Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, April 23, 2010

My top five picks for affordable springtime body washes

This is so weird! A few days ago I thought to myself, "I should post a list of my favorite springtime body washes like I did last year". So I went into my archive and it turns out that I did my original post on April 21, 2009. So exactly a year to the DAY, I thought about doing another one. I guess this time of year really does make me start to crave new body washes!

So this year, I am definitely not at a loss when it comes to bringing you yummy new body washes that scream "springtime". Here is my top five list of new body washes for spring, in case your shower is in need of a seasonal (and affordable) overhaul.

In the number five spot, let's start with a new product that I have only seen at Target so far (but I'm hoping for a wider release soon so that all of you can try it!):

Softsoap Body Butter Mega Moisture Body Hydrating Wash (retail: approx $5, 15 oz)


Normally, when I think of vanilla, I think of autumn and winter. But there are some vanillas (hello, Bath & Body Works Vanilla Noir!) that work for me all year around. The fragrance of this body wash is creamy vanilla, but there's a slight floral background that manages to keep it out of the "I want to eat this" category. It's more of a soft, pretty vanilla and, to me, it's perfect for those springtime days when there's still a chill in the air. I've been using this one for about a week now and it hasn't left my skin dry or tight (maybe that's due to the mango seed oil in this formula?) and it produces a rich, thick lather. I'm loving it.

Moving on:


In the number four spot:

Nivea Touch of Radiance Massaging Beads & Lime Blossom Scent (retail: around $7, 16.9 oz)

Let me make one thing clear: Lime blossom does not smell like lime! Lime blossom, otherwise known as linden, tilleul or French lime blossom, is a flower that comes from the linden tree. I know this because I'm a linden FREAK. If you've ever smelled linden, you know it smells nothing like lime. In fact, I'd say it more closely resembles fresh cucumber, but with a soft, almost baby-powdery background. It's lovely, but it ain't lime! So when I first saw "lime blossom" on this body wash, I knew better than to get my hopes up. I've gotten used to seeing lime mislabeled as lime blossom over the years, and this is another one of those cases. But the good thing--no, the GREAT thing--is that this body wash smells divine! If you love fresh, real, lime, I think you will enjoy the fragrance of this product. To my nose, it smells like fresh-squeezed lime juice with just a hint of sugar thrown in for good measure. It's so invigorating and mouth-watering and such a nice pick-me-up in the morning. If you're a lime lover, definitely give this one a sniff!

In the number three spot:

Dial NutriSkin Ultra Hydrating Body Wash in Cherry Seed Oil & Mint (retail: around $4.50, 16 oz).

I really can't say anything more about this body wash than what I told you in my original review (click here to check that out). It is DEE-LIGHT-FUL and I hope you have a chance to try it (or at least sniff it) soon. It really screams "springtime is here!" whenever I use it. :)

In the number two spot:

Kings & Queens Queen Elizabeth Sugar Shower Gel (retail: around $7.99, 10.14 oz)

Please, if you want to know all about this product, read my original review here. I could easily bestow additional heaps of praise onto this body wash, but I don't want to repeat myself. :) Kings & Queens, made by Korres and now available at Target, is a Greek bath and body line that features products that are paraben and mineral oil free, and smell, how shall I say this? Mouth-watering good. Queen Elizabeth Sugar Shower Gel makes me want to cry, it smells so luscious (and perfect for springtime). I said in my original review that this product will surely make my Cheapie Awards for 2010 because I can't imagine anyone else releasing something this year that smells better than this body wash, and I still believe that. Definitely worth a sniff the next time you're at Target.

And in the number one spot...drumroll please...

Based on overall value (you get a huge bottle for the price), accessibility (Dove products can be found everywhere), and of course fragrance and performance, I had to give this product the Number One spot:

Dove Go Fresh Active Body Wash in Pomegranate & Lemon Verbena (around $7, 24 oz)

I know I rattle on like a mad woman about the smell of this body wash (it's like fresh pomegranate juice!) but geeze, it's just a perfect scent for spring. And the very best part? It now comes in a body mist too! The body mist doesn't smell exactly like the body wash, but it's close enough and I'm delighted that I can get my Pomegranate & Lemon Verbena fix outside of the shower now as well. This scent is the epitome of springtime to me, and if you love tart, crisp, fruity scents, I think you need to try this one ASAP.

I hope this list gives you some ideas about how you can update your body wash stash as the weather warms up, and of course if you own any of the products I've mentioned, I would love to hear from you!

Disclaimer: All of the above products were purchased by me, with my own funds.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. dear R, thank you for once again validating my life. i say this because on my blog (which is not on blogger) i always post this one particular poem in the fall. (Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Spring and Fall, To a Young Child"). last fall i looked back and discovered to my surprise that i had posted the poem in the exact same week of October for 3 years in a row. almost to the day, actually. so i totally get the seasonal urge thing! i love Dove's Nutrium washes because they really do moisturize. Can't wait to sniff that limey one (even if it's lime and not linden).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm, I think I'll have to try a few of those out, especially the Softsoap vanilla one!

    On another note, you mentioned the B&BW Vanilla Noir - did you know that that scent is discontinued?! I wanted it based on your original post, and I went to get it on Monday and they told me it was d/c'ed in Jan! :( They have the perfume online, but I prefer body sprays since they are lighter, and that is out of stock. I'm so bummed about this! I may try eBay or something, because I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifulmonday: WOW! Thank you so much for that. :) I'm glad I'm not alone in this "seasonal urge"! That was an incredible story you shared! Three years in a row? That's crazy! And btw, please let me know what you think if you sniff the Nivea body wash? :)

    JenJen: Are you serious?? What a BUMMER! When I wrote my edt review, I looked it up on the website and they were still selling this scent in every product they make, and nothing was out of stock. That is a HUGE bummer, but I will tell you that several of my readers have said the edt is better than the body mist, only because the body mist can get extra spicy, while the edt isn't very spicy at all. So maybe it might be worth the extra $$? Plus, you really only need one squirt of the edt since it's more concentrated. It will last you forever! And if all else fails, take a trip to the drugstore and test out Halle by Halle Berry. They're very similar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep trying to get to target, but my bf hates shopping. I really want to try Kings & Queens and One!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as BBW Vanilla Noir, I'd wait until the big semi-annual sales. I bet it comes back, or at least they will have an EdT sale.

    My fave springtime wash is Softsoap's Honeysucke & Orange Peel. It just smells like spring to me. I love it. (But that Dove one is starting to tempt me.)

    Great blog BTW. I just bought the PF Gel Eyeliners at CVS for $6 with the sale and coupon. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the latest All You magazine, there's a BOGO free coupon for those Nivea bodywashes. Expires 5/31/10!!!! All sorts of crazy coupons this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okies, I got together my favorite spring-y body washes to make a list of! Not all of them are cheap ones, but you can usually find good sales and coupons for B&BW anyway. They're not in any order.

    Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa Need a Margarita - I guess it's more summery than springy, but I love the scent and it really wakes me up and makes me feel good

    Bath and Body Works Enchanted Orchid and Butterfly Flower - Two floral scents I really like!

    Tone Blueberry Antioxidant - Super yummy smelling

    Nivea Touch of Happiness - Such a great orange/cream scent! Always makes me happy and makes my whole bathroom and room smell good

    Dial Nutriskin Grape Seed Oil and Lemongrass - Nice and fresh and citrusy

    Dove Men+ Extra Fresh - I got this for my roommate back when they were free after extra bucks and I love it when he uses it. It makes the whole apartment smell fresh and clean and it's a little bit citrusy. And his skin smells good and is soft afterwards. I use it every once in awhile and it's great for me too. :D

    Also, I got that new Dove one you love last week, but haven't had a chance to use it yet, since I'm trying to use up a tube of body wash I don't like as much right now.

    Oh, one last thing. I read on the Bath and Body Works Facebook page that Vanilla Noir and Enchanted Orchid aren't discontinued. They're just scaled back so now you can buy them online and in certain stores, but not every store. I also read that the new Vanilla ones aren't going to be limited edition, which is awesome to me since I love the lemon vanilla body spray and really want the body wash in it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip on the Vanilla Noir, Recessionista! Maybe I will spring for the EDT then; I do have a coupon for $10 off $30. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PCS: Hopefully you can get there soon, because I really want to know what you think of both! :)

    girlshapedlovedrug: Congrats on getting the PF liner! Yay! Also, it's funny that you bring up that Honeysuckle and Orange Peel body wash, because that exact body wash made my list LAST year, and I still love love love it! :)

    thedogismine: I just saw that!! Awesome!!! :) Are you going to get one?

    Hana: Oh, I love your list! And don't you just love that Tone Blueberry? It's fantastic. And thanks for the great info about BBW! That would explain why it's still on the website! Great to know...I hope they NEVER get rid of it. :)

    JenJen: You are so welcome! And did you see Hana's comment above? It's not discontinued! Yay!! :) Can't wait to see what you think of it, if you use your coupon to get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness, i just bought olay ribbons body wash in mandarin oil and the smell is AMAZING. i've only seen it at walmart, though. it's kind of spicy and floral at the same time. i can smell it on me all day long!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig