Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New Wet n Wild Starry Eye Slicks Collection (pics!)






So I told myself I was NOT going to buy these when I was at Rite-Aid a week ago because I need another eyeshadow palette like a hole in the head. Also, my philosophy on palettes is that you really only love one color in a palette and the rest are just kind of wasted, so I always opt to buy singles over palettes whenever possible. But something about these darn WnW quads just called to me (even though they're kind of pricey at $4.99). I think it's because I love their other eyeshadow palettes so much (particularly "Sand Castles") so I went ahead and purchased "Meteor Shower" (the one with the shimmery baby blue, olive-brown and dark rose) and "Supernova" (the one with the shimmery lime green, teal and dark brown).

Now what makes these quads "special" is that the fourth color is a silver, glittery eye gloss. You can just skip using this altogether though because on the two occasions I tried it to wear it, it creased like crazy and it made the powder shadows literally disappear within seconds. A total mess. They really should have skipped this and just put a super intensely glittery silver shadow in its place.

I played around with "Supernova" today and the pics above are the result. I don't often do my makeup like an 18 yr old (ie, 20 years younger than I am) but when I do, I really try to have fun with it. I haven't lined my water line in a looong time and it totally makes your entire face look different. Creepy!!

Anyway, back to the review. Let me first say that I was completely expecting the green and teal colors to be more shimmery, but they're actually quite powdery. They apply decently, but they're just chalky matte colors with some silver sparkle thrown in.

In the first pic I applied the teal on my upper lid and crease and then put the dark brown in my crease and blended like crazy. Then I did a light wash of teal over the entire lid and crease just to set it. I also used the teal on my lower eye and I used Prestige Total Intensity in "Daring Green" on my upper lid and my water line. Oh and my clumpy mascara is Max Factor 2000 Calorie Extreme (I much prefer my holy grail mascara, Max Factor Volume Couture, but I'm trying to use up the 2000 Cal Extreme). Lastly, I used Maybelline Expert Eyes Brow Pencil in "Blonde" on my brows and Wet n Wild Bronzzer in Acapulco Glow all over as a highlighter.

For the second pic, I did everything exactly the same except that, instead of the teal, I used the lime green.

All in all, it was fun to play around with wild colors but I don't really like how these wear (they fade more quicky than WnW's other eyeshadow palettes) and I don't see myself reaching for lime green and teal too often. I think I'll return them and pick up some more Prestige stuff...

Oh and before I forget, there's a new WnW mascara in this collection but since I haven't had good luck with any WnW mascaras in the past, I didn't even give it a second look. So if you've tried it, please leave me a comment and tell me what you think! :)

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Thanks for the review-I'm no longer disappointed that I haven't been able to find this collection. While I love WnW's trios and e/s palettes, I wouldn't get much use out of these colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Teresa, glad I could end your craving! :) Seriously, these are nothing to write home about and you're totally not missing out. The trios and palettes are SO much better than these little quads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this review. I feel the same about quads. I was thinking of trying these out - so you helped change my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caramel Diva! xo

    Hey Michelle! Finally! Someone who shares my view about quads! lol. :) If the shadows in these quads were shimmery I might like them more, but I just didn't like how they were chalky and matte with a few pieces of glitter here and there. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig