Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spotted: NEW Coppertone Tattoo Guard SPF50 Lotion and Stick

I spotted something at Rite Aid the other day that I don't think I've ever seen at the drugstore before--sunscreens specifically for tattoos. I know that Walgreens sells Tattoo Goo on their website, but I haven't seen a tattoo suncreen in-store at any of the usual drugstores before. Have you? Anyway, check it out:

Coppertone Tattoo Guard UVA/UVB Sunscreen SPF50 Lotion and Stick
(retail: $9.99 for the lotion, $5.99 for the stick at Rite Aid)

More info after the jump...


These products are now on the drustore.com website. From drugstore.com:
New 
UVA/UVB Sunscreen Helps Protect Against UV Rays That Can Fade or Blur Tattoos 
Won't Irritate Sensitive Skin
Moisturizing Formula 
Great For Larger Tattooed Areas 
Lotion Ingredients: 
Octinoxate 7.5% (Sunscreen), Octisalate 5% (Sunscreen), Zinc Oxide 14.5% (Sunscreen) 
Stick Ingredients: 
Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 10%, Oxybenzone 6% 
Inactive Ingredients: Beeswax, Lauryl Laurate, Ozokerite, Cetearyl Behenate, Polybutene, Cetyl Alcohol, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Myristyl Myristate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Phenoxyethanol, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Tetrahexadecyl Ascorbate

I'm not sure how these differ from regular sunscreens, but the Sailor Jerry style roses on the packaging are cute. Anyway, I don't have any tattoos, but I of course have family and friends who do (who doesn't at this point??) and the one thing I always hear from them is that you shouldn't expose a brand new tattoo to sunlight and you shouldn't use sunscreen on a brand new tattoo that's healing (apparently the ingredients can actually cause fading on a tattoo that hasn't healed yet--or so I've heard!). But after a tattoo has healed, it makes sense that you should always use sunscreen (if your tattoo sees the sun) to prevent fading.

But again, I don't have any tattoos and that's just what I've heard from friends and family. I'd love to hear how those of you who have tattoos take care of them, and what types of sunscreens you use. Do you think you'll give Coppertone Tattoo Guard a shot?
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. regular sunscreen works just fine on tats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this is just a sales gimmick. Just use regular sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always used regular sunscreen but got this cause I'm a sucker for packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanning or getting sun burnt in generally is bad for the longevity of a tattoo, no matter if its healed or not. Good tattoo's are an investment that need to be taken care of and maintained for life. Never go out without putting sunblock on your tattoos unless you are covering them with clothing. :) I have had a decent amount of tattoo work done over the past 10 years and mine are still bright and vibrant as the day I got them done.

    Having said that, this product is just a gimmick trying to make a buck on the tattoo trend. Use whatever sunblock you like, but I'd make sure it's at least 30spf, the higher the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this at HEB some time ago. On one hand it's flattering to be marketed to instead of ostracized for having tattoos. On the other hand, I am so over being pointlessly marketed to!

    Get thee some baby sunscreen. All you need for tats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with someone else on here..baby sunscreen is what I use. I have many hours of work on my body, and as long as you use some common sense, its fairly easy to take care of tattoos. I am a sucker for the cute packaging though :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with someone else on here..baby sunscreen is what I use. I have many hours of work on my body, and as long as you use some common sense, its fairly easy to take care of tattoos. I am a sucker for the cute packaging though :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this today! I liked the roses. Would be fun if they decked the little girl in tattoos.XD Might not be such a good idea but still... Sun is so evil for tattoos; true, you shouldn't expose them to sunlight while they heal and need to take care of it, it IS puncture wound after all. I don't think a "tattoo sunscreen" is necessary though! I'm sure your regular sunscreen will work just fine on a healed tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing magic about a sunscreen that is specifically marketed to tattoos, and while the packaging *is* rather cute, any sunscreen will do so long as it's compatible with your skin. The fact that it's a nice high SPF is good, though.

    The vitamin E, A, and cocoa seed butter will all work as good moisturizers without gunking up most skin types, so that *is* a nice addition to the formula.

    The biggest issue for most people (tattooed or not) is finding a sunscreen that works, doesn't stink so much they won't use it, and doesn't irritate their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with others who have said it's a gimmick. I use my regular sunscreen on the tattoos on my wrist and shoulder and it works just fine. No fading. (Though I do like the stick format and packaging! Just not enough to buy it specially.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got the one in the tube a few months ago, since I have larger tattoos, and I love it! It feels REALLY heavy duty, and even gives my tattoo sort of a gray-cast even after it rubs in. That can be kind of annoying because then your tattoo isn't as vibrant, but I really feel like it's being protected when I use this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW this gimic shows how mainstream tattoos have become

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they've become mainstream, though! I have several tattoos, most of which aren't visible, but the visible ones don't raise an eyebrow most of the time. :)

      Delete
  13. The packaging is cute, but otherwise I'd say it's a gimmick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am interested in the what the scent is like. Most sunscreen smell gross to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chapstick with SPF is great if you only want coverage on the tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stick is kind of a cool idea as you could apply to just the tattoo and not other areas with more precision (to avoid weird white splotches if youre trying to tan) But probably works better for someone with just a few tattoos. As someone who is very heavily modified, I generally just use 100spf all over. The spray on kind works best for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig