other favorite mint greens such as  LA Colors Green Satin, Milani Dress Maker and Sinful Colors Mint Apple

I know that Milani Dress Maker seems to be the popular consensus when it comes to a Chanel Jade dupe, and I don't think this City Colors mint green shade has enough yellow in it to come close, in case you were curious (although the bottle itself is a Chanel dupe!).

But that said, the reason why this is my new favorite mint green polish is because I adore the subtle green shimmer running through it, and the overall color has such a beautiful, ethereal quality to it. It's so soft and delicate and mermaid-y!

So if you have a Rite Aid near you, I say definitely check out this mint green shade from City Colors. It applied like a dream (sheer at first, but NOT streaky--I used three coats in the above swatches). The brush is very thin, which is fine by me, and the bristles are translucent. Also, the brush isn't uneven or jagged or wonky, which is always a plus. I've been wearing this shade for three days now with only minimal tip-wear and no chipping (Orly Bonder is my base coat and Seche Vite is my top coat).

What a VERY nice surprise!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. The coral/watermelon color is def a jelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up the same mint color, and I love it. Good thing, too, because that color sold out very fast. I'll get the yellow eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw these too!! beautiful colors:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for these. I think I may have accidentally looked them over the other day. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a gorgeous mint green! I've seen this display at my RA before but never really looked at it.

    Do you happen to have the list of ingredients? I couldn't find it online. TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOhhh!! Im in! Love mint green colors and that is beautiful i think i will try the yellow too as Wet N Wild's spring colors are still no where to be found by me! I am longing for a soft yellow that doest make my nails look like I have a fungus (thats what my mom says LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up all six, and they are all pretty sheer, but they build up very nicely. I'm extremely surprised with the yellow. Most yellows are too warm for my cool skin tone, and this actually complements it well.

    I wish the coral jelly had more umph to it, though =/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used the mint green last night, and it is lovely! As much as I love the mint green cremes (which I have several versions of!) I'm really enjoying the shimmer and softness of this one.

    The yellow is waiting to be tried. It looks like it will be a flattering yellow, and I'm hoping the texture will match the green and not be streaky. I have a love/hate relationship with yellow nail polish. I fall in love while it's in the bottle, and then I'm usually disappointed once it's on the nail. But this time it will be different! Haha.

    I almost gave myself an "accent nail" in yellow, but decided it would be a bit too "easter egg" looking for work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought that jelly coral hot pink last night at Rite Aid and I found your blog post just now while searching around to see what other colors the company makes.

    I have dark skin, and I'm not sure if I like the color I got. It reminds me of a bright pink Barbie nail polish I had when I was a little kid. It was kind of a fake nail polish that was more like some kind of liquid plastic that would peel right off. This was 30 years ago, so I won't be surprised if no one remembers these little kid polishes.

    Anyways, I love how shiny and translucent the color is, but with two coats, you can still see through the tips. Since my nails are a little bit uneven in length, and the white edge under each nail is totally different, this color looks a little bit messy on me.

    I bet this color would look incredible over a white nail polish base coat. The only challenge would be to getting even consistent color. The nail polish isn't streaky, it's just very sheer... almost like a water finish.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig