Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Great HiP 510 Debate of 2010

[UPDATE: IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO GET THIS AT YOUR LOCAL CVS, DON'T FORGET TO PRINT OUT THIS COUPON FOR $1 OFF ANY L'OREAL PRODUCT!]

If you have no idea what the title of this post is in reference to, then it just means you might not follow me, or the lovely GlowyJoeyBunny (of Pink Sith fame, and now author of her own blog) on Twitter. You see, for the past few days, actually ever since I posted these pics of a new HiP eyeshadow duo display I recently spotted at CVS, Joey and I have been debating, via Twitter, about whether or not one of the duos in this display is actually the same duo that apparently caused quite a stir on MakeupAlley last year.

The duo in question, Electrified 510, was apparently so beautiful that it reached covet-worthy proportions. People were quite upset when it became impossible to find (I'm not sure if it was LE when originally released or what the deal was--I wasn't even aware of the frenzy in the first place, but that's only because I'm not as into HiP as so many others out there).

One side of this duo was a gorgeous, richly-pigmented, shimmery taupe, while the other side, well, that's one of the things that spurred this recent debate. You see, Joey told me, via Twitter, that she posted about this duo on Pink Sith last summer (click here to see her review). And when I looked at her pictures, it didn't really look like the duo I saw at my local CVS (which happens to go by the exact same name, Electrified 510). In her photos, I thought the darker side of this duo looked more like a dark reddish bronze, while the duo I saw at CVS looked like a deep purplely-plum. So the question became, did L'Oreal re-release the original 510, or did they release an altogether different duo with the same name as the one from last year?

For some, this might seem silly to debate. But for drugstore-eyeshadow-loving me, and taupe-eyeshadow-loving Joey, it was serious. We needed to get to the bottom of it, and I'm ashamed to admit we both lost a little sleep pondering just what the heck was up with 510. Her pictures didn't match the pictures I took of the display, plain and simple.

But then others got pulled into this debate. The lovely JA99fitt hopped in on Twitter and told us SHE found the display in her area, and she bought 510 (naturally) and loved it so much she visited three other CVS locations just to buy back-ups. We asked her if she could tweet us a pic of her duo, so we could compare the shades to our pictures (more on that later).

But then it all became too much. I figured, "I need to just get my booty down to CVS and buy the @$%& thing and settle this once and for all." So yesterday, I did just that. I bought it, and I couldn't even wait to get home before tweeting a picture of it to Joey, for verifcation purposes, of course.

I tweeted her two pics of my 510 duo while still in the parking lot of CVS. Yep. And guess what? Joey confirmed what we were hoping for all along: the newly released Electrified 510 IS THE COVET-WORTHY 510 OF LAST YEAR! It's BAAAAAACK, folks!!!

But of course it couldn't end there. JA99fitt then tweeted us a picture of her 510, and, *gasp*, it didn't look a thing like MY 510! I started to panic for a bit, until JA99fitt so graciously confirmed for me that she had taken her photo in artificial light, which slightly altered the shades. But she confirmed, with 100% certainty, that the 510 currently in my possession, matches the 510 currently in her possession.

So that, my friends, means this case is official closed. The Great HiP 510 Debate of 2010 has come to an end. And what did we accomplish? Well, now we can share with all of you the great news. Electrified 510 is back, and if you missed it the first time, it can be yours (and right now it's even on sale at CVS for $6). Yay!

And if you've made it through this post, I'm sure you're all a little anxious to see some pics, so here you go:


As you can see, the colors of this duo look really different depending on whether the lid is closed or open. But let me tell you a little bit about 510 in case you haven't seen it in person. OH MY GOODNESS. The taupe on the left is so shimmery it can look like a foil without even applying it wet. It is INTENSELY pigmented and, dare I say, maybe one of the most pigmented shadows I've ever seen at the drugstore. In some lights it looks like a silvery taupe, while in other lighting it looks more golden. I don't really care what you call it though, because to me, it's just a whole lotta gorgeous.

And the darker plum shade? WOW. Just, wow. In full sunlight, this shadow is loaded with baby-fine multi-colored microglitter that gives it the most lovely glow. Really, you need to see this shade in person to fully appreciate it.

So what else can I tell you? If you aren't convinced that you need 510 by now, I don't think you'll ever be convinced. if you're a taupe lover, you've just gotta have it. And by the way, the wonderful Rural Glamour just gave me the heads-up that CVS is printing out Extra Bucks on receipts today so, well, yeah. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Big, huge thanks go out again to Joey and JA99fitt for their help in ending this debate. Love you gals!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. oh my, that is beautiful. i guess it sold out as well in my area because i've never saw this duo before. i think i'm going to make a trip to cvs tomorrow, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's pretty! It must be sold out over here too, simce I practically live at CVS and had not seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this duo after Joey reviewed it on PinkSith last year and I completely agree. It is *stunning* and for some reason, I don't wear it often enough. I think it's a bit too much for me to wear every day. But it's so gorgeous for anything dressy, and especially for the taupe side - the texture is a dream. Almost creamy. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really is pretty. i feel bad you went thru all that because when i saw it in my fred meyers , i thought- well ill get it later. i got it , wore it to the movies, put it on now and only now afyer having read your post did i know there was such a buzz about it. man , i guess i ought to go get it a back up now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most awesomest post about 3 insane taupe addicts I have ever read. What I like best is that I was not a part of this frenzy. You are all lunatics and I absolutely love you all for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate to be Debbie Downer, but I think this is too important not to let people know about:
    Skin Deep does not give these babies good toxicity ratings in general, or much else from the HiP line for that matter:

    http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wordsearch_free.php?hq=L%27oreal+HiP&go=go

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niki: Yep, definitely check the new product area at your CVS because I haven't seen this one in the permanent display (yet). :)

    dangerkitty: In my area, I've only seen it in the new HiP counter display, but hopefully it will be in the perm display soon! :)

    A: Yay! I'm so glad you love it too--and good for you for getting it the first time around! I can only hope that everyone who missed out then can get it now. :)

    christy: How funny! Well, if you love it like I do, then yes, a back-up is in order. Haha. :)

    Kimberly: Awwww, how sweet. Me too! :D

    Elvira: Hahahaha!! But oh, you were part of it in spirit, and you can't deny that! :D xo

    SH: I always welcome information like this, and I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. The only thing I want to mention is that, for the HiP duos, I noticed that the studies were done in '09, and they also don't list THIS particular duo. In other words, since L'Oreal released this last year, and then re-released it THIS year, who is to say that they didn't change or alter the ingredients? Maybe not, but how can we be sure?

    While I can't comment on the hazards of this or any other drugstore brand of makeup (I'm not a chemist, and I have a hard time putting all of my faith in any one website on the internet) it's good to see this information and be aware of potential dangers.

    I've seen a lot of support for Skin Deep, while I have also seen a lot of criticism. Again, I'm not a chemist so I can't really say definitely what's good or bad about their research, however I do think it's important to note that many ingredients, in certain combinations, cancel each other out in terms of negative effects. I'm not sure Skin Deep takes all various combinations into account when they publish their findings (I could be totally wrong, but it appears that they rate each ingredient on its own merit).

    Basically what I'm saying is that I can't rely completely on the findings of one particular website, but it's always good to have information so that we can all do our own research, ask questions, and determine whether or not we feel comfortable using a product.

    SO thanks very much for sharing and opening the dialogue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I'm going to get this, if it's in my area :) I'm a taupe lover... plus, I have$4.50 in ExtraBucks to use right now, so if it's $6, I can get it for $1.50 :) Woohoooo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your swatch so much I nabbed the last one from CVS. The coupon machine gave me $3 in Extra Bucks, so with those + L'oreal eye shadows being on sale for $6, I only ended up paying $3 for the duo! I had to try it on when I got home... here are the results:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/dvse2f.jpg
    http://i50.tinypic.com/33wvdic.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to two different CVS stores and found just one of these left at the counter display of the second store. Thanks to your info, Recessionista, I had already printed out my $1 coupon, just in case I liked the look of the eyeshadow in person. It didn't look all that exciting in the package, and the last thing I need is another eye shadow, but I went on faith and bought it anyway. I actually had some extra bucks, so I ended up paying nothing for it. Tried it on in the car (of course) and OMG!!! I adore it! Thank you so much for the heads up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you silly cats made me go buy the darn thing, full price no less. i had $10 in extracare bucks but after OT meds and other stuff... i felt i still paid full price =p

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that this is so five years ago. I get that. But, this is still my HG eyeshadow. I've found it a few places & bought them out when I've found them. I am now hitting the pan on my last one. I'm in panic mode. (I know, get a real problem, right?) In sincerity, I love how I feel when I wear this! So, do I go to ebay, or amazon? Does anyone know if it's totally, completely discontinued? Is there a dupe for it? I don't mind paying a bit more, I just want the same taupey-beauty that this imparts! :) I have all 3 Naked palettes, hoping for the smoky one, soon. Can anyone help me? Please G...I've read your blog off & on since the beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig