Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Review: New Suave Professionals Shampoos & Conditioners

I am consistently impressed with the quality of Suave products (do a search on this blog for "Suave" for my past reviews and favorites) to the point where I have to ask, "How can these prices be so low?"

For about $1.99 a bottle, I am delighted to tell you that the new Suave Professionals shampoos and conditioners perform, for my hair hair, at a level that can easily be compared to popular, and pricey, salon brands. I was lucky enough to receive the full collection of new Suave Professionals shampoos and conditioners for review, and I've been testing all of them for quite some time now, so let's get right to it!

First up:

Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner for Dry, Damaged Hair (retail: $1.99 each, 14.5 oz)

Let me tell you right off the bat that these Almond & Shea Butter products smell delicious. To me, they smell like almond candy and I just can't get enough. But beyond that, I am incredibly impressed with both the shampoo and conditioner. For those who are not long-time readers of my blog, I have long hair, dry, damaged ends, and oily roots. My hair is color-treated hair, and the texture is fine but I have lots of it, and my hair is naturally wavy. The challenge for me is to find a shampoo and conditioner that will make my hair soft, yet not weigh it down and contribute to my oily roots. Also, I need help with taming frizzies and flyaways due to my naturally wavy hair that I often just let air-dry for a natural look. This shampoo and conditioner did wonders for keeping my hair soft and manageable, and it left my hair with lots of shine and bounce. The conditioner helped detangle my tangle-prone hair easily, yet it didn't weigh it down (which, as you all know, moisturizing conditioners are prone to do sometimes). I'm really impressed with both formulas and if you hair is anything like mine, I say definitely give 'em a shot!

Suave Professionals Invigorating Clean Rosemary Mint Shampoo and Conditioner for All Hair Types (retail: $1.99 each, 14.5 oz)

Oh my goodness! The fragrance of these products is insane! Sometimes the word "rosemary" scares me because rosemary can be a very dominant and overwhelming fragrance. But when combined with mint, this is one clean, herbal, rejuvenating combination. I LOVE it, and the boyfriend loves it too. As for the performance, after using both the shampoo and conditioner for several weeks now, I can tell you that we've got a winner on our hands! The shampoo really gets in and cleans my oily roots, but my hair doesn't feel stripped after I use it. Just clean, soft and shiny. The conditioner does a wonderful job at taming my mane, and my hair just feels healthy and bouncy when I use these products. My boyfriend loves the shampoo for his oily hair as well because it seems to give him a bit of body, but not so much that it makes his hair "poufy" (his word). I would say that Rosemary Mint Shampoo and Conditioner might be a great combo for all members of your family, regardless of hair type. Even if the shampoo didn't work for me, I would use it as hand soap because I love the smell so much.

Suave Professionals Volumizing Aloe Vera & Ginseng
Shampoo and Conditioner (retail: $1.99 each, 14.5 oz)

Ah yes, the hidden gems in this collection! Since I've got fine hair, believe me when I say that I have used my fair share of volumizing products over the years. And one thing I know is that a lot of volumizing shampoos can be drying (How do you get volume? Take out the moisturizing ingredients, right?). As for volumizing conditioners? Well, after too many bad experiences, I tend to run the other way when I see one. Since the goal of a volumizing conditioner is to add volume, these types of conditioners tend to be very watery, and don't do a whole heck of a lot of moisturizing. So in other words, it's very difficult to find a volumizing conditioner that actually conditions the hair, yet still adds volume. I am thrilled to tell you that the Aloe Vera & Ginseng Shampoo and Conditioner left my hair soft and moisturized AND added a bit of volume too! It's a miracle! Yes, the conditioner is thinner than the other two conditioners in this range, but do NOT let that fool you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it detangles, and how easily I can work it through my hair. If you've got thin hair that's dry and needs a bit of volume, I would give these products a shot. You might be very pleasantly surprised!

I hope this review has helped you determine whether or not any of these new Suave Professionals products might be a good fit for you. As always, if you have any questions of comments, I'd love to hear from you! Have you tried any of these new products yet? How are they working for you?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.

SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Thankdsfor the review! I can't wait to try these. Question, my hair is pouf-y towards the end and fine at the top. Do you think the volumizing shampoo could even that out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using the almond and shea conditioner. I love it. But also, the Target site offers coupons you can print. If you buy two you get a dollar off.
    Too bad they didn't have the ginseng one at the store. I would have loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So which of these was your favorite?

    And I hate to ask, but what's your favorite shampoo and conditioner? Or at least a few of your favorites? I know it's always hard to choose, but I'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PCS: You are so welcome! You know, you ask a good question. My ends tend to be fuller than my roots too, and when I use these products I do see a bit more volume near the root area, so it just might work for you! Definitely worth a shot. :)

    Coral: Ooooh, thanks for the tip! I think I saw that on Target's coupon page but forgot all about it! That's an awesome deal, so thanks for the reminder! Keep looking for the Aloe & Ginseng one--I bet it will show up eventually, and it's definitely worth the wait. :)

    Hana: I was just telling my contact at Suave that I really can't decide on a favorite. They all work so well with my hair, and satisfy so many different needs! I think it just depends on what look I'm going for. If my hair's feeling a bit dry, I reach for the Almond. If my hair's feeling a bit flat, I reach for the Aloe. If I'm looking for more shine and bounce, I reach for the Rosemary. :) As for a "favorite" shampoo and conditioner? I actually don't have ONE. I can't use the same shampoo and conditioner for any one length of time because they seem to stop working if I use the same exact thing over and over. So I find, for my hair, I need to switch it up and I've got a whole bunch of favorites. Just do a search on this blog to see what I've reviewed--I really LOVE everything I've mentioned here and given a good review. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. Thanks for at least trying to answer my question! I know just how you feel. My hair doesn't like it when I use the same stuff all the time either, so I change nearly every time I shower. I'll have to have a look at your hair product reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hana: No problem, honey. Sorry I couldn't be more specific! But I will tell you that I have yet to find a better clarifying shampoo than Suave Daily Clarifying! Do you use a clarifying shampoo once a week? I find that this helps my other shampoos and conditioners to work a lot better. I also use the Suave Daily Clarifying on my brushes sometimes--especially foundation and concealer brushes. It really cuts through the oils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the Rosemary & Mint shampoo and conditioner as soon as I was able to find it. The shine and body that they produce is unreal!! I can't wait to try the others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mooosley: Yay! I am so glad the Rosemary & Mint products are working so well for you! I am truly amazed at their quality, given the price. It's crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like them! I've been using the Almond and Shea Butter for a few months and I really like it! I have fine/normal/virgin hair and it works great for me too. I have the Rosemary Mint as well, but haven't opened it yet because I already have a tonnnn of open products in my shower! They only had the bigger bottles when I bought it, so it's taking me awhile to use it up since I alternate S&C on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the Herbal Essences Drama Clean one when my hair starts feeling yucky, which is about once a month (though I probably should up it to once a week anyway). I've heard such great things about the Suave one though, that I think I'll have to grab it next time I run out of the Herbal Essences one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of the almond and shea butter one! I really want to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JenJen: Oh I'm so happy you are still loving the Almond & Shea Butter! And it's great to know that it works so well on healthy hair too! :) Please let me know what you think of the Rosemary Mint when you get around to try it (I think you'll love it!). :)

    Hana: When you run out of your HE, I would love to know what you think of the Suave if you try it! Seriously, you can't be the price. lol! :)

    beachbumbeauty13: It really is awesome! If you get it, remember you can print out the $1 off coupon at Target.com and pick it up at Target for even more savings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. dangit, my comment got eaten twice. :(

    i am using and loving the Rosemary Mint. my hair's a bit dry though so i'll be switching to the Almond Shea soon, i think. i love how the rosemary one makes my tiny, dingey shower smell like a spa experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifulmonday: OMG, you nailed it! The Rosemary Mint DOES make my bathroom smell like a spa experience! That is too perfect. I would love to know what you think of the Almond Shea Butter when you try it. I used it this morning and I keep touching my hair...soft soft soft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the first one looks amazing. I'll have to try these out. So excited to find more drugstore brands that are 'high salon quality' definitely a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quick question, does the mint one leave a tingle in your hair either while washing or after you dry? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lily- the mint on does tingle my scalp but just a little bit, while i am massaging it in. not like a medicated shampoo would. do you have a sensitive scalp?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephine: Yay! So glad you're excited about these. I'd love to know what you think when you try 'em. :)

    Lily: After thinking about it, kind of! It's a very subtle tingle, but it does tingle, and I love that! :)

    beautifulmonday: I agree, it's only when I'm washing, and even then it's subtle. I don't feel any tingle at all when my hair is dry (or even when it's wet and I'm done with my shower). :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to pick up the Rosemary and Mint shampoo/conditioner when I run out of my current stuff (aka: at least 3 months from now!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig