Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, January 11, 2013

Review: Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer

Ever since my preview posts right before Christmas of all the new 2013 Wet n Wild products, I've been busy testing everything to bring you some reviews. I'm finally done with my testing of this new eyeshadow primer (the first eyeshadow primer from Wet n Wild) so let's see how it worked for me:

Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer in For My Primas
(Retail: $5.99, 0.34 oz)

Keep reading for my full review...


The price point of this product is a little more than e.l.f. primers but it's much easier on the wallet than popular primers such as Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance. The tube is narrow and long has enough product to last the average user at least a few months (you only need a tiny squeeze for both lids):




The color right out of the tube is nude-ish, but as you blend it onto the skin, it becomes a little more pink-toned, and then ultimately it dries pretty clear. So don't look to this primer for any color-correcting or evening out of the color of your lids:



The consistency, as you can see above, is on the slick side. It's more of what some would call a "watery" primer as opposed to primers that are thicker and drier. I have to admit that I didn't have high hopes for this product when I first started to smooth it over my lids, because it does feels slick and almost a tad bit greasy or "silicone-y" at first (those types of primers rarely work for me). But as you're about to see, I totally underestimated this one:


For the swatches above, I used the dark brown shade in the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone palette. I find that shade to be a little bit dry and patchy when worn without primer but, as you can see, it becomes quite intense over the Take On The Day Primer.

After using this primer with a variety of different shadows (high end, drugstore, matte, shimmer, sparkle), I have been seriously impressed by its performance. BUT, you must let it dry a little bit before you apply your shadow. This is key because, if you don't let this primer set, it can become a bit goopy when it interacts with your shadow and then it's going to look patchy. So apply it and then give it a few minutes before you apply your shadow.

As for staying power, well check this out:


The above photo was taken after I tried to remove the swatches above with my regular makeup remover towelette. You can see that my skin is red from where I really had to rub to get it come off (the swatch on bare skin of course removed easily, but what you see above is the residue of the swatch done on top of this primer).

I didn't have this type of trouble when removing this primer from my actual eyelids because, once primer interacts with the natural oils of your skin, it does become easier to remove (especially with the help of facial cleanser and/or makeup remover). But I wanted to show you the photo above just to give you an idea of the capabilities of this product. 

So back to how this works on my lids: let me say that on one particular night leading up to Christmas, I was so exhausted after some Christmas shopping that when I came home I fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 3 in the morning. I was wearing this primer underneath a wash of Urban Decay Sin eyeshadow, and I had applied it at about 3pm that afternoon. When I woke up from my "nap" on the couch and went to the bathroom, I couldn't believe that my shadow looked as if I had literally just applied it. Twelve hours later, my shadow looked pristine. That is seriously impressive.

On the downside, this primer doesn't intensify the color of all shadows equally. There are some shadows that will tend to look the same on bare skin as they do over this primer (especially matte earthtones) but with most shimmers (like the one swatched above) it really does a great job at intensifying color. 

In terms of staying power, this primer worked beautifully with every shadow I tried it with--I can't think of an exception. It really kept my shadows in place and crease-free for the entire day and into the night. But do keep in mind that I've been testing this product in the winter and I do not yet know how it's going to hold up in the dead of summer. I'll be sure to update this post with additional info once the weather warms up (if I notice any changes in performance).

There is a subtle fragrance to this primer (it sort of has a generic "primer" scent and is void of any floral notes, etc.). The fragrance is something that I do not noticed during daily application--I can really only detect it when I rub some primer on my hand and then bring my hand to my nose.

FINAL VERDICT: Eyeshadows primers perform quite differently depending on your body chemistry, skin type, what other skincare products you use, etc. So I am always cautious with recommending primers because even the most popular products don't work for everyone. That said, this product absolutely worked for me and my oily skin, providing a full day's worth of crease-free, fade-free wear with every shadow I used during my testing period. It did not heighten the color intensity of every shadow I tried it with, but it did seem to perform better in that department with shimmers (as opposed to mattes). However, it did keep my mattes (and shimmers) in place and looking perfect all day and into the night, without fail. But I cannot stress enough that if you buy this product, be sure to only apply a small amount, blend it well, and let it set for a few minutes before you apply your eyeshadow. I find that this method yields the very best results.

Want some other opinions?  Click here.

You can find Wet n Wild Fergie Take On The Day Eyeshadow Primer at Walgreens stores across the nation.

Have you tried this new primer from Wet n Wild? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

71 comments

  1. Wow! I totally would have passed on this, but it looks/sounds like a great product. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try this! My eyes are very oily and my HG is NARS but doesn't hurt to find a cheaper alternative. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

      Delete
  3. I forgot to take an eye primer of any kind with me on a trip a week ago, and I have extremely oily lids that cannot hold any eye makeup without primer for more than a couple hours. To complicate matters, it was cold and windy and I must have scratched my eye somehow because I could not get it to stop watering for the first few days. I thought I would just pop in to Target and grab an e.l.f. primer, but they didn't carry e.l.f. anywhere I looked. I finally grabbed this at a Walgreens (I must have missed your post with this product preview because it was a total surprise for me) and WOW! IT SAVED THE WEEK.

    Except where I failed to blend it thoroughly enough and it became somewhat visible and chalky after it dried, I found this primer to perform exceptionally well for me. It's not as creamy as my UDPP, but it's also not as thin as my e.l.f. primer. I too doubted the texture of this product at first, but I stand corrected. I bought it for a quick fix, but I look forward to using the rest of the tube, which should last a decent amount of time. I would repurchase.

    One strange thing about my tube is that I find I have to put the lid on immediately after I dispense the product; if I set the tube on the counter while I blend it in and the lid is off, it slowly squeezes more product out of the tube. Have you experienced this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tube does the same thing!! I have to put the cap on immediately!! So weird! Maybe once I use more of the product that will stop?

      Delete
    2. Yep, mine escapes too. The ONLY problem I have had with it.

      Delete
    3. I saw that on a YT video too. Maybe they overfill the tubes and it stops over time?

      Delete
    4. I've heard about that problem too, but I actually have never experienced this issue. I'm thinking maybe a particular batch was ”overfilled”, thus causing product to spill out like that?

      Delete
    5. Same with mine. Well, at least I now know I didn't get a bad one.

      Delete
  4. I love this primer. I did my own test of the primer with the shadows and this is definitely going to be a staple in my makeup collection. It does the work of higher end primers (love my two faced insurance) but SO much cheaper and easier to get =]. For those interested, my YT is MsStrawberryBacon if you want to watch my video demo and review for this primer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear it's working for you too!!

      Delete
  5. I'm still in the midst of testing it out! :D I'll be putting out a review pretty soon as well! :D

    Oh man G, you scared me when I was first reading about how the shadow couldn't be wiped off from the swatch! Then I kept on reading, and phew LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yeah, it's easy to remove when you use regular facial cleanser, but you just reminded me of something! When I splash my face with water (before I apply my cleanser) it's pretty water resistant, which I totally didn't expect! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome! I was just waiting for your review, and now i'm definitely sold! Thanks again, G!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this last week and have been using it this week and so far so good! I haven't had any issues with it!! The product does keep squeezing out if I do not put the lid back on right away!! But after 10 hours of wear my eye makeup looked exactly the same as it did when I put on! Will highly recommend trying, especially for the price!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this last week and have been using it this week. Works great, just like my Two faced shadow insurance or any other high end brand that I have used. After 10 or so hours my eye makeup looked pretty much the same as from when I put it on! Would recommend this especially for the price point! I did have the problem with the tube, have to quickly put the lid back on so the product just doesn't keep coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. picked this up today and can't wait to try it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is exciting, I hope I will get a chance to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a fantastic primer. I would say it's a cross between TFSS and UDPP with the positive features of both. Very slick and thin going on (I too was totally scared at first because I hate slippery primers and they do not work well on my skin), and the tiniest amount will cover the entire eye. Dries down to a smooth just slightly tacky finish. I have 5-6 different eye primers (drugstore and high end) and it's the one I've reached for since the first day I tried it. I love the packaging, the tip of the tube is super small so you can get just a tiny bit at a time, and the cap has a nice ridge at the top which makes it very easy to handle. The ONLY problem I have had with it is the "escaping the tube" issue others have mentioned, and it seems to get worse the warmer it is. I have had no separation of the product though. I was terribly disappointed in the rest of the Fergie WnW releases.. but this one is an A+. I certainly hope it is permanent.

    If you have any problem with concealer slipping or disappearing through the day, put some eye primer under it.. it really helps. Stops creasing, fading, and makes it apply much more smoothly. Also if you have trouble with creasing even with primer, like I do on certain days especially if it is really humid, tap a little milk of magnesia on your lids first. It makes my shadow bulletproof, I have not had one single instance of creasing since I started doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the detailed mini review! I'm so happy this is working for you as well! :)

      Delete
  12. This is working really well for me too - but I have drier skin than you do, and don't typically have trouble with eyeshadow creasing - so I'm glad to hear that it's working well for others, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it's working for you too, Emi! :)

      Delete
  13. is this, and all the other fergie products limited edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are all permanent additions to the WnW line. :)

      Delete
    2. REALLY!?! I snatched them up thinking they were limited edition! Works for me :)

      Delete
  14. Wow! I am seriously impressed. I'm going to have to pick this up. Is it already in the W&W display...or is it in the new products area? I just don't recall seeing it with the regular W&W products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently it's in a special Fergie display, but it will eventually move into the permanent section. :)

      Delete
  15. @Phoebe I saw it on the side caps of the beauty aisle at my Walgreens & I too passed it up. Thank you G for the awesome review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just wondering, I've might have missed it on those posts that you posted earlier about this collection. Is it limited edition??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's permanent, not limited edition! :)

      Delete
  17. This primer is amazing! I have been using it for the past week & Im so impressed. I have oily & hooded eyelids & live in warm & still humid S. Florida. It held up beautifully last saturday out running errands & also during the work week.

    I also agree with the product ozzzing out without the cap on. Weird...Maybe they must have overfilled the tubes? A little annoying but thats a small inconvenience because this stuff just works. I think I will get a backup soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same thing! I didn't have that problem with mine, so I really hope it's just a batch issue!

      Delete
    2. Funny enough G. I used it today & it was fine, no more oozing (fingers crossed)...... Now to buy a backup w/ the $1.00 coupon I saved!

      Delete
  18. I love this primer! It was a very pleasant surprise to me. I hope WnW makes this permanent.

    I haven't had the tube leaking issue though. Sounds kinda odd. Like the tube had be pressurized somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. This looks great, and affordable. I'm seriously considering picking this up, especially if there's a sale!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've only worn it once so far but was very impressed with it! To be honest, I've never tried another shadow primer (never could justify the price to myself), but I was amazed when I had zero creasing at the end of the day. This is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bought this recently and I'm definitely excited to use it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes! :)

      Delete
    2. I tried it today and it worked just as well as my Too Faced Shadow Insurance. My eyeshadow has lasted for nine hours and it looks just the same as it did when I first applied it. I had product running out of mine as well, maybe the tubes are stuffed too full? I don't know, but this product is fab!

      Delete
  22. Hands down the best primer I've ever used. It has all the elements of my favorite primers rolled into one. Eyeshadow looks freshly applied until I remove it, many times 16 hours later. It enhances any color I choose to wear, it doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes, and it's affordable. I have very dry eyelids and most primers just make it worse, then eyeshadow goes on crumbly and hard to blend. This one adds moisture but drys down to a velvety finish and helps my eyeshadow to blend like silk. I'm so blown away by this primer. Bravo Wet n Wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soooo happy to hear this! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

      Delete
  23. Best primer I've ever used...and I've tried them all! My eyeshadow looks freshly applied even 16 hours later, it helps color become more vibrant, it doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes, and it's ridiculously affordable! I have very dry lids and most primers make it hard to blend eyeshadow, but this one provides a velvety finish so everything blends like silk. Bravo Wet n Wild!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard nothing but good things about this. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for this awesome review!!

    G, I have a question. Is the whole Fergie collection limited edition? I'm fairly new to intense drugstore shopping (only 17) and I don't know how to differentiate between limited edition and permanent displays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the review, G! I hope to find this product soon. I love trying affordable eye primers. I love my UDPP but, it's always nice to find a great affordable option when it comes to essentials like eye primers :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for doing this review!! I hadn't even heard of this primer yet but my UD is about to run out (the lil trial size that comes with the Naked palettes) and I was dismayed at the thought of paying over $20 for new high-end primer. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are $1 off coupons at Walgreens.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i bought this & love it, i decided not to invest in another eyelid primer until i'm done with it because i really like it

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was one of my first picks from this new line. I'm still looking for the Holy Grail of eyeshadow primers for me. I still need to work with it because I'm getting creasing. However, I have totally oily eyelids. I usually do let the primer set before I start putting on shadows. Like I said, I'm still going to keep working with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you need to apply less product? It used to make my shadows crease too, so I limited the amount of product I use to a drop, swept over the whole eye with my tiny concealer brush, and now my shadow will just not BUDGE! :)

      Delete
  31. I have heard a ton of positive reviews of this primer. Many compare it to a lot of the high end versions. I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I use UDPP but most days I use my elf primer. Only a buck & I think it works great to help shadows not crease. I have oily lids.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just picked up a tube of this. I'm impressed and love the price!

    ReplyDelete
  34. this is so hard to find! i have been looking for it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I picked this up because I don't actually have a primer--I wear eyeshadow so infrequently I didn't want to shell out for an expensive one. Now it looks like I have a cheaper alternative for those days I do wear more eye makeup. Thanks G!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wish my experience would have been this good. I must have the oiliest eyelids ever!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love my UDPP in Sin. Thought this would be good for matte shadows. Its as good as G says, even with my hooded oily Asian eyelids. My under eye concealed also doesn't fade by lunchtime with this primer.

    My only issue is it doesn't wipe off eyelashes easily after drying. since I don't use mascara, whitish lashes look a little strange!!! Just have to use a tiny brush instead of fingers to apply neatly.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for being clear about this primer i.e. it not intensifying color, but great for staying power.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have oily eyelids and found this at my walgreens, i've been using it for about 2 weeks now and it is super! i would purchase this over more udpp anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Let me preface by saying I have never purchased a "professional" grade luxury eye primer like those manufactured by Urban Decay or Too Faced, because broke-college-kid-turned-teacher just can't afford that. But I've tried almost every drugstore eye primer and have been sorely disappointed by each one. I have oily skin, and with most primers, even my driest shadows and stickiest liners ended up making crease-goop after only a few hours. And cream shadows? Don't even think about it.

    So when I stumbled across this Wet 'n Wild primer at Walgreens, I sort of picked it up on a whim because it was on sale for $3, so I could afford to take a risk. Naturally, I had no expectations. And I was blissfully surprised. I tried both the clear and the shimmer versions, and my experience has been quite positive. This locks my makeup in place and it doesn't budge until I scrub it off--and I do mean scrub. No creasing, smudging, smearing, or fading. I've started putting it under my eyes to keep my concealer in place. Even after a long day of teaching, sweating, crying, and (sometimes) sleeping, my eye makeup stays put. I've even been able to use creamy-ish formulas over the primer with no creasing. I apply a cream makeup remover, let it sit for several minutes, scrub with a makeup wipe, and often still have shadow left.

    The shimmer version is gorgeous by the way. It isn't glittery--just has a nice, light-diffusing, glowy look that makes my eyes look so awake and corrects the darkness on my eyelids. It works as a shadow on its own for days that I just want a little liner and mascara.

    This stuff is miraculous. I'm stocking up. And with a cheap-but-awesome product like this, I'll probably never spend $30 to try a designer primer.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig