Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 14, 2011

A tale of three towelettes...

A Tale of Three Towelettes
(Or: G. just can't leave well enough alone)

I'm going to tell you a little story, my lovelies, but first I must pose this question:

WHY is it that when I find something that works, and I love it, I just can't leave well enough alone? Why do my eyes wander in search of "something better" when I'm perfectly content with the product right in front of me? If you're like this too, then perhaps you'll be able to relate to this story.

My favorite makeup-removing towelettes of all time are Epielle Cleansing Tissues, which you can find at Big Lots or random dollar stores for around $1 (for 30 towelettes). I love these things, but they've been increasingly difficult to find in my area. Since I know they retail for around $1, I refuse to order them online and pay for shipping.

My second favorite makeup-removing towelettes aren't really towelettes at all: Rite Aid Tugaboo Baby Wipes (around $3 for 64 wipes).These wipes rock, they're super cheap, and if they don't remove all of my eye makeup, I can just dab a little bit of makeup remover directly on the towelette to finish off the job. (In case you're wondering, my makeup remover of choice is the CVS version of Neutrogena Oil-Free. It's the ONLY makeup remover at the drugstore that comes with a safety seal--believe me, I know. I've checked. I don't understand why something that you're going to put almost directly in your eyes usually comes without a safety seal. Cosmetics companies, can you please explain this to me? I've seen nail polish with safety seals lately, for crying out loud. But NOT eye makeup remover??).

OK, sorry for the tangent. Back to the story. Now, you'd think that I'd be perfectly happy with my Epielle and Rite Aid towelettes, right? Both remove my makeup just fine, they're super inexpensive, and they don't dry out my skin or leave a weird film on my face after I've used them.

But no. I must keep searching for something better. So now I'd like to show you the three towelettes I've been using lately, and let's just see how it all turned out, shall we?

Let's begin with Commodynes:

Commodynes Makeup Remover with Oats for Sensitive & Dry Skin
(retail: around $5 for 20 towelettes)

I've been hearing people rave about Commodynes for years, and a few months ago when I was Trader Joe's, I finally broke down and bought a pack after one of the employees walked by as I was looking at them and said, "Those ROCK." Commodynes are made in Spain (Barcelona, to be exact) and the towelettes are super soft, and LARGE. We're talking 8 inches by 8 inches. I immediately fell in love with the size, because the bigger the surface area of a towelette, the smaller the chances you'll need two towelettes to finish the job.

But, alas, my love affair with Commodynes was short-lived. I noticed that there are five forms of parabens in this product. Admittedly, I'm no expert on parabens, and I own my fair share of products that do contain one or even two parabens, but five seems a little much. Also, although they do a fantastic job of removing my makeup, I don't particularly care for the sticky feeling of my skin after I use them. Yes, they're moisturizing, but I don't like sticky. Strike One.

Next up, Pond's:

Pond's Evening Soothe Wet Cleansing Towelettes
(retail: around $7.99 for 30 towelettes)

This is a newer product from Pond's, so I was able to pay very little for them since they were on sale at an "introductory price" and I also had a coupon.

When Pond's says "New seal helps towelettes stay wet" they MEAN IT! These are THE wettest towelettes I have ever used, and not in a good way. Allow me to illustrate:


When you apply one of these towelettes to your face, it sloshes around and leaves actual foam on your face that takes FOREVER to dry. The wetness of these things makes them incredibly difficult to work with, to the point where I actually left the seal open overnight, hoping they would dry out a bit.

Also, if you're not a fragrance person, steer clear from these. The fragrance of chamomile and white tea is so strong that it almost burns my eyes. I can literally smell it on my face the next morning.

BUT, I will say that after you've gone through about half a pack and they dry out a bit, they do a fantastic job of removing makeup. They're small (6 x 7.3 inches), but they have a texture to them that helps give them good traction when removing makeup.

I just can't get over how ridiculously wet and foamy they are at first, and the fragrance is just too strong for my taste (and I AM a fragrance person, so that's really saying something). Strike Two.

And finally, we have Almay:

Almay Oil-Free Makeup Remover Towelettes
(retail: around $7 for 25 towelettes)

Lots of people rave about these Almay towelettes, so after the experiences above, I was more than willing to try them (plus I had coupons and got them on sale so I think I ended up paying a total of $2 for them).

The least scented towelettes of the bunch, these are also in the middle of the two previous towelettes when it comes to size (not huge, but not ridiculously tiny). There is no texture to the cloth, but it's super soft and quite durable. The fragrance is quite mild and pleasant (think fresh and clean) and I think these do a great job at removing my makeup (including eye makeup).

BUT, they sting my eyes. It's not the fragrance that stings, it's just that a certain ingredient doesn't work with my body chemistry and when these come in contact with my eyes, they sting like a mother for about ten minutes straight. Strike Three.

Here's a picture of all three towelettes for size comparison:


So the moral of this story, my lovelies, is this:

If you love something and it works well for you, don't go looking for that mythical "something better." Chances are, you've already found the best thing for your needs, so just leave well enough alone.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. I've tried so many different wipes, too. But I always come back to Huggies. They are the best in my opinion. And they're cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the exact same thing, except with face wash!! I love my Ponds Cold Cream, but for some reason when I see a sale I always try it.. Never ever does it work out..

    As for wipes, I love the target brand baby wipes!! You can get a 3 pack (80 wipes per container) for like 5 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently tried the Epielle wipes when I found them at Big Lots, then read your blog post about them and realized how much you liked them and how difficult they were to find. Well, I don't know if this helps but I happened to walk into Grocery Outlet recently and they had them there too! Ours had the green tea and cucumber scents only, and they were .99 cents each. I don't know if you have Grocery Outlets in Socal, but I thought I'd give you a heads up just in case. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Target brand Make up towelettes (compare to Ponds Clean Sweep)30 large towelettes for about $4.

    I don't need a lot, because I don't wear a lot of makeup (& I've given up on mascara, because it hurts me eyes). The towelettes could be a bit more damp, but they work for me.

    Plus--& don't laugh-- I cut them in half. I don't need a huge towelette & I've noticed my waste basket, like a landfill is filling rapidly with them. Sigh. We can't win.

    Find me a biodegradable, non-scented towelette & I'm there.

    dahlila xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the exact same thing! And then I moan about it my boyfriend and when he says "why did you not stick with the product that works for you?" he gets the "be quiet" face.

    I have done this so many times but I think I've finally learnt, the products that work for me are now staples and I don't change them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just recently found the Epielle ones at Big Lots but completely forgot about your review or I would have stocked up and got more. I got the cucumber ones, and I was thinking they don't quite smell like cucumber, but something similar. Then it came to me, they smell like watermelon rind! lol It's a good scent too, at least to me. I think they're great, it feels like you are simply washing your face in water, but it picks up everything. Leaves no residue or sticky feeling at all.

    I've also used baby wipes. I use the Huggies for sensitive and unfragranced ones. They do the job and there is always coupons and sales so you can get them cheap.

    The other ones I tried are the Josie Maran Bear Naked ones. ("Bear" is not a misspelling, it has to do with Polar Bears and a fund to protect them.) I won a travel size pack in a giveaway and I was so mad I didn't get the full size when they were gone. I really liked them a lot, because they not only cleaned but moisturized too. They leave your skin feeling soft and smooth. They are kind of expensive at $12 for 30 though, so I'll stick to Epielle or Huggies if I can't get to a Big Lots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good wipes at Big Lots and dollar stores?! That makes me excited. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of using the Tugaboos for makeup removal! I bought them for, ah, freshness. I shall try them. Normally I like just a scrubby ol washcloth and some cream makeup remover but I find that sometimes I'm super lazy and its better to have something to scrub my makeup off with while I'm hunched on the can so I don't end up with black eyeliner on my pillowcases. Not to be gross. But sometimes I'm just that tired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha G, that is a life lesson that we all should live by - not just with make up. But I feel like as a make up blogger, it's always hard to just stick to one thing. I have friends who just buy the same lipstick over and over again and here I am, hoarding a box full of different ones. It's because I'm curious and I want to try new things... so I can blog about it later! I've recently ran out of my cleanser and need to go get a new one soon... I'm probably gonna go get a new one that I haven't tried yet... just for funsies! Thanks for the review btw. Towelettes are not my thing b/c most leave a weird film on my face. I do like the Olay ones just because it gets all soapy and you can wash your face with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i found my epiell aka 1 dollar wipes at my local mall in $1 jewery store !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried the Almay oil-free eye makeup remover; and it stung my eyes, too, AND irritated my skin. And I don't even have sensitive skin! Was not impressed. I guess their whole line of removers is sub par.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that looking for something better can be futile. I really like the fresh & easy sensitive skin baby wipes. I love that Neutrogena knock-off makeup remover even more! No irritating fragrance or colorants and it works AMAZING! It's also great for re-wetting dried up gel liners and paint pots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the Comodynes for sensitive/dry skin, but I'm too cheap to pay almost $5 for almost 20 wipes - plus I hate the smell. :) My HG wipe is Garnier Nutritioniste - I can usually find a coupon, there's more in the package, they smell good, don't dry out my skin, and they work well enough to remove eye makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use Pond's for now and its work fine for me, but i dont like it for the eye area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am the exact same way about products! I've tried Neutrogena wipes and Huggies Natural Care (which I love because it's supposed to be, well... natural!). Right now, I'm using Yes to Cucumbers towelettes and they are so refreshing. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/hHeXWV

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have fallen for ELF's towelettes. They are $3 for 20 (I think, I might be wrong about the quantity). They smell really great (very light) and they work well.
    G-You mentioned eye makeup removers without a safety seal. I have been using Rimmel eye makeup remover for years, mostly because it comes sealed on a cardboard/plastic bubble type packaging. It's fairly cheap and works wonders!! It is also more on the watery side, which is great for me because I hate oily EMRs. Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found those Epielle green tea wipes at Big Lots a few weeks back, and based on your recommendation of them, I stocked up on about 6 packages. The store near my work has tons of the green tea wipes, the regular ones, and the makeup removers. They smell and feel fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! I love comparison posts. :D
    I always stray from my HGs, then I have regret... lol. Actually, one of the few products I don't do this with is cleansing cloths. I had a bad experience with Biore's and have just steered clear of them in general. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for Epielle, for sure. Thanks, G!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite towelettes are the equate brand ones from Walmart. I find that the non exfoliating ones do a better job. They are also really inexpensive. It's $6 for a two pack which is 120 cloths. I think they are definitely worth a try at that price. Oh, here is the link.

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11047656&adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig