Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, July 19, 2010

Review: Axe "Recovery" Body Spray (this might surprise you)

This is usually the type of review I'd ask Mr. R to write for this blog, but I actually really wanted to tell you about this Axe scent myself because, well, I'm kind of digging it. For me. To wear. Yeah, for me.

Back in 2008, I saw some very positive reviews for Axe's Proximity collection over on basenotes.  People were saying that there were very pleasantly surprised with these three single-note fragrances (Amber, Vetiver and Bergamot) and that they were a real departure from the typical tween-ish fragrances that we're accustomed to seeing from a brand like Axe. (Note: I believe the Proximity collection has been discontinued, but you can still find random cans at certain drugstores.)

I purchased Amber after reading that review, and I loved it. It's not what you'd expect from Axe, and it actually reminds me a lot of Bath and Body Works' amber scents, but for about 1/2 the price (or less). 

So the other day I thought it might be fun to take a stroll down the men's deodorant aisle and see if I could find anything new to pick up for Mr. R, who occasionally likes to wear fragrance (I love him in Dolce & Gabbana but it's always fun to sniff a new scent on him every once in a while). 

And that's when I came across this little gem:

 Axe Recovery (retail: around $4.99, 4 oz)


This week Rite Aid has Axe on sale for $3.99 with $1 +UP Reward, which is a pretty good deal, and I also had a $1 Axe printable coupon from Coupons.com (sorry, it's no longer up) which brought my total down to $1.99.

What immediately drew me to Recovery is that, to my nose, it smells exactly like Irish Spring soap. Irish Spring is an iconic soap that is still quite popular (especially for men) and every once in a while I'll bust out a bar and use it in the shower because I loooove the nostalgic scent.  It's just so crisp and refreshing, and it brings back great memories.

So when I took a little whiff of Recovery, I was immediately reminded of Irish Spring and I knew I had to get it. And sure enough, when Mr. R sniffed it he said, "Hey, it's Irish Spring!" 

So if you, or the man in your life, don't want a fancy scent, but just want to smell clean (like soap), you might want to give Recovery a shot.  You never know...it might turn into your go-to fragrance for a while. I'm loving it--especially during this heatwave.

Are you an Axe fan? What scents from Axe do you like?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I like posts like this! Mr. R always makes me laugh! I might ask my bf what he thinks of this, but he likes to go au naturale. THe only scent I smell on him is the degree I buy him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate Axe. Most of that is due to the fact that I'm still in high school where boys like to apply half a can of cologne in the hallway (usually right by my locker) before each class, though. I imagine if I could smell a reasonable amount at once it wouldn't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband LOVES Irish Spring and has used it faithfully and exclusively for about a decade.

    he likes cologne and will wear one of four (2 i bought him, 2 he bought) every day, but i have a feeling he'd love this too, especially since cologne can be overwhelming in the heat.

    I'll have to look for this when I go to the drugstore tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you’re loving AXE Recovery. Have you tried the new AXE Twist scent? It actually changes throughout the day ! We’d love to send you some, shoot me an email at jenniewithaxe@theaxeeffect.com and we can chat some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can someone tell me why Ax Recovery is so hard to find? I am not into men that wear cologne, but I fell head over heels for a man that wears this. I even have asthma, and this doesn't bother me. I broke up with this fabulous guy last year, but wanting to relive the scent, haunts me. It smells like light clean LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They stopped manufacturing it here years ago. You can get the imported stuff on Amazon though. Thats where I get mine and its my all time favorite scent!

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig