Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review: New Yardley of London Pomegranate Rose and Cocoa Butter Bath Bars

One of my very favorite inexpensive pleasures in life is a nice bar of bath soap. There's no doubt that you've probably seen Yardley of London soaps at your local drugstores, grocery stores and dollar stores, but when was the last time you used one? Did you know that Yardley of London soaps are made in the USA, cruelty-free and paraben and SLS-free? For just a dollar or so each, I've been loving Yardley soaps for a very long time (see my review of their Honeysuckle Citrus, which is a favorite of mine) and I'm so excited to share with you today their brand new scents (and a packaging makeover)!

I received Yardley's new scents recently and now that I've had a chance to test them out, I'd love to share my thoughts:

Yardley of London Pomegranate Rose and Cocoa Butter Bath Bars
(retail: around $1.49 each, 4.25 oz)


Let's start with Pomegranate Rose. My goodness, this smells like sweet, tart pomegranate candy to me! I get much more pomegranate than rose in this one, but the rose adds just a touch of softness to this soap, making it a little less tart than if it were just straight pomegranate. This fragrance has a sweet, candy-like quality to it and I'm officially declaring that it's my new favorite Yardley soap to date. I cannot get enough of it. If you like sweet, tart, candy-like fragrances, you must check this one out!

Left: Pomegranate Rose
Right: Cocoa Butter

Cocoa Butter is a warm, soft, comforting fragrance to me, and you can definitely smell the cocoa butter in this soap, although it does not veer into the chocolate zone that you often get from cocoa butter fragrances. To me, it smells more like a combination of both cocoa butter and shea, so it's got a warmth to it that is just so inviting. There is a sweetness to this one, but it's not so sweet that it wouldn't work in a unisex capacity. In fact, I think men and children would enjoy this soap as well. It's rich and creamy but not full-on gourmand.

As for the performance of these soaps, I find them right on par with the rest of Yardley soaps I've used over the years. They lather beautifully and leave my skin feeling nice and clean, but not stripped or dry. I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about either soap, but my favorite is definitely Pomegranate Rose, because I'm just a sucker for candy-type fragrances.

And in case you'd like to see how the packaging makeover has changed one of the classic Yardley soaps, English Lavender, here's a picture for you:


I love how the packaging hasn't changed dramatically, but it's definitely a bit more modern and clean-looking.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for an inexpensive treat for bath time, I would highly suggest either of these new scents from Yardley. They both smell absolutely delicious, and I find them both to work quite well for my skin. Neither leaves me feeling dry or tight, yet they manage to fully cleanse my skin and don't leave any type of odd residue behind. Cocoa Butter seems a tiny bit more moisturizing on my skin (due to the cocoa butter and shea butter) but Pomegranate Rose contains oatmeal, which seems to help when my skin is feeling extra itchy. For around $1.49 each, I think these are great options for new additions to your shower.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Rebecca: Here's a link to where you can find Yardley soaps--the new scents should be on store shelves starting this month! Hope this helps!


    Where to buy Yardley of London Soaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy: I'd love to know what you think when you find them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I wish one of the Dollar Trees here would carry these new scents. All we get is English Lavender and Lemon Verbena. I am a little over these 2 fragances, but love the soap itself! I really want to try the Honeysuckle Citrus that you like so much and we never did get the holiday scents! (sigh)
    Oh well hope springs eternal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, I doubt that the Dollar Tree will be getting the newer fragrances. It would be nice, but I think if you really want them you'll get them at Rite Aid or CVS (where I usually see them anyway). It's only about 50 cents more there too, so not bad really.

    I'll stick to my lavender soap at the Dollar Tree anyway, it's just my favorite fragrance of all time. Would you believe my grandmother bought me a three pack of Yardley's English Lavender soap when I was 7 or 8 and I just thought it was the best gift ever. I guess I was a weird kid. But I've loved that soap ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Yardley made Pomegranate Rose perfume or something; I have to sniff that soap every time it comes through my line at Dollar Tree, haha. Isn't it just the best scent?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig