Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 18, 2010

Review: New EOS Lemon Drop and Tangerine Lip Balms

I want to thank my longtime reader Tiffanie because, without her, I wouldn't be bringing you this review today. You see, Tiffanie knew that I was having a difficult time finding EOS Lemon Drop in my area (all my local drugstores either don't yet carry it, or are always sold out) so what did she do? She sent me one! How sweet was that? Thank you so very much, Tiffanie, for your kindness and generosity! Oh, and be sure to check out Tiffanie's fab blog here. She blogs about lots of drugstore products and other goodies!

As for the new Tangerine Medicated Lip Balm, I didn't even know this existed until I saw it at my local Rite Aid the other day, so of course I had to pick it up! And Rite Aid just so happens to have an EOS Single Check Rebate for $2 this month, so if you live near a Rite Aid, you can have this, or any other flavor, for just a buck! Just be sure to get it before the end of October to qualify for the rebate.

EOS Lemon Drop Lip Balm SPF 15 (retail: around $3)
EOS Tangerine Medicated Lip Balm (retail: around $3)

Packed with lots of natural and organic ingredients, not tested on animals and gluten-free, I think there are lots of reasons to love EOS lip balms. But of course everyone's favorite thing about these products is their shape. I don't think a person reading this can help but be drawn to these little globes. They are just too cute, aren't they?

For a more detailed review of my thoughts about the packaging and functionality of these balms, you can read my original review of the Summer Fruit flavor here. Today I'm just going to be talking about these particular flavors and how they feel on my lips.


The biggest difference between these two balms is clearly the ingredients. Lemon Drop contains UVA/UVB protection, while Tangerine does not contain SPF but is medicated with phenol (an external analgesic). So, in other words, one "protects" while the other "heals".


So how do I like each one? First let's start with Lemon Drop. To me, the fragrance of this balm is light and subtle. It's not a mouth-puckering lemon, but more of a lemon-sugar type fragrance and flavor. It feels very smooth on my lips, and I really can't detect a big difference in texture when compared to Summer Fruit. If you already own one of the original EOS flavors, then you probably will enjoy this one as well (if you like lemon, of course). I think this is a wonderful addition to the core collection and now I can understand its popularity. Who doesn't love sweet lemon flavors and fragrances, right?

Now on to Medicated Tangerine. I have to tell you that this one takes a tiny bit of patience. On first whiff, I was little put off by the fragrance of this balm. But please, do not let that stop you! At first the "medicated" part of this balm shines through, and I smelled that all-too-familiar medicinal scent that medicated lip balms tend to have. But then when I applied it, that medicinal scent all but disappeared and the lovely tangerine scent really came through. To my nose, this doesn't smell like straight tangerine, but more like a blend of tangerine with just a hint of another tropical fruit (mango, maybe). And surprisingly, unlike other medicated lip balms, the flavor is predominantly tangerine and I don't really taste the "medicine" part of the balm at all once it's on my lips.

Medicated Tangerine is lacking hemp seed oil and some of the natural extracts that Lemon Drop contains, but it makes up for it with the addition of shea butter, acai and ginger root (as well as phenol and a few other ingredients). Put it this way: both balms are packed full of terrific ingredients, so it's really just a matter of what type of balm you need.

Oh, and I do want to add that Medicated Tangerine feels a bit creamier on my lips than Lemon Drop, which has a little bit of a thinner consistency on my lips. I'm assuming this has to do with the addition of shea butter. Also, even though this is a medicated balm, I don't have that "tingly" feeling when I wear this. I do detect a very, very slight cooling effect, but it's a barely-there cooling effect for me, and nowhere near the level of other mediated balms.

So, there you have it. That's my take on these two new addictions to the EOS lip balm family. I really love both of them, and I think that, depending on your particular needs, either one would be a great choice. Plus, who can resist that packaging??

Do you own any EOS lip balms? What flavors do you like? Do you think you'll be picking up either one of these new offerings? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I have all of the Eos lip balms (minus Tangerine) and I love them!! I didn't even know Tangerine existed until yesterday when I started seeing it popping up on beauty blogs. I'll be running out to Rite Aid asap to get it! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the summer fruit but am put off by the strong scent after a while. i also dislike that the outside of the package kind of gets dirty looking in my bag (maybe i just have a grimy bag??) but other than that i LOVE eos balms, i finally found the sweet mint on the other day at sephora and i la la love it! the scent is just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pick one up when I'm next across the pond. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Sweet Mint, Summer Fruit and Honeysuckle Honeydew. I will look for those other two at my Walgreens. For some reason, I really like these, but I don't put them in my pocketbook because they seem too bulky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tangerine?? I have to find this! I have Summer Fruit, Honeysuckle Honeydew, (or is it the other way around?), and Lemon Drop. EOS balms are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Summer Fruit and Honeysuckle Honeydew. I don't know much about phenol, but does it dry your lips at all? I ask because I decided to try Blistex Medicated Ointment since it was free after the Rite Aid Single Check rebate and the camphol ended up drying out my lips. The result is that I'm wary of any lip product that has "medicated" in the name" I know that eos isn't Blistex, but I thought it was worth asking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried EOS lipbalms partly because some of the other flavors didn't have SPF and my sensitive lips NEED the sun protection. After I'm through with my Softlips I'll give these guys a try! The tangerine one is right up my alley because I'm so prone to coldsores! The medication my doctor prescribed me runs for $150 a tube and it expires in just 3 months >.> (Thankgod for insurance... I only paid $15 for that tube haha)

    Thanks for letting us know about these new flavors :D I'm excited to see them in my stores~

    ReplyDelete
  8. After all the hype around these, I got the summerfruit one and I'm confused because everyone says it smells delicious and mines smells like rubber kind of? Its not very moisturizing either. Maybe mines is defective. I like my Nivea lip balm better so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm interested more in the Lemon Drop one since it has SPF 15, my lips aren't severely dry or anything, so I'll probably skip out on the Tangerine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found these at a Walmart superstore in my area. They had the summer melon and lemon drop flavors sitting in an egg-carton like display at the check lane that sells cigarettes ( X_X why is that lane always the only one open!) I think the price was about 3.40 or so, but it was definitely cheaper then what I was paying at Walgreens for it. I know that that walmart is a tester Walmart (like I saw the new Aveno tinted moisturizer there a year before it came out else where) so it may not be at most stores (I haven't seen it at the two other Walmarts I've been to).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want to try this but too bad its not available in our country =(

    ReplyDelete
  12. :)! I love the lemon drop, sweet mint, and honeydew but do not like the summer fruit at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had all of them except tangerine ( must find it ) . And to be honest , I didnt like the lemon drop one - which is probably the reason I lost it ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought Lemon Drop and I LOVE it! I really want to try the other flavors but I haven't been able to find them ANYWHERE in my area. Our Wal*Mart finally got these in, so hopefully more flavors will arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. G, my lemondrop is VERY lemony smelling (which I absolutely love). I also love the Summer Fruit and Tangerine (just got it today). Honeydew one is nice but it's not my favorite of the scents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Tangerine is SOOO moisturiing -love it! Especially great for fall/winter. Good timing :) Smells pretty good too. However, it feels so good on my lips I am constantly rubbing them around!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have Honeysuckle Honeydew, Strawberry Sorbet and Sweet Mint, and I love them! The honeydew one is the creamiest to me and reminds me a bit of whipped cream- yay! All 3 are nice and light; I'm going to get the tangerine one next, I think.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig