Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, March 27, 2010

I think I found a super affordable dupe for WnW Acapulco Glow!

A little while ago I mentioned that I finally spotted the new L.A. Colors Mineral eyeshadow singles at my local Dollar Tree. When I purchased the shade Beige and used it for the first time, I instantly thought that it reminded me of a product I already owned. And as I continued to use it, I realized what product it reminded me of: the infamous, and now discontinued, Wet n Wild Acapulco Glow Bronzzer!

Check this out:

L.A. Colors Mineral Eyeshadow in Beige (retail: $1 at Dollar Tree)

Left: Wet n Wild Acapulco Glow, Right: L.A. Colors Beige


L: L.A. Colors Beige, R: WnW Acapulco Glow

L: WnW Acapulco Glow, R: L.A. Colors Beige

As you can see in these pics, Acapulco Glow has more of a pink undertone whereas Beige has more of a cream undertone. But honestly, when applied to my face, I could hardly tell the difference.


Obviously, since L.A. Colors Beige is an eyeshadow, you'll need to use a lighter touch when applying it like a bronzer/highlighter. But if you use a light hand and apply it sparingly and blend it well, I honestly think this is the best, super affordable dupe that I've found to date for Acapulco Glow. I've been wearing one shade on each of my cheekbones for the past few days, and I honestly cannot tell them apart. Plus, the L.A. Colors shade has great staying power and provides the same luminescent quality to my skin that I get from Acapulco Glow.

If you're got a Dollar Tree in your area, or another retail location that sells L.A. Colors Mineral shadows, I think you might want to give this one a shot and see for yourself how it compares to our beloved Acapulco Glow, since I know that supplies of Acapulco Glow are becoming more and more limited as we speak.

I hope this helps some of you who are very sad to see Acapulco Glow go bye-bye!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Thanks for all your posts. I am always in love with a great bargain and dupe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find!
    (Glad to see you're back. I've missed your posts)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday (3/26), I went to one of my local DTs(Northern CA) and found lots of new makeup products.

    If you're a nail polish fan, you may be interested in L.A. Colors' Color Craze Nail Polishes. There were lots of different colors.

    There were also some Sally Hansen lip products like the lipsticks, lip pots and natural butter lipshines. I picked up a Lipnotic Gem Gloss because I reminds me of a MAC Dazzlegloss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could find this at my Dollar Tree. ;_;

    Oh, have you ever tried the e.l.f. Healthy Glow Bronzing Powder in Luminance? I've never tried Acapulco Glow, and I was wondering if it was similar. I like the Luminance stuff. I don't use it all the time, but when I want my makeup to be a little more special I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done it again Recessionista! This is a fantastic dupe! You have saved us all! Now I just have to badger my boyfriend into driving me to a dollar tree for makeup. I feel a bribe coming on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about the mineral eyeshadows work when you use them as... y'know... eyeshadows.

    :)

    I've seen some interesting colors at the Dollar Tree close to where I live, but I'm always too interested in the Sally Hansen, Cover Girl, Almay... whatever else they've got. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Family Dollar stores sell a small stock of L.A. Colors products, so for those who don't have a Dollar Tree (or have a Dollar Tree whose makeup section is horrendous), you can try there. I think they may sell for $2.00, though at FDs.

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me so happy! I am going to go by my Dollar Tree and see if any are there - I love that Alcapulco Glow and have been looking for a dupe for years. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huzzah! You're back! :)
    I tried Acapulco Glow a few years ago, but it didn't work for me. I attribute that to the fact that I was still naive about makeup and didn't realize it was more of a highlighter than an actual bronzer...anyways, I can't wait to try out their new and improved line! I especially want Heather Silk blush since I have heard from a lot of sources that it is a dupe of NARS Orgasm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GiGi: You are so welcome, honey! I'm thrilled that you're enjoying them! :D

    JT: Thank you, sweetie! I'm glad to be back as well...did I miss anything I should know about? :D

    Jen: You scored!! I saw all of those SH lip products too (I posted pics of the ones I bought a little while ago) but I didn't see any of the LA Colors polishes at my location. :( Thanks for the heads-up about those--I will definitely have to hunt them down! :)

    Hana: All I can say is, try another location! I have the best luck at certain DT stores, but then other locations NEVER have anything good. And I haven't tried that elf product but it sounds like something I would definitely be interested in! Thanks for the heads-up, honey! :)

    PCS: LOL!!! I'm so glad this is something you might want to check out! Just tell your lovely BF that it's essential that you find this product because it costs half the price of the original. He'll admire your desire to save $$, right? ;)

    Erin: I've used both the Beige and Teal LA Colors Mineral eyeshadows as eyeshadows and I am QUITE impressed, so far. They both have fantastic texture, they're super smooth, not chalky at all, and the pigmentation of the teal shadow is AMAZING! Seriously, it is so bright and has such great staying power that I can't believe I got it for a dollar. Also, the staying power was fantastic. It's definitely worth a trip to DT and if you can't find it at your regular location, I think it's definitely worth a trip to others to find these. But one warning: I have heard that not all shades are as pigmented, so it's kind of hit or miss depending on what colors you get. But as for Beige and Teal, they're both winners! Hope that helps. :)

    Alexandra: Thank you SO much for that tip! I know that will be so helpful for those that don't have a DT in their area. You're the best! :D

    ShakeupYourMakeup: Yay!!!! I would absolutely love to see you do a review of this when you get it. I'm dying to know if you agree with my dupe comparison! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. beachbum13: lol! Thank you, sweetie! I honestly think this LA Colors shadow is the closest thing I've found so far to a dupe of AG. Hope you like it! And yes, I've heard that about the new Heather Silk as well. Unfortunately, I rec'd another shade of blush from WnW to review, which reminds me! I still have to review that one! Thanks for the reminder. lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I didnt know about Acapulco glow til I barely saw your post of the 2016 collection and very similar colors and packaging. This color is a jewel! I wonder why hey discontinued it. But then theres the similar reserve your cabana you mention in another entry. Either way thank you for the info. I moved to the USA on 2013 so anything released before that I have not a big knowlodge.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig