Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Review: Biore Marshmallow Whip Facial Cleanser

Let me start this review by telling you that this is a Japanese product from the Japanese division of Biore. I know, I know, I WISH they sold this in US drugstores, but the good thing is that you can find it at Mitsuwa and I'm sure you can also find it in other Asian markets that carry Asian beauty products. I think you can also get it on Ebay and websites that sell Asian beauty products, but I haven't looked into that.

So even though it's not as easily accessible as US Biore products, I still wanted to review this product because, as many of you already know, I'm obsessed with Japanese beauty products. I even have a category on this blog for all of the goodies I've found at my local Japanese dollar stores.

I purchased this at my local Mitsuwa a few weeks ago, and I was delighted to find it on a sale table in a little bag that also contains some Biore towelettes. The price of this set was $12.99, which was a good deal since the Marshmallow Whip Facial Cleanser retails for $11.99 by itself at Mitsuwa.


The bottle itself has a pearly pink pump and a cute round shape to it. I remember seeing this review on Cosmetic Candy back in 2009, and at that time I filed this cleanser away in my memory banks (as I do with anything that has the word "marshmallow" in the title). But then when I saw this tempting review on Musings of a Muse, I decided to check my local Mitsuwa for it and BINGO! Found it!


OH HOLY LUXURY!!! The foam of this cleanser surpasses any other foaming cleanser I have ever used! I am not kidding when I say that this is the most dense, springy, luxurious foam on the planet! There is a "bounciness" to this foam that really is like a marshmallow. I swear to you, when I cleanse my face with this stuff, the foam never seems to thin out or dissipate, even as I'm working it into my skin. The whipped, bouncy texture feels utterly amazing as I'm cleaning my face and I can't think of a single US facial cleanser I can compare it to.

Look at this foam!!


Can you see how dense it is? It makes my Aveeno foaming cleanser seem like a watery, sad weakling in comparison.

This cleanser has a light, floral type of fragrance (oh how I wish it smelled like marshmallows!) but I find it mild and pleasant.

As far as performance goes, this cleanser is a dream to use, and it leaves my super-oily skin feeling incredibly soft and clean, yet not dry or tight in the slightest. In fact, I swear it gives my face a slight glow and my skin seems to be a bit more even than it did a few weeks ago. My one complaint is that it doesn't fully remove all of my eye makeup, so I would suggest using it after you've used eye makeup remover. I love all-in-one cleansers that remove my eye makeup, so this is a kind of a bummer for me. But that foam really makes up for it and I've found myself actually looking forward to removing my eye makeup with makeup remover just so that I can use this cleanser afterward. If you're a longtime reader of this blog, you know that's a big deal for me because I generally hate using eye makeup remover.

And in case you want a closer look at the towelettes, here they are (I haven't used them yet so I can't give you an opinion):



FINAL VERDICT: If you're a foaming facial cleanser gal, I think you owe it to yourself to track this down. The foam is something I just cannot accurately put into words, but just trust me when I say that it makes all other foaming cleansers seem very weak and flat in comparison. This stuff is pure decadence and, unlike other foaming cleansers that tend to dry out even my oily skin, this one is so gentle that I'm almost positive it will work beautifully for you dry-skinned gals as well. The only two faults I can find with this cleanser are: 1) it doesn't fully remove eye makeup, and 2) it's not easily available in the US. Boo to you, Biore, for not putting this on American drugstore shelves!

Have you tried Biore Marshmallow Whip Facial Cleanser? If so, how do you like it? If you don't already own it, does it sound tempting to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. that looks so awesome! the next time i stop by my nearby Mitsuwa (45 minutes away grrrr) i'll def pick this up! i love wandering in the beauty aisles, but i can't read Japanese and always have a hard time figuring out what product is what...they have English labels but even then it's confusing -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This cleanser sounds amazing!!! You are so lucky to have access to places that sell Japanese beauty items!!! I agree...they are so appealing...I mean, the packaging is so darn cute!!! You have made me want to venture through town just to find this as I am sure there is somewhere in my city that sells this stuff!!! Great review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biore is actually a subdivision of a Japanese corporation (I had no idea until I looked that up!). I do wish they would send this cleanser to US shores though.

    But if you like this, you should try the Japanese foaming cleanser, Softymo Air Whip. It's in a mousse can and I heard it's even more dense than this one, if you can believe it. :o

    I read about it here:
    http://lotuspalace.blogspot.com/2010/02/bubble-face-wash-showdown-whos-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! thhe towelettes [we call them wipes] are amaaaazing!
    The are makeup remover wipes, which are so soft, yet remove all the waterproof eye makeup. Instructions says to hold to your eye for a few seconds [i hold it for 10 secs or more] and then wipe.

    I use waterproof mascara from Majorlica Majorca and their mascara is a bitch to remove. With these wipes? I'm happy! No more messing around with eye makeup remover. [I'm lazy, like you. with oily lids, in humid hot weather.]

    Try try, you'll love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was surprised to see a review of Biore on your website! Do let me know if you like the wipes - Japanese wipes are usually too small and too dry to do much for me.
    I like this cleanser, but I typically use a face wash net to get the same results. Still, a good cleanser!
    Just so you know - it is NOT marketed as being able to remove makeup, and they suggest you use two pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had access to Japanese products- they look so cool! That packaging is adorable- I love marshmallows too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there isnt a store like that around my area :( but there is something close...you have me VERY intrigued G. I will check this out today since I will be at the mall where said store is...wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica: I agree! I love wandering those aisles too, but the labels can be confusing, even the ones in English. BUT, I've noticed that if you look at the labels on the actual shelves (where the barcodes are) they are MUCH more helpful! :)

    Pammy: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has a thing for Japanese beauty products! :) If I could, I swear I would buy every single product I see. LOVE!

    Angelica: Thank you so much for the info. Yes, I think Biore is owned Kao (the brand at the bottom of the bottle)! And OMG, I wish you would have never told me about that other cleanser! LOL! I MUST find this! I simply cannot imagine a foam being more dense than the Biore. Thanks for the new lemming. ;)

    Poppy: Oooooh, you make me want to bust them open RIGHT NOW and try them, even though I'm ready to take off my makeup! lol! Thanks for all the awesome info. :)

    K: Yep, every once in a while I review Japanese beauty products, but I know it's frustrating for readers who can't find these products in their area, so I try to keep it to a minimum. :( And THANK YOU for letting me know that SUPER helpful info about this cleanser! It's great to know that it's not marketed as a product that will remove eye makeup (which makes sense that this set came with makeup wipes!) and that they suggest using two pumps. I actually should have included that in my review--it's SO much more dreamy and amazing when you use two pumps versus one pump. You're the best! xo

    Sasha: Awww, I'm so sorry you don't have easy access to these types of products. :(

    robin: Oh girlie, I would LOVE to hear if you're able to find this one. It's worth the hunt--seriously. *fingers crossed* :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow wow it sounds wonderful! Wish it smelled of marshmallow though :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. it would be very helpful if you posted a picture of another foaming cleanser next to this one! thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this review, I found this at my local Japanese supermarket- Mitsuwa . Including the towelettes. I've never used the towelettes before so unsure of how to use it

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig