Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wet n Wild Limited Edition Midnight Nail Color

When I showed you the display for the new Wet n Wild limited edition holiday Wild Shine polishes a little while ago (click here if you missed it) several of you mentioned that one of the shades I purchased, Midnight, is actually the same color as the discontinued Wild Shine shade Wild Orchid (thanks again to those of you who clued me in to that!!).  So if any of you missed out on Wild Orchid when it was still available, you've got another chance with Midnight.

For these swatches, I used two coats of Midnight on my my pinkie and ring fingers, and two coats of  LA Colors Nuclear Energy (a bright plummy purple creme which you can see here) followed by one coat of Midnight on my middle and index fingers.  Since Midnight goes on sheer with the first coat, I thought you'd like to see it alone, and also layered over something else.



 I think it's pretty obvious in the above photos that two coats of Midnight isn't going to cut it. It will definitely require three coats (or maybe more?) for complete opacity. But looking at my index and middle fingers, I think this looks LOVELY layered over LA Colors Nuclear Energy.  It doesn't quite alter the color of Midnight so much, but it brightens and enhances it.  

I'm such a sucker for holographic microglitter.  I love this color, despite the fact that Mr. G really dislikes purple nail polish in general (he thinks it looks cheap--what does he know??). So I like wearing this color just to spite him!

In real life, the microglitter in this color isn't over-the-top or distracting at all. I think it just lends a little bit of a festive vibe to the purple, but in a subtler way than full-on glitter. I think this would look gorgeous for the holidays paired with a simple black dress!

By the way, two coats of Midnight make this polish a little bit gritty to the touch (which can be easily remedied with a good top coat) but one coat of Midnight as a layering polish leaves no gritty feel whatsoever.

Here's a picture taken with flash--it turns the color way more blue than it really is, but you can see the microglitter a bit more:


Do you own the discontinued Wild Orchid? If so, are you happy to have a back-up with Midnight? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. That is really lovely! I especially like the blue flash but it would drive me nuts to have to do three or more polish coats to get it opaque. Love the glitter and the blue flash though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks gorgeous!Purple is my fav for winter and with these sparckles!!!Lovely!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely! I don't have the original, so I'll be happy to (hopefully) get this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I had no idea Wild Orchid was d/c! And I just gave away one of my bottles! Nooooo!!! Looks like I'll be picking up a few of these, then! I, too, am a sucker for all things holo microglitter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww my heart started fluttering when I saw that color. My very first car was a VW Jetta that was a very similiar blue/purplish depending on how the light hit it. That car was the love of my young life...I might have to get this polish for that reason alone!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig