Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, November 8, 2009

Review: Out the Door Northern Lights Holographic Top Coat

I am probably waaaay late to the game here, but I was at a local beauty supply store here in San Diego the other day and for the first time ever I saw Out the Door Northern Lights Holographic Top Coat (retail: around $5):


(This is the silver one but it also comes in gold)

Now, at first glance, I didn't think much about this. In the pic above, it looks like a clear top coat with a few holographic particles suspended in it, right?



But when you follow the directions on the bottle and "shake it up", um...WOW!





 

 So what does this look like on?


 
Top: Sally Hansen HD Hi-Definition Nail Polish in Opulent Cloud
Bottom: Opulent Cloud layered with Out the Door Holographic Top Coat
 

 

 


 OK, so here's what I like it about it: to the naked eye, it's subtle. I think that the darker the base color, the more intense and sparkly the holographic effect will look. On a medium shade like Opulent Cloud, it's a fun and very quick way to give your existing nail color some punch.  I also like that it's just like the regular Out the Door top coat in that it dries in seconds. Literally, seconds!

What I don't like: When it dries, the finish is grainy/bumpy. You can feel the holographic particles.  BUT, If you use a good top coat over Out the Door Holographic Top Coat, it takes away the grainy feel.  To some it might seem silly to use a top coat over a top coat, but I am really loving this holographic effect so I'll be doing it, no questions asked.

Have you used Out the Door products? Do you like 'em? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, please stay tuned because I'm working on THE most girlie-girl nail look (incorporating Out the Door Holographic Top Coat) that I have EVER rocked on my nails. I mean seriously, this is a very young, very girlie look that I probably have no business wearing, but I love it and I can't wait to show you. I will post those pics tomorrow. :)
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. that's really cool! i'm loving these new top coats and such. i'm using my matte top coat on everything! lol. i like this one too, looks good for the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Giselle! So how do you like that matte top coat? I've been tempted to buy the Orly one but I'm so afraid of mattes. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this top coat looks a bit like orly prisa gloss silver- only that it is dry in a minute and orly's finish isn't really bumpy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really like to try this!! DO you know if Sally's has it, i guess i will have to look..thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look, but like seemingly every single glitter polish ever, I'm put off by the bumpy feeling. I don't care for the sandpaper feeling, but I could deal with it if they all didn't take me half an hour to get the polish off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. amusedPolish: Interesting! I haven't seen the Orly yet...I'll have to check that out. Thanks! :)

    Mama Jen: You know, I don't know if Sally carries this, but I'm actually going to Sally this week so I'll check and report back! :)

    PB: I hear ya. I don't like the sandpaper feeling either, but when I put a layer of Sally Hansen Mega Shine over it, it felt smooth as glass. Also, I just to let you know, when I removed this after I layered it over Opulent Cloud, it wasn't difficult to remove! Granted, it wasn't as easy as just normal nail polish, but I've *defintely* had a harder time removing other glitter polishes. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, it looks really pretty over Opulent Cloud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya & Phyrra: Thank you both so much! I would *love* to see your reviews if you ever pick this up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked Out the Door top coat last time I tried it. I need to go to Sally's sometime soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this t/c as a t/c and as some thing sparkley. It gives np a much needed sparkle. When used w/o the sparkles it dries super fast!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig