Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 25, 2009

Can't afford Chanel Jade? Try L.A. Colors Green Satin!

Way back in May, one of my girlfriends and I placed a big order at The Makeup Mix Shop. It was the first time either one of us had ordered anything from the lovely Makeup Masala, so we kind of went crazy and bought a ton of awesome, hard-to-find drugstore makeup products (several items I have still yet to try and/or review). But one particular item from that haul caught my attention the other night when I was going through my nail polish stash:




Now, in case you've been living under a rock for the past few months and you missed out on all the Chanel Jade hysteria, let me fill you in. This shade is hot, hot, hot. It is the shade of the moment. It is so in demand that it's currently sold out on the Chanel website. Women around the world have been clamoring to get this lovely lacquer at a mere $25 a bottle.


[edit: 10/26/09] I originally wrote that the main difference between L.A. Colors "Green Satin" and Chanel Jade was that Green Satin has shimmer/sheen while Chanel Jade is a milky creme. But thanks to the wonderful Amber at Beauty Junkies Unite, I now know that Chanel Jade DOES have subtle shimmer (but just not as much as "Green Satin"). Take a peek at Amber's awesome pics of Chanel Jade here and see for yourself. Thanks for havin' my back, A!

So even though Chanel Jade has less shimmer, once "Green Satin" is on your nails, it's so darn pretty that I don't think you'll care:







You wanna know what I'm thinking when I have "Green Satin" on my nails?

"I just saved myself 23 bucks!"

Honestly, after seeing swatch after swatch of Chanel Jade on many a beauty blog, L.A. Colors "Green Satin" is a close enough match for me. I'm totally happy with it and it sure beats the heck out of spending $25 on a bottle of nail polish.

Unfortunately, "Green Satin" is not currently available at The Makeup Mix Shop. However, the color is still in production (you can view it here on the L.A. Colors website) and I was able to locate another site that sells it for $1.75 (I have never shopped this site so I can't tell you much about it). Or, you can always go to your favorite dollar store or beauty supply that carries L.A. Colors in your area and pick up a bottle there.

Oh and one more thing: "Green Satin" goes on streaky but mellows down after the second coat. A good top coat will level out the streaks, so no worries. In the pics above, I used Orly Bonder Base Coat, three coats of "Green Satin" and Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat.

SHARE:

23 comments

  1. WoW looks really similar..i will have to put this color on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute green! & I would never pay 25$ for a nail polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mama Jen! I'd love to know what you think if/when you get it. :)

    Hey Gaby! Yeah, $25 for a bottle of nail polish is just way too much for me too. Which is all the more reason that L.A. Colors rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This stuff is awesome! My favorite shade is party pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have shopped at that site. I Love it!!! Very fast delivery and great customer service. It's better than Cherry Culture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first saw this brand in cherryculture dot com, and it was a total surprise how cheap it is, specially if you want to try this kind of colors without paying 25 for a bottle of nail polish!!

    Chanel had other 2 colors that were all hype: Black Satin and Vendetta, 25 a pop (way too much for something that will be all messed up after washing the dishes :P), and i was lucky enough to find very similar colors in chilean drugstore brands like Petrizzio or japanese Konad Regular Polish for less than 3 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love green nail polish! i saw a post somewhere that max factor volume couture is your fave mascara. You can stock up on them at drugstore.com. I am getting my max factor from there since i am unsure if rite aid still sells them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing. I like chanel jade but I'd NEVER shell out the money, my goodness.

    Nonpareil Boutique is FANTASTIC. I have bought from them several times, and they have reeeeally great customer service. Like the commenter above said, they are better chan cherryculture. They may not have everything CC does in stock, but if they carry the brand you can ask for a particular shade and they will get it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh man, I've had my eye on that nonpareil website for a while now! From what I can tell, MUAers have positive experiences with that site. Plus, they have some Kleancolor palettes I've been dying for! I predict an order in the near future! Thanks for the dupe alert! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this! Jade green is growing on me. I can easily see this color worn during Spring too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. princess azure: Thanks! I will definitely have to look for that color (love pinks!). :)

    anon: Thanks for the tip! :)

    Phyrra: Thank you! xo

    Elena: Lucky you! I love finding dupes and it sounds like you got some great ones. I'm jealous. :)

    bananabubbletea--your screen name makes me thirsty. Love bubble tea! :) Thank you so much for the tip about Max Factor Volume Couture! I loooove that mascara but since MF will soon no longer be available in the US, I've been testing out new mascaras to find a replacement (so far I'm loving Prestige My Biggest Lashes and Revlon 3D). But it wouldn't hurt to stock up on Volume Couture while it's still available, right? :) xo

    Alyson: Ooooh, thank you so much for that! With a glowing review like yours, I'd be a fool to not order from them. I have been wanting to try Kleancolor for years so here's a perfect excuse! xo

    femputer: I think we are both going to have to place some orders in the near future! Too funny that we both have our eye on Kleancolor (but not surprising!). If you order some things, definitely consider Green Satin (heck, I might even get a back-up at these prices). xo

    Fabuless Beauty: Get it! Get it! lol. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm not a nail person but this is a very cool find! next time i'm at the store i'm going to look for this nail polish just coz it's the IT thing. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I though they only have that brand in Urban Outfitters (and they are like 6 bucks a piece.) The color looks cute but not really that similar to jade imo, but I never like jade that much either (since everybody is raving about the color, I got a little bit sick of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anon! Wow, coming from a non-nail-polish-person, I am taking that as a compliment! :) I'd love to know what you think of it if you find it. :)

    Hi Citrine! I haven't been into Urban Outfitters in a long time, but if they are selling L.A. Colors for six bucks a bottle, they are making one heck of a profit! I have never seen anything by L.A. Colors retail for more than $2, and most things are $1 and can be found at the 99-cent store. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. freakin sweet!! awesome find, and uhh, i'm totally gonna buy this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This shade is beautiful. And what a coincidence that I'm having a love affair with LA Girl polishes! I bought an LA Girl gray polish from Forever 21 in Parkway Plaza and it's by far the best one I've ever used! Goes on smooth and looks so good with my tan, olive skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH NO! Nonpareil appears to be out of Green Satin! What will I do now?!? *panic*

    Word travels fast in the MU world, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey kellie! Yay!! I would love to see you wear this in one of your unbelievable flawless nail posts! (Gee, can you tell I love your nail posts? lol!). xo

    Shela-baby! You're killin' me. F21 has LA Girl? Now as far as I know, LA Girl and LA Looks (the polish in this review is LA Looks) are totally different. I can find a lot of LA Looks here in SD, but I NEVER see LA Girl here. So once again, thank you for your AWESOME tip! You rock!

    femputer, are you freaking SERIOUS? Wow! Word *does* travel fast!! I wonder if the folks at Nonpareil are like, "Why is everyone suddenly ordering this LA Looks shade?" lol!! I think I will contact them and explain my post and then ask if they have plans to restock! I'll keep you posted, and THANK YOU for the heads-up! You're the best! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Recessionista -- Yeah, please comment if you find out anything. It could be just me - I've been having troubles with that site. For some reason it'll only store 1 item in my shopping cart, and it likes to clear my shopping cart every 5 minutes or so. I emailed them, but no response so far. But every time I click on the Green Satin I get a pop up saying it's out of stock. I wonder if they're having technical issues because of the high volume of shoppers shopping the LA Colors! ^_^

    Anyway, I'm patient. I can wait. But I *WILL* have my hands on that nail polish! Oh yes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so on it! Don't you worry your pretty little head about this. lol! :) I got that same pop-up message when I tried to put it in my cart. So it's definitely not just you. I just emailed them and you know I will let you know what they said! All this talk is making me want a back-up bottle, darnit! And of course we need those Kleancolor palettes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha you make my day, Recessionista :) I'm glad these are good news for you too.

    I am 90% sure that the one I got was LA Girl but I'd have to scout it out for you. I seem to have misplaced my polish. But Forever 21 is (or at least was, on Saturday) carrying a few shades including a close-neon-but-not-quite pink, a cantaloupe orange, GORGEOUS gray, sparkly gold, and a clear top coat. There might have been more but I was in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK, that's it. I've got to get that gray polish at F21! Guess I have two missions now when I go to Parkway. :) xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig