Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review & Swatches: Wet n Wild Coloricon 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palettes

By now you've probably seen the new (permanent) Wet n Wild 5-pan palettes at your local drugstores (and if not, they should be much more widespread in the weeks to come). I actually received all five palettes a while back for review, but I really wanted to take my time with these and try wearing every shade in every palette before I gave you my verdict. So let's get started!

NOTE: I will be reviewing all of the new-for-2014 Wet n Wild products, including the new Fergie products, in the weeks to come. I have already reviewed the new Coloricon 8-Pan Palette (click here if you missed it).

NEW Wet n Wild Coloricon 5-Pan Eyeshadow Palettes
(retail: $3.99 each, 0.21 oz)

First let's talk about the new formula:

New Formula

Wet n Wild's new eyeshadow formula now contains macadamia seed oil, and it no longer contains parabens. Here's the old formula (taken from one my trios) if you'd like to compare it to the new formula:

Old Formula

When compared to the Wet n Wild trios, the 5-pans are definitely larger (0.21 oz vs. 0.12 oz for the trios). And we're getting a brand new configuration as well. I've been buying Wet n Wild products since the late 80s and I have never seen this configuration before, even in limited edition palettes:

 photo 005-5.jpg

Each palette contains one large and narrow pan (see blue), one large and slightly wider pan (see purple), one medium pan (see orange) and two small pans (see yellow and green).

 photo 008.jpg
Art In The Streets

The Art In The Streets palette contains all matte shades. Actually, a few of these could technically be considered satin-mattes as they have a slight sheen to them but, on my eyes, they all pretty much read as matte.

 photo 029.jpg
Swatched over Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

Some of these shades are more pigmented than others--the orange shade is the most pigmented of all (it's quite impressive). The purple, green and blue shades remind me of the purple, green and blue shades in the limited edition I Heart Matte palette from 2011, so that's nice if you missed out on that one. Overall, I like the texture of these mattes and they're all quite smooth and easy to work with.

 photo 009.jpg
I'm His Breezy

I'm His Breezy is the all-blue palette in this collection, without a single non-blue shade in the bunch. There are two shimmers-with-sparkle, two mattes and one shimmer (no sparkle) in this palette. 

 photo 032-1.jpg
Swatched over Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

The "browbone" shade (far left swatch above) is the weakest when it comes to pigmentation in this palette, but browbone shades are often designed to be sheer, so that's not a disappointment for me. What really impresses me about this palette though are the two matte shades (second and third swatches above). The sky-blue matte and the navy-blue matte in this palette are totally worth the price of the entire palette for me. They're wonderfully pigmented and they apply like a dream.

 photo 014-1.jpg
Floral Values

Floral Values is not my favorite of the bunch, but you know I don't generally wear purples or pinks on my eyes (they tend to look horrible with my skin coloring). That said, I had a few issues with this one.

 photo 012-1.jpg
Swatched over Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

I'm afraid that four of the five shades in this palette are lacking in pigmentation, and the texture is a bit dry and too hard for my liking. But there is one shade in this palette that I adore, and once again it's a matte shade! The matte cream with pink undertones (see second swatch above) is a winner. It's silky smooth, goes on easily and is very nicely pigmented (seriously, it reminds me of one of my Bobbi Brown mattes). If you're looking for a pinky-cream matte, this shade just might make it worth the price of the entire palette (especially if you can grab it when it's on sale). 

 photo 020-1.jpg
Tunnel Vision

There's no doubt that Wet n Wild knows how to do silvers, and if you don't already own any Wet n Wild silver shadows, this would be a nice palette to try. 

 photo 003-1.jpg
Swatched over Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

Both of the shimmery silvers in this palette work well for me, but the sparkly charcoal shade (far right above) is a bit too sheer for my liking. Once again, the rockstars of this palette are the two mattes. Both the white matte and black matte (see second and third swatches above) are awesome in both pigmentation and texture. Oh, and just for the record, Wet n Wild often puts black mattes in their palettes, but USUALLY they also contain sparkle. So I'm happy that this one is sparkle-free, which makes it much more versatile.

 photo 017-1.jpg
The Naked Truth

Last but not least, we have The Naked Truth. This is a neutral, earthtone palette, and it's the one that I personally was the most excited to try. This one's got some good and not-so-good things going for it, but overall I think it's worth considering if you don't already have shades of this nature.

 photo 013-2.jpg
Swatched over Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

Since this is probably the most talked-about palette in this collection, I'm going to go shade by shade for you. First the browbone shade (far left swatch above). This is quite sheer and, due to the color of my skin, barely shows up on me, no matter how much I apply. It also contains sparkle, and that's about all I see when I wear this color. The two mattes (see second and third swatches above) are--shocker--awesome. Both are smooth, silky, pigmented and easy to work with. Love 'em. The taupe shade (fourth swatch above) is on the sheer side but it's still workable--it actually looks much better on the eye than it does in these swatches. The bronze-y brown shade (last swatch above) is also on the sheer side, and the texture is a bit dry (but still workable). Also, it's not too visible in my photos but this shade also contains gold glitter.

Additional thoughts...

I think there are some great shades here, but I don't think that one particular palette is better than the rest. Each palette contains at least one great shade, and some contain two or three. But I have to admit that the wonderful shimmers that Wet n Wild is known for are a bit lacking in this collection. In fact, it's not the shimmers that stand out here--it's the mattes. That's GREAT if you're a matte lover, but if you were hoping to add more wonderful Wet n Wild shimmers to your collection, I'm not sure you'll find them in these palettes. That's not to say they're not worthy of trying out, but you'll need a bit of patience and you'll definitely want to apply these over primer or you might be disappointed with the pigmentation. I miss the old formula shimmers (see the original Wet n Wild trios, 6-pans and 8-pans) which were soft and buttery, whereas these shimmers all feel a little bit drier and harder in texture.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're a matte lover, there are some treasures to be had in the new Wet n Wild 5-pan palettes. Each palette contains at least one or, in most cases, two fantastic mattes that seriously rival higher-end matte shadows. If you're a shimmer lover, I don't think you'll find these new palettes to be at the same level as the old Wet n Wild palettes. But if you're willing to work with them a bit, there are some pretty shades here that might still be worth a purchase the next time Wet n Wild goes on sale. Either way, I definitely suggest applying primer first--it really helps to beef up the pigmentation and lock these into place.

Have you purchased any of the new Wet n Wild 5-pans yet? If so, which palettes do you own and how are they working for YOU? Remember, these are permanent new additions to the Wet n Wild line, so if you can't find them in your area yet, they'll be there soon!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. I'm a Wet n Wild fan and also a matte lover so this seems to be a win-win for me! I'm most drawn to The Naked Truth palette because it contains colors I wear most often. I might also purchase the Tunnel Vision one. Not to create an entire look with but to use as liners or accent colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that there are more matte colors in these palettes, but the quality is not as great like before. I am happy with the new ingredient and no parabens, but the color payoff is quite boring! I bought the Naked Truth palette and was kinda disappointed. I am glad that I did not buy the others since they were quite similar to older palettes. I love neutral/naked colors so I have to get it. Still love Wet n Wild, but I hope they bring back the amazing quality eyeshadows that were well known for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't purchased any of these but am a bit disappointed in this colkection. The quality and pigmentation have gone down a bit and these are colors they've already done before. Im bored with WNW at the moment. I will pick up Naked Truth so I have something to add to my WNW collection. WNW is have to step their game back up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be wonderful if WnW pulls all the great matte shades from these and make a palette out of them? I can dream! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran into these yesterday but decided I wouldn't make a purchase until your verdict! Happy Friday lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appreciate your honesty. I've been eyeing that neutral palette but reviews have not been stellar; this just confirms its not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found these at my Walgreens this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue pallette is really pretty but I imagine that I will pass on these; as you know I don't wear alot of shadow and I think what I have is more than enough to make me happy. However I love looking at these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review- totally helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have both Floral Values and Tunnel Vision and I wore Floral Values so far and I do like these and they are pretty different due to how easy it is for me to apply without primer. I may try out primer in the future but I do like these! It kind of reminds me of Revlon's Primer Shadow pallets but more matte and without the sparkle topcoat. I will try out Tunnel Vision since I do love Don't Steel My Thunder since that is my fave trio and see how I like it! I might go back for the blue pallet and I might try out the Naked Truth one since I sometimes wear the browns in my E. L. F. books and the Bohemian pallet from Revlon. I am kind of surprised WNW switched to a different ingredient but I hope I can still find my fave pallets by them at Walgreens. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Floral values is the only one I wanted, too bad it's getting negative reviews from everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I like the eyelid shade from the Tunnel Vision quin. I love a good silvery color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got all 5 because there was an instant $1 off coupon. That was a no-brainer for my brain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have The Naked Truth and Art in the Streets. TNT was disappointing to me (aside from the two matte shades), and I thought that the purple shade in AitS was pretty weak, but that matte orange! So worth the price! I would pay double just for that shade alone. It's so hard to find a pigmented matte orange shade at the drugstore, and this one is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Art in the Streets and The Naked Truth are pretty but I'm disappointed Wet n Wild changed their eyeshadow formula. I really liked how buttery and smooth their Color Icon palettes were!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought them all...I mean come on considering the price?? You just cannot beat it. I love them, the purples are so pretty too. Thanks for reviews though, I had not cue, they left out parabens in this formula..even though sad to say I don't pay much attention to that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay they left out aluminium! No alzheimers! Lol. But i like The Naked Truth for the two highly pigmented, super buttery and blendable shades which are the base and definer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review, and Thanks for getting me to your blog, G. I will get the brown ones and give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the 8-pan, particularly, Comfort Zone, in an old and new formula; both are unopened as of yet. I wonder if anyone has used each and has thoughts on the favorite of the two? I know one has no parabens anymore...but that has not been a real problem for me...but otherwise, the ingredients mostly seem shifted in order. I must know! I don't want to open them both, one is going to my daughter, and I want her to have the nicest formula. The newest is not always the best.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig