Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, October 19, 2013

Dollar Tree Haul (and new reader sightings)

A lot of us love looking at what other people buy when they go shopping. I can freely admit that. It's fun to look at what someone else has purchased, and I even do it when I'm standing in line at the grocery store. I have no shame about it either. I love finding new products on the conveyor belt and I'll just straight up ask the person about it. I'm not annoying about it, but if I see something new or something I've been curious about, I'll politely ask. For instance, I once asked a lady what she thought of a certain organic tomato paste that she was purchasing, and she told me it really tasted better in her sauces. The next time I was shopping, I remembered to try it and guess what? She was right!

Anyway, that was a heck of an intro just to tell you that I did some damage at Dollar Tree the other day, and I thought you might like to see what I picked up. If you're like me (and love to see what others buy when they go shopping), then keep on reading!

Dollar Tree haul!

Revlon Nail Art Stencils
(Retail: $5 each. Dollar Tree price: $1 each.)

When I saw these Revlon Nail Art Stencils, I could not for the life of me remember which collection they were from. But thanks to some lovely readers on Instagram, I can confirm that these mustaches and bows were from the Halloween 2012 Limited Edition Sweetly Sinister Collection (how sad is it that I actually covered this collection in depth and, exactly one year later, had no recollection of it?). My Dollar Tree also had the cherry blossom design that was from the Fall 2012 Gucci Westman Shanghai Collection.


Now, I've blogged about the abundance of Milani cosmetics that have been popping up at Dollar Trees across the nation over the last several months, and many of you have spotted even more Milani cosmetics over the past month or so (lip colors, eyeliners, etc.), which you've shared here as well.

But during my last Dollar Tree shopping trip, I spotted several polishes from older Limited Edition collections that I haven't spotted at other Dollar Trees over the past several months. I'm not sure if Dollar Tree received more inventory or what's going on, but the polishes I found the other day are GEMS and I can't wait to share them with you!

Limited Edition Milani nail colors from Dollar Tree for $1 each


Metal Gear was from the Milani Summer 2010 Limited Edition Liquid Metal Collection.  I never in a million years thought I would see the polishes in this collection again, and I'm thrilled to have this color in my possession! Metal Gear is a pumpkin-rust metallic. I have nothing else like it in my stash. Score!

Metal Gear


Totally Cool is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. This shade is from the Milani Limited Edition Summer 2010 Nail Flash Collection. If you don't remember the Nail Flash collection, I think it was WAY ahead of its time. These polishes are jellies that are packed with metallic flakes that create a duochrome effect on the nail.  Honestly, this is probably my favorite collection Milani ever did (and I love so many of their polish collections). I covet my bottle of Flash Light and rarely use it..I just love looking at it.

I never did get Totally Cool when it was available in stores, and I have regretted it ever since. To think that I found it (and there were TONS of bottles of it on the shelf) at Dollar Tree is unbelievable. Look at this baby:


Totally Cool (I'll say!)

You must take a look at Beautopia's swatches of Totally Cool here. The name of this one is quite fitting, don't you think? If you see this at your Dollar Tree, don't hesitate for a second to grab it.

Totally Cool

I also managed to get another shade from the Summer 2010 Nail Flash Collection:


Again, all of the shades in the Nail Flash collection are jellies, and Orange Burst is similar to Flash Light, only more of a true orange (Flash Light is more coral). Look at that gorgeous pink flash (and the gold flash too):

Orange Burst

 photo 20131035.jpg

Timeless was part of the Milani Summer 2009 Limited Edition Vintage Collection (this collection was re-released again in 2011). You can see swatches of the entire collection here. Timeless is a lovely concrete-gray with hidden silver shimmer.

 photo 20131032.jpg

Original was also part of the Vintage Collection (from 2009 and then re-released in 2011). It's a gorgeous, soft mint green with yellow undertones.

The rest of my haul:

28 sponges for $1

Makeup sponges for more (botched) attempts at gradient manicures. Hey, I never stop trying!

e.l.f. Essential Blending Eye Brush for $1

You know I love the e.l.f. Essential Eyeshadow Brush, but I don't think I've ever tried the Blending Eye Brush. Looks promising!


L.A. Colors Lip Gloss & Lipstick Duo in Charmed for $1

My Dollar Tree had these duos in three different shades--the berry you see here, and also an orange duo and a purple duo. I love the metallic look of this gloss, but I'm even more excited to see if that berry-colored lipstick is as pigmented (and matte-looking) as it appears in the tube.




Can you believe that everything mentioned above cost a grand total of $10?? That's literally the retail price of the two Revlon stencils alone!

Next up, some Dollar Tree READER SIGHTINGS: 

image credit: Tara for Nouveau Cheap
Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Colors at Dollar Tree
(Retail: $9.99 each. Dollar Tree price: $1 each)

Reader Tara spotted the Sally Hansen Magnetics at her Dollar Tree this week. She confirmed that all ten shades were available (she purchased the four shades you see above). I know for a fact that when these first came out, they were $9.99 at the drugstores (you can click here for my swatches/review). So even if you're "over" magnetics, what a deal for $1, right? You don't have to use the magnet...these polishes are quite pretty even without the magnetic effect.

And reader MJ (@mnjimenez74 on Twitter) spotted some Acne Free products at her Dollar Tree this week:

image credit: MJ for Nouveau Cheap
Acne Free Oatmeal & Jojoba Gentle Acne Scrub
(Retail : $7.99. Dollar Tree price: $1.)

This scrub retails for $7.99 at Ulta. MJ also said she spotted the Acne Free Terminator Spot Treatment (retail: $5.99) and Sulfur Mask (retail: $7.99) at her Dollar Tree too (for $1 each of course).




image credit: Jessy Mae for Nouveau Cheap
"Vintage" Fantasy Makers by Wet n Wild Halloween sets at Dollar Tree for $1 each

I've heard from several of you that older Fantasy Makers by Wet n Wild sets have been popping up at Dollar Tree stores recently, for $1 each (thanks to so many of you on Instagram for the heads-up about this!).

Reader Jessy May spotted the sets above at her Dollar Tree recently. The sets on the left and right are from the Fantasy Makers 2011 collection, but I believe that the set in the middle was actually from 2010.

 image credit: Kerri for Nouveau Cheap

Reader Kerri recently spotted the above display at her Dollar Tree, and I believe that all of these sets are from the Fantasy Makers 2011 Collection. Kerri was nice enough to share some additional photos:

  image credit: Kerri for Nouveau Cheap

  image credit: Kerri for Nouveau Cheap

 image credit: Kerri for Nouveau Cheap

Also, reader Victoria on Facebook just spotted full-size Freeman facial masks (squeeze tubes) at her Dollar Tree, as well as Dial for Men lotion!

Have you spotted anything noteworthy at YOUR local Dollar Trees recently? I would love it if you'd leave a comment below and share your sightings with us!

Thanks so very much, Tara, MJ, Jessy Mae, Kerri and Victoria, for the great sightings and pics. I really appreciate it!
SHARE:

34 comments

  1. I spotted Totally Cool and also picked it up, and I'm so happy I did! It reminds me of Zoya Valerie which has been discontinued :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm so glad you got one too!!

      Delete
    2. I have to disagree with you. While both Zoya Valerie and Milani Totally Cool are gorgeous colors, I don't think they're that close. Valerie is a deep wine shimmer while I think Totally Cool is a bit more blue based and less dark. Plus, the shimmer in TC is more reddish, while the shimmer in Valerie is more silver.

      Though Valerie does appear to be discontinued on Zoya's website, I'm sure there are still bottles of it rolling around at retailers like ULTA. Also, Zoya Jem is a near dupe of Valerie. You'll find plenty of comparisons if you image search the 2.

      Delete
  2. Omg i am so going to dollar tree tomorrow! And to think I spent $8 on Milani totally cool online :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't you hate that? But it's still totally worth $8 to me! :)

      Delete
  3. I would LOVE to get my hands on those Milani polishes, but my Dollar Tree is soooo lame! Regardless, I will be making the trek up there today because I never give up hope that I'll walk in there and they'll have everything you just talked about! *fingers crossed* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers for you too, Carol!!! :)

      Delete
    2. If it's not too out of the way, I think you definitely should make a trip to Dollar Tree! I've been finding tons of great things at the Dollar Trees in my area over the last month or 2. Most of the the stuff that Gianna has discussed is stuff I've spotted recently, but the selection varies greatly from store to store.

      Delete
  4. I just posted my dollar store haul & actually picked up some milani hd advanced lip colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good move!! I freaking love the HD lip colors (I reviewed them here, back in the day when they were new) and if my DT had them I would have wiped them out! Lol

      Delete
    2. I was actually looking them up to see when they came out, since I hadn't heard of them & saw your review. I totally love them!

      Delete
    3. Like Moe, I bought these HD lip colors because of your review. I saw a bunch at Dollar Tree and looked them up online since I had never heard of the product before. I'm so glad I did-I freaking love these lip products! I would gladly buy more colors than the 5 I already have.

      Delete
  5. G-which Dollar Tree do you go to? I was at the one at Grossmont Center 2 days ago and they didn't have a single name-brand makeup item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this haul, I went to a DT that I had never been to before and as you can see, it totally paid off!! It was the one on N Euclid in National City. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, that is awesome about Totally Cool! I have a bottle and thankfully I only paid two dollars more for it. I'll have to check out Dollar Tree for back up bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have it! But yeah...it's backup worthy! ;)

      Delete
    2. I agree. I've only wore it once for a little while, but the color is so darn gorgeous that I definitely would pick up a second one for another $1.

      Delete
  7. I tried that very same la colors duo last year but in the color nude. The lipstick color was gorgeous but it smelled like it had long gone rancid and after an hour of wear a yucky white film would appear on my lips between wear my liostick had been applied and my inner lip. I had to throw it out because no matter how many times I tried it, it would still happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought a lot of lip products from Dollar Tree and have never had a problem like this. That said, I've found nail polishes and blushes there that appear to be almost a decade old, so I could definitely believe that a lip product that old would have issues!

      Delete
  8. You should have gotten more bottles of Totally Cool. XD I'm wearing it right now over the purple from that recent Sinful Shine collection and it looks absolutely amazing. I'm going to have to check the Dollar Trees in my area, but unfortunately they rarely get anything really good. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the Revlon nail stencils! And the Acne Free scrub w/ salisylic acid and those Halloween eyelash sets! Nice haul! Dollar Tree is so fun! And like you I always buy my makeup sponges there and shower puffs. All of those things are more expensive at even Walmart. I bought the cutest glitter pumpkin at Dollar Tree that lights up and changes color for Halloween this year. I have a feeling when I go back there won't be anymore left, I wished I had bought at least 2 more. It's really cute. Love looking at great bargain hauls!! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I ran errands today I stopped at every dollar tree in Moreno Valley (we have 3) and had no luck with anything in this post. I did get a lot of ELF goodies though. They had lots of colors that I haven't been able to get at my local Target and didn't want to order online, so I stocked up. Most were just the normal line, but they had a few ELF Studio mascara's and the matte lip pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jackpot! I hit up the Dollar Tree by my job today and I scored the Milani in Totally Cool and Breezy ( a gorgeous blue) and 3 of the Milani 3d colors, the blue, lavender and green! :) I saw a whole endcap of E.L.F stuff and lots of Milani glosses and other Milani polishes (like Neon and some classic nude colors like Tricky Treat and Thai Tea. They always have good stuff at that particular Dollar Tree (it's in a more "upscale" area of town).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I coulda sworn, when I first saw the title it looked like it said "Dollar Tree Hugging"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving those Milani nail polishes hope I can find them in my area

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loveeee the charmed lipstick/ lipgloss soo much I went and got another one hehe. The lipstick is grrrreat but the lipgloss not so much but for a $1 well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought that e.l.f. blending brush at Target a couple of weeks ago. Now my new favorite eye brush -- you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I picked up the acne free mask, scrub and spot treatment, such a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have gotten a lot of Milani from several of my local DT. I just hope they get Totally Cool. Now that I've seen it I am positive that I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I rushed to my dollar tree today and found Totally Cool and I wanted to squeal with joy. I didn't have high hopes that I would find it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Went to my Dollar Tree yesterday (Northwest, Indiana) and they had a huge endcap of e.l.f. products including new liquid eyeliners, matte lip colors, lip glosses and more. I bought 3 of the matte lip colors and I am in love! Great colors, great coverage, and seem to be longwearing for a drug store product.

    ReplyDelete
  20. my dollar tree has the milani liquifeye eyeliners,lipliners,polish,so much elf,and i also picked up SeaBreeze toner,lotion and scrub,all my milani polishes were almost gone but they also had sinful colors nail polish,I am on the lookout for the acne free products cant never have enough face stuff

    ReplyDelete
  21. As you might have guessed from all my comments, this is a post that I'm very interested in. I have been a regular shopper at Dollar Tree for a good year, but I've never encountered as many interesting products there as what I've seen in the last 3 months. I define "regular shopping" as my visits to the store at least once a week. Maybe others would call it "crazy shopping," LOL. It doesn't help that the chain is plentiful in my area-there are 2 within a 5 miles from my house and another within 2 miles of my work!

    Some of the great stuff I've picked up recently at the Dollar Tree that you didn't mention in your post are E.L.F. angled eyeliner and smudge brushes, face powder, matte lip pencils, Exact Lash mascara (for the lower lashline), individual LA Colors polishes (like Cactus) and Milani eyeliners.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omygosh, I NEED Totally Cool and Original!!! Anyone know of any current dupes?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig