Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rite Aid alert: tons of products on clearance (and a bonus nail swatch)

Allow me to tell you a little story about my drugstore makeup addiction. I went to a local Rite Aid the other day, and almost cried (not really, but I did panic a little bit). I'm sure almost all of you reading this are familiar with the area of the drugstore where they keep all of the new and limited edition makeup displays. It's always the first area of the drugstore I hit, and I know I'm not alone. Well, when I walked into this particular Rite Aid the other day, it was like being hit over the head with a brick. ALL of the counter displays--I mean ALL of them--were GONE. And in their place? Holiday gift sets! And not even the good holiday gift sets, but the men's fragrance gift sets, generic body wash gift sets, you know the type.  It was just boxes and boxes overflowing in the "sacred territory" that usually is a showcase for all the latest and greatest drugstore makeup collections.  What the?? I've never seen them do this before, and I certainly hope it's not a trend!

So in my sadness, a thought occurred to me: "Well, if the makeup displays I saw here last week are gone, what happened to all the makeup??" If the products were limited edition, they couldn't stick them in the core collection displays because there aren't slots for those items. Then it hit me: check the end-cap clearance shelves. BINGO! I found sooo many products on 50% clearance it was enough to make my head spin! Jesse's Girl Mood Lipsticks, Physicians Formula Mineral Powders (these were reduced even more than 50% for around $2.50--the loose mineral powders and the pressed in a variety of shades), and the list goes on. So...even though Rite Aid seriously messed with my head, it wasn't a complete loss after all.

BUT THEN (and here's what I REALLY want to share with you) I went to another Rite Aid, and guess what? I must have caught this particular store as it was getting ready to make room for the holiday stuff because look at what I found:


Doesn't it feel like just yesterday we were all going crazy for this Fashion Week display? Well, I have to tell you that I finally was able to pick up that lovely gray polish, Grey-T Glamour, and I got it for around $1! It was regularly $4.15, reduced to 50% off. But as you can see in this display, there were still some $1 coupons left! So after the coupon, my total came down to just $1.08. Score!  Here's a swatch:


 Maybelline Grey-T Glamour (retail: $4.15)

(I tried to peel the big ol' clearance sticker off the bottle but it wouldn't budge and I couldn't find my Goo Gone.)  If you're a gray polish fan, I think you might need this. When I first saw it, I thought it wasn't that special or unique, but honestly, after wearing it for a few days, I've come to adore it. I just love the subtle shimmer and this particular shade of gray seems to work well with my skintone.

Moving on, I also spotted these goodies:


Again, doesn't it seem like this display came out just a little while ago? Hard to believe it was July, or maybe that's just me...

And check this out!


Not bad, right? Four bucks for a bottle of polish AND a top coat!

So the moral of this story is, GET THEE TO RITE AID ASAP. If your store hasn't already put out their holiday gift sets, they are probably in the midst of making room for them, which means you should find lots and lots of makeup and polish on clearance! Have you already spotted some good clearance deals at your Rite Aid? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. O_o!!! I will be thee at Rite-Aid tomorrow. Its a field trip though...lol...the closest one is about 30 mins away:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. as soon as hubby is home from work, we are going! i really hope to get lucky.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh i need to hit my riteaid!

    actually that fashion week Maybelline display was on clearance like a good month or two ago for me, 'cause i grabbed Charming Cobalt at that time for half off. speaking of which, that trio is GORGEOUS. i'm so glad I bought it on a whim because i remembered you blogged about it. that taupe is tdf!!! and that teal...it's rare to find a color like that that looks good on my neutral warm skintone without looking dirty, but man, that taupe + that teal AND a shimmery/satiny brow highlighter that looks good w/o being too shimmery...this is honestly the best d/s e/s palette i've picked up in a while (well maybe along with teh WnW stuff) :D thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully this is at my local Rite Aid as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my rite aid did the same! i walked in and saw the holiday gift sets/fragrances take over the displays. i checked the clearance secions, and there was no LE makeup anywhere to be found :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here Clarissa, I don't know what they did with all the LE stuff, because it wasn't clearanced out, and yet there were piles upon piles of the fragrance gift sets all over the place.

    There is another Rite Aid that I should hit, but that one is even worse about clearancing out old stock, but sheesh, they have sooooo much of it. I won't get my hopes up, but I'm going to check tomorrow anyway.

    The one that is totally bumming me out is my CVS. Every once in awhile they put stuff on the clearance end cap, and they had those Orly Metallics, and they weren't selling, so I thought, bide my time and eventually... No! They all disappeared, never got clearanced out. I don't know what happened to them, but they are gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. poo, all three of my rite aids still had all the le displays right where they belong. i asked the nice lady working, and she hadnt heard about anything being clearanced, but that the holiday floor set was coming. maybe how they do their markdowns varies between regions?

    *shakes fist*

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have the best up to date posts on drugstore makeup & bargains. I love your blog! thank you G!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn! No Rite Aids here. But you know, Wags and CVS are sure to follow. I have my stalking drugstore clothes on as we speak. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the RiteAids in my area (SC) clearanced the whole store months ago; then were under renovation for a couple months. They have now reopened as a shared store (I forget the name) with the majority of the space dedicated to groceries. They hardly have any beauty products anymore and do not ever have special displays. Has anyone else experienced this?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig