Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Sinful Colors and Revlon displays!

Wow, if you're a nail polish fanatic, it's a great time to hit up your local drugstores because new collections are coming fast and furious these days. Yesterday I was at my favorite Rite Aid and spotted the new Sinful Colors displays. As far as I can tell, these are actually new shades and not just re-promotes of core collection colors. Yay!

(click to enlarge, again to magnify)

Is it just me, or do you think the names of these shades don't really represent the actual colors at all? I mean, maybe Hot & Sour is close to the shade of actual hot & sour sauce, but why is the blue shade named Chopstick? I think I could have come up with more creative names for these shades! Great Wall could have been Pickled Ginger, and Chopstick could have been something like Yangtze River. There are so many beautiful images in Chinese culture that could have been drawn upon to name this collection, so it's kind of sad that a bright pinkish-coral was named Fried Rice (huh?). How about Aster instead? Aster is a very popular Chinese flower that actually comes in a shade almost identical to this color. What do you think?

Sorry for the tangent! Anyway, these colors are pretty though (even though, to my naked eye, they seem very similar to other existing Sinful Colors shades), but I WISH I knew what those two missing shades looked like! If you have seen this collection in person, please fill me in and let me know? I'm hoping there's a pretty green in there!

Moving on, here's the collection that had me at hello:

What do we have here? Another "vampire-inspired" drugstore collection! It's definitely the trend these days, right? It's impossible to see in these photos, but each of these polishes isn't what you think it's going to be. From a distance, they all look like basic shimmery polishes. But up close, some of these shades have glass flecks, micro-glitter, and other pretty effects. Vamp looks like a boring red at first, but up close it's got a very sparse amount of glass flecks floating in its shimmery crimson base, which give it a beautiful effect.

The real show-stopper, in my humble opinion, is Love Bite. I can't even begin to describe it here, so please check back because this shade compelled me to record a video in order to show you what's going on in this little bottle! I'll be posting it later today.

And finally, when I was at CVS I spotted this display:

Nothing new here, but this might be a helpful display for some of you who weren't able to find the 2010 scented polish collection and the much-coveted Daydreamer collection in your area, as this "Summer Favorites" display includes some colors from both and also from a nude collection I must have missed (anyone know what that collection was called?).

Speaking of the Daydreamer Collection, I want to take a minute to let you know that I've been told by a few readers that the shades in the Daydreamer collection, including the GLOSSES such as Lilac Pastelle, are now part of the permanent core collection and are no longer Limited Edition. I can't 100% verify that this is true, but definitely look for them in the Revlon permanent display and see if you can find them!

But here's the weird thing about the display above: I purchased Gray Suede when I first saw it in the Daydreamer display (click here if you missed that) but yet it's mysteriously missing from THIS display. Interesting! Also, two of the prettiest shades from the scented polish collection are missing: Grape Pop and Gum Drop (click here to see the original display). Do you notice anything else that's missing?

That's it for this drugstore report, but as always, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I saw the Revlon Scents of Summer collection back in my Kmart earlier today- I missed this collection when it came out, and I've been wanting Gum Drop for so long! Although I skipped picking it up because Kmart is so pricey. I'd probably get it if I see this display at my Walgreens (Hopefully they get it!). Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... that sinful colors shanghai nights collection seems very reminiscent of the opi hong kong collection in terms of the inspiration for the names and whatnot. and in the targets near me, the daydreamer collection lipglosses have been incorporated into the permanent displays as "new shades" not "limited edition". so i think they should be permanents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read on another blog that Wags is going to do another 99 cent sinful colors deal in a couple weeks. Please do not quote me on this because the previews are always subject to change/regional, but just wanted to give a heads up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I want to check out the new Sinful vampy shades. I saw the Shanghai shades at Riteaid the other day and wasn't too impressed. I totally agree about the names though. It's like they decided on the names before the knew what the shades would be. How silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'll definitely be looking for the Sinful displays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta say, I think a lot of those Sinful Colors 'Darkness' collection look like renames to me. :-/ That one you posted, Love Bite, looks an awful lot like What's Your Name, which I have. There's some others that look very similar to me, but I don't have my SC collection in front of me. I'd advise everybody to check their SC collection carefully before they go and get a bunch of dupes with different names. Sheesh, Sinful, come on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading about the Sinful "Darkness" colors on MUA and the consensus there is that they're re-named core colors. Shame on you Sinful!! I agree with femputer, check them carefully ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, ladies! Wow, thank you for this information. I *thought* that the Shanghai colors all looked really familiar, but without having the shades i own to compare them with, I didn't want to draw any conclusions. Especially since the NAMES are different. But if the MUA gals are saying that the Darkness collection is all re-named shades from the core collection...well that doesn't sound good to me. What a BUMMER! :( But thank you for filling us in because it's probably going to save a lot of people from buying duplicates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to my local London Drugs, I can't think of an American equivalency sorry & I can confirm too that in Canada, Lilac Pastelle (NP form) is a part of the permanent collection! I think Minted & Gray Suede is too. I found those colors on the permanent displays & it said NEW SHADE below. I know, BLESS YOU REVLON!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was in Walgreens today and saw Minted in the perm display on the wall. It even had its own little nameplate. There were others from the Daydreamer collection there too, but most we're already sold out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with you. who wants to put fried rice on their nails? yuck.
    bamboo, lucky knot, stone lion, lotus, silk, jade, pearl ... all sound more appealing.
    jane in china :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't buy a polish called Fried Rice. lol I can't believe that... who picked those names? Probably men. :P
    I'm really interested in the Colors of Darkness shades. I'm so ready for Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm excited to check out both of those Sinful displays in person! Also I wanted the Revlon Minted and Lilac Pastelle so bad! Glad to see I have another chance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried Revlon's nail polishes before, but I'm really tempted to! That Minted one *has* to be mine! :)

    drugstoreandbargainlover

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to two Targets this week, and in both the Daydreamer collection nail polishes had been incorporated into the regular line of Revlon cosmetics, down to the shelf labelling having the printed color swatches. Interestingly, they were not labelled as "new shade", just seamlessly incorporated into the existing stock. I'm not sure if the entire collection was there (I saw Lilac Pastelle, Minted, and Grey Suede), and I didn't notice if the glosses were now regular stock, but I think I saw the eyeshadow quad.

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    Today's CAPTCHA: "fintesse" -- which I am someday going to use as a shampoo/conditioner name :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg I saw the colors of darkness collection yesterday at rite aid and the first think I thought of was "dam these are sexy colors!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. The SC display at my Wags has the old names on every bottle. Funny thing though, the sa thought they were new colors. >.>

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig