Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Suave Professionals Black Raspberry + White Tea haircare collection


This year Suave has released some great new--and ridiculously affordable--haircare products (click here to see my review of the Touchable Finish Hairspray, here for my Captivating Curls Whipped Cream Mousse review and here for my Dry Shampoo review). 

One of the collections I've been the most excited to try is the new Black Raspberry + White Tea collection because the fragrance sounds amazing AND I love the other formulas in this line. Recently I was sent all three products in the Black Raspberry + White Tea collection and I'd love to share my thoughts with you.


From Suave:

NEW! Suave Professionals® Black Raspberry + White Tea Shampoo
Gently cleanses and replenishes moisture to lock in color and shine.
  • Salon-quality shampoo and conditioner system is salon proven to protect hair as well as Aveda® Color Conserve shampoo and conditioner6
  • Formulated with 100% natural black raspberry and white tea, ingredients known for their nourishing antioxidant properties
  • Packaged with 25% post-consumer recycled materials
$1.92 – $2.49 (14.5 oz.)

NEW! Suave Professionals® Black Raspberry + White Tea Conditioner
Nourishes hair and replenishes moisture to lock in shine.
  • Salon-quality shampoo and conditioner system is salon proven to protect hair as well as Aveda® Color Conserve shampoo and conditioner6
  • Formulated with 100% natural black raspberry and white tea, ingredients known for their nourishing antioxidant properties
  • Packaged with 25% post-consumer recycled materials
$1.92 – $2.49 (14.5 oz.)

NEW! Suave Professionals® Black Raspberry + White Tea Leave In Conditioner
Replenishes moisture and locks in color and shine.
  • Salon proven to protect hair as well as Aveda® Sun Care Protective Hair Veil6
  • Formulated with a UV complex
$1.92 – $2.49 (6.7 oz.)

6Aveda is a registered trademark of Estee Lauder Companies, Inc.


If I could sum up this collection in one word, it would be: EASY. I've been using these products for a few weeks now and every time I'm the shower, I'm delighted by just how easy it is to use both the shampoo and conditioner.


When I say "easy" I mean that these products are so easy to work through my hair and also rinse out of my hair. I have long, wavy hair that's oily at the roots and dry at the ends. It's also color-treated and prone to tangling since the texture of my hair is fine, but I love lots of hair. Literally, a light gust of wind can make my hair tangle.

The Black Raspberry + White Tea shampoo is SO rich and velvety--the lather is dense and so luxurious that I have a hard time believing it's a $2 shampoo. But going back to the "easy" part: it's just effortless to work this shampoo through my hair--it's like it washes my hair for me.

Moving on to the conditioner, again, it's incredibly easy for me to work this product through my hair, and it's got a nice amount of slip, which means it's great for detangling. I tend to leave my conditioner in my hair for a long time when I'm in the shower (five minutes or more) and when I rinse my hair, it feels incredibly soft, but not too heavy or coated (although there is a light coating left behind).


The leave-in conditioner is an added step that you may or may not need. For me, I find that if my hair is feeling particular rough or dry prior to shampooing, using the leave-in as a final step really gives an added softness to my hair but yet it doesn't make it feel greasy or weighed down. It just feels incredibly soft when I use this product, although I do want to note that it doesn't do a lot to help with tangles for me. 

As for how this collection reacts with the natural wave in my hair, I'd say it doesn't flatten my waves, yet it doesn't quite enhance them either. For me, my curls are no better or worse when I use these products. The thing that really improves is the general softness of my hair. 

It's hard for me to gauge whether or not this collection is actually preserving the color in my hair because I have only been using these products for a couple of weeks. However, I do want to note that for you oily-haired folks out there, I find that these product don't make my hair extra-oily and I can go my usual 24 hours before I start to see my pesky oily-bangs-syndrome start to emerge.

How can I forget to talk about the fragrance? All three of these products smell absolutely delicious. To my nose, I get a tangy black raspberry note coupled with a soft, herbal white tea note. Together it's a lovely combo and one I look forward to smelling in the shower in the morning.

Here's a closer look:


As you can see, the conditioner is not watery or thin--it's quite rich and thick. Here's a closer look at the shimmer in the shampoo:


FINAL VERDICT: The new Suave Black Raspberry + White Tea collection is a winner for me, and a welcomed addition to my haircare stash. When my hair is feeling extra dry or tough, I will reach for these products because they're just so easy and effortless to use. Both the shampoo and conditioner feel so luxurious in my hair (rich, thick and velvety) that I have a difficult time believing I'm using products that retail for just $2 each. The leave-in conditioner is a nice added step if you need some heavy-duty softening without a heavy or weighed-down feeling. These products don't weigh down my curls (although they didn't enhance them either), and none of the products added to the oiliness of my already-oily roots. I think that if you have thick, dry, wavy hair that you usually straighten, these products might work exceptionally well for you, but even if you don't have that hair type, I'd give this collection a try.

Have you tried any of the products from the Suave Black Raspberry + White Tea collection? How do you like them?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I haven't, but that's because I haven't noticed them before. I'm not sure if my area hasn't seen them yet (if they're new), or I'm just my usual blind self and have overlooked them. I've been branching out in hair care lately, so I haven't looked at Suave much - that could be it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i've said before, I have the shampoo and use in conjunction with the almond and shea butter conditioner (just because my hair got SO dry when i started colouring it that i felt i needed a stronger moisturizing conditioner). i LOVE the scent of this and like you said it doesn't affect my hair one way or another except to soften it (and it does clean effectively without stripping). i've also used the shampoo as a bodywash on trips and it's not half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the conditioner as a leave in conditioner for my hair & it works great! I have dry, coarse, frizzy, curly hair, & this stuff really helps to detangle my hair & leave it super soft & yet it don't weigh my hair down.

    But I find it's a little too light to really moisturize my hair in the shower. All in all though it smells & works great for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig