Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 21, 2010

My Cherry Culture Haul (new L.A. Colors nail polishes--pic heavy!)

I mentioned last week that Cherry Culture is currently having a 25% off L.A. Colors sale (ends June 25th) and even though I need more products like a hole in the head, this sale proved too much for me to resist. After showing you a few of my favorite L.A. Colors products in this post, I actually neglected to mention how much I love their Mineral Eyeshadows and also, how very much I love their nail polishes. For just a couple bucks (or even $1 if you're lucky enough to find these polishes at your local dollar store) I have been consistently impressed with their selection of shades and their wonderful quality (just search "L.A. Colors" on this blog to see the colors I've swatched, and of course who can forget the wonderful Chanel Jade dupe!).

So when I saw that Cherry Culture has the complete collection of new L.A. Colors color craze 2010 shades, well, I HAD to get some (I also purchased some polishes from other brands, which I will show you later this week).

I got my order from Cherry Culture in about three days, which was FAST, and I've been playing around with these colors all weekend. So here's what I got from the L.A. Colors color craze 2010 collection, but if you're thinking about placing an order, don't forget to also check out their core collection (I love their Metallic Pink and Metallic Green shades!), the older color craze polishes and of course their Art Deco nail art colors. These polishes are already so inexpensive and now they're even less! All of the polishes below retail for $2.50 at Cherry Culture but are currently on sale for $2 each.

(NOTE: for all images below, you can click once to enlarge, and click again to magnify)

First up:
If blue and green sparkle is your thing, you're going to love this one! Isn't it gorgeous? And because the glitter is so fine, it's not gritty to the touch (yay!). Since this is a layering polish, it's sheer on the first coat but it does get considerably more opaque on the second coat. Also, I want to tell you that the texture is not too gloppy and it's pretty easy to work with.

In these pics, I used two coats over a white polish and also a black polish, just so you can see the sparkle in two different ways:

I really wish I had access to sunlight when I swatched Treasure Island (it was late at night when I took these) because in daylight, this shade is beyond stunning. I was staring at my nails for hours when I was wearing this one. I highly recommend it if you're a glitter gal.

Next up:
Continuing with the tropical theme, Jungle Fever immediately made me think of Beautopia's post of OPI Jade is the New Black. I have NO idea why, since this is definitely a deep, murky teal and not a green. But the images of Karrie's nails wearing JITNB instantly popped in my head when I swatched this. Maybe it's the fact that both shades can be described as "muted-yet-rich"? I'll stop boring you with my musings and get to the pics:

You know I had to try layering it over Treasure Island because, well, how could I not? It's stunning on its own and over TI, dontcha think?

And this brings us to the color I bought solely based on the crazy swatch on the Cherry Culture site (the minute I saw it, I thought: "How is this going to look in real life??"). There seemed to be a lot going on with this color based on the swatch alone, so here it is:

Hexagonal and round holo glitter swimming around in a very cramped pool of gold shimmer. There is a lot going on here, that's for sure.

I tried using Goddess two ways (in the above pics, I used two coats over a white polish and two coats over a black polish) because it just didn't look right on its own. But as you can see, it's hard to control the intensity of the gold shimmer and make it consistent on the nails when you've also got the holo glitter to contend with. I'm nowhere near an expert at applying glitter polishes and I'm SURE that most of you could do a far better job with this one, so I'm not going to say Goddess is a bust. It's just that, for me personally, there's too much going on here. This would probably look quite stunning layered over a gold metallic shade (sadly, I don't own one), but for me, the effect is pretty wild and I'd reserve it for toes only.

So I hope that these swatches of some of the new L.A. Colors color craze 2010 polishes have helped you to get a feel for what this collection has to offer. Do you like anything you see here? Do you already own anything from this new collection? Did you place a Cherry Culture order? I'd love to hear from you!

Oh, and if you're a nail blogger who has swatches of any other shades from the L.A. Colors 2010 color craze collection, please leave a link in the comments--I would LOVE to see more shades from this collection!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Omg those polishes are gorgeous!!! Lol about the hole in the head line! Loved the sugar in your diet line from twitter too! I actually started saying hole in the head after that dixie chicks song (I need a boy like you like a hole in the head) lol. After that reference and the one about Cowboy take me away I must seem like a big fan! I actually just play a lot of country songs at school; I used to hate country but now I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really gorgeous swatches! I love that teal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have the ones you mentioned but I have quite a few. I love the ones you showed.
    I've used two of them.
    Radiation and Shock:
    http://susies1955.blogspot.com/2010/06/la-colors-color-craze-radiation-and.html
    http://susies1955.blogspot.com/2010/06/la-colors-color-craze-shock-o-im.html
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a heads up, my Dollar Tree (in south west FL) has a TON of L.A. colors nail polishes. I'm sure they're not from this new collection, but there are some really pretty shades & they're only $1!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just did my first Cherry Culture order the other day - got a few bits from NYX. Not played with any of them yet, but they look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love treasure island! Must have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these are so pretty. I placed an order for L.A. Colors also, and didn't even glance at the polishes. I did post some pics of the shadows. You can see them here.

    www.ibleedbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny, I just bought Treasure island a few weeks ago. We have a store called Dollar Bills & they sell LA colors stuff. I wasn't sure what color to put it over. I think I will try the white. I haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig