Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, January 30, 2010

Spotted at Rite Aid: New products from Prestige, Physicians Formula and more

I made a quick stop at my local Rite Aid tonight and spotted some new displays so of course I had to share! As always, apologies for the blurry Blackberry pics.

First of all, more of the new Prestige displays are out (click here for a detailed look of the new Prestige product launches for 2010) and a few weeks ago I showed you the new lipstick display. Well this time it's the mascara and lip glosses:

Prestige My Longest Lashes


I REALLY love Prestige My Biggest Lashes (click here for my previous review) but I'm always tempted by the prospect of super long lashes so I can't wait to try this one.

Prestige Skin Loving Minerals Lasting Moisture Lip Gloss


I love that these are naturally scented, talc-free, mineral-oil-free and paraben-free. For a better look at the colors, click here for swatches from Prestige. They all look quite wearable and again, I'm excited to try one.

Physicians Formula Bamboo Wear Sustainable Beauty (face powder and bronzer refills, kabuki brush and bamboo compact)

I know these have been out for a while but this is the first time I spotted the display locally. These powders are very pretty in person (they're dual-toned and embossed with a bamboo design) and the gimmick is that you need to purchase a separate bamboo compact to house the refills. But don't worry because each compact has a "Try Me Free" instant coupon on the box. So I am actually considering just getting the compact for free and then waiting for a sale on the refills. Pretty good idea, right? :) It's a nice compact!

Here are some close-up pics:


A closer shot of the Bamboo Silk Face Powder and Bamboo Silk Bronzer refills

Close-up of the Bamboo Wear Compact, which is free if you use the "Try Me Free" sticker on the box at check-out


And lastly, I spotted this Lysol No-Touch Hand Soap System, which is brand new. I'm sorry, but for $14.99 (yes, $14.99!), I don't care that you also get a bottle of hand soap with it. That's expensive for something that requires FOUR AAA batteries to operate. It will cost you a small fortune just to buy this and keep it running, and for what? I mean, I can understand someone wanting a touchless soap dispenser in an office or someplace like that. Sure. I get it. But in your home? You're living with the people in your home, so you're pretty much touching common surfaces all day long. I don't think a touchless soap dispenser is going to do much to keep cooties away from the people you live with, right? Am I crazy here? It just seems like a pretty decadent thing to have inside your home, not to mention expensive.

And the refills:


$3.99 for 8.5 oz. I've seen worse in terms of price, but when you tack that on to the $14.99 start-up fee plus the 4 triple-A batteries you need to juice this thing up...I don't know. I will admit though that this scent, Energizing Green Tea and Ginger, smells AH-MAZE-ZING and I wish they sold it in regular pump bottles because I would so buy one.

That's it for now, but as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts on these new products!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. The bamboo compact is adorable! I'm almost tempted to go get it just to see if I can put something else in it... or just use it for the mirror!

    I'm with you, I don't get the no touch soap dispenser for your home... I think common sense stayed home from work the day the came up with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one-time medical student and always germphobic me can understand the no-touch soap dispense for the kitchen (avoid cross-contamination while cooking) and for the bathroom if you have a bad case of norovirus or some other highly contagious, easily-transmitted disease running rampant through your household, but $14.99? That's nuts! I think I could actually go to Radio Shack and my local dollar store and build one for less! Betcha Lysol's aiming the pump at those who panic at the mention of the word "influenza" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't the try me free stickers on Physicians Formula things usually for a mail in rebate? I sure hope it's not, since I will definitely get one if I can just get it free. :D I'll probably get one anyway though, when they're on sale.

    So I think I can tell people now. I tried the Lysol hand soap back in November as part of a product test. And while I didn't like the type of soap in mine very much (the smell isn't as pretty as Bath and Body Works scents and it was rather drying), the dispenser is awesome. The starter kit does come with the 4 batteries, and we've been using ours multiple times a day since November and the batteries appear to still be going strong.

    Personally I love that it's an automated dispenser, because I've always thought it was weird that you put germy hands on a soap pump... I just looked on the website and none of those scents are the one I got, so I'm kind of hoping to run out of soap soon so we can replace it. XD And I was afraid the thing would be messy and put out way too much soap or put it out at the wrong time, but it doesn't.

    I do recommend it, especially for people with roommates or in the dorms at college or something.

    And $14.99 really isn't that bad considering you only have to spend that much once. Just wait until they start going on sale or having coupons or something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The no-touch dispenser is nice, but I agree that $15 is too much for something from the drugstore! You can probably go to target and get one for the same price or cheaper! Hopefully, it will go on sale soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the lysol no hands thing at walmart for $9 and some change, first 4 batteries and a full size soap included. The green tea and ginger one smells great too! I love this thing, with a messy 2 year old it makes washing his hands so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't you get the green tea and ginger soap and just pour it in a regular bottle if you really love the smell? Like, rinse an empty hand soap bottle and just squirt the new soap in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok excuse my ignorance here with the no-hands soap dispenser, but if you're using your hand to pump out the soap aren't you going to wash that hand with the soap you just dispensed? So wouldn't your hand be free of germs anyways because even if the soap dispenser had germs on it you'd be washing it off when you washed your hands? Am I crazy and missing something here? lol. I mean germs are everywhere, once you touch the sink to turn it off didn't you just contaminate yourself again? I really don't get this no-touch soap thing it baffles me. I definitely don't get spending $15 for it. If it was $3-$4 I'd get if for the purpose it looks cleaner and nicer not because it would protect me from the germs I'm just going to get 2 seconds later. -rant over- sorry :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love how you just went in on that Lysol product! LOL, let them put YOU on a research panel. Haha!
    But I totally agree with you, and the previous poster about getting it if it was cheap just for aesthetic purposes.
    I really do love your blog, you are the Drugstore QUEEN! You just broke it down for me, lol! They should totally pay you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aedd: lol! So glad you share my thoughts about that dispenser. It just seems waaaaay to expensive for what it does, right? And yes, that compact is freaking adorable! :)

    NinaraPoll: Wow, I never thought about the potential cross-contamination while cooking. When I was still eating meat (I stopped several months ago) I used to freak OUT about touching the soap dispenser after cutting up raw chicken (and the water faucet, etc). Very good point. And LOL at your comment about Radio Shack and the dollar store!! Actually could be true, right? :)

    Hana: Absolutely not! :) I mentioned in my recent review of the new PF Powder Foundation that there was an instant $4 off coupon on the box, and that coupon looked exactly like the one on this compact. So...I'm assuming it's the same deal--peel it off and present it at check-out. I got my $4 off right there when I paid for it--no rebate needed. BUT, I think I might go back to Rite Aid in the next few days and see if it actually is like the rest of the instant stickers that seem to be on most of this new PF stuff. I'll keep you posted! Also, thanks for all the great info about that Lysol product. Good to know that it works so well...I still can't get over the price, but if I find a really good coupon and can combine it with a sale, well, never say never, right? :) And I would love to know what you think of that Green Tea and Ginger scent--it is fabulous!

    K: Yep, I totally agree about the price. If it was say, $6.99 or something I could see giving it a shot just to see how it works, so maybe it will start to appear at other places for less money soon. And if it totally flops, then we'll see it at the dollar store eventually, right? lol. :)

    Jo: Wow, you got a great price for that! Much less than the price at Rite Aid, that's for sure! And I didn't even think about good this could work with toddlers! Great point! :)

    Beck: I actually thought about that, but it just seemed like a lot of work and extra waste (though I do try to recycle my plastics whenever possible). I don't know...if I keep thinking about how great it smells and I just can't get it out of my mind (sadly, this happens a lot with me and yummy-smelling soaps), I think I might give that a try. IF I can get it on sale, of course. lol. :)

    Stephanie: lol! I totally see your point. And for me, when it comes to getting sick (and I'm a total germaphobe btw), the LAST thing I usually freak out about touching is the soap dispenser, just because there are so many other common areas (kitchen table, phones, remotes, etc) that seem to be far more sketchy. Also, when I wash my hands I do the "sing Happy Birthday twice" thing before I'm done, so I am scrubbing with hot water like a freaking surgeon. I would hope that this technique is getting anything I may have picked up from a dispenser OFF of my hands by the time I'm done, so I actually agree with your point! But for those who don't fully scrub like crazy when they wash their hands, I guess I could see that you could possibly pick up some germs from using your dispenser that you potentially don't get rid of when you're washing your hands. But again, another great point you made is that you're possibly contaminating your hands all over again when you turn that sink off at the end! LOL! This whole thing gives me a headache sometimes, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has that thought process going through their heads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. adorepink: You are too kind! Thank you so much for the kind words. :) I actually didn't think that the soap dispenser of all things would cause such a great discussion here in the comments! I LOVE hearing all of these different opinions from you ladies and everyone has brought such great ideas and information to the table.

    And thanks again for the sweet things you said. You totally made my day, honey. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're going to love the prestige mascara! it left my lashes so long and well defined. normally I prefer big fluffy brushes, but this one is plastic and flexible. very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon: Oooh, thanks for the info! Can't wait to try it now!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig