Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: Jesse's Girl JulieG Frosted Gum Drop Nail Color in Rock Candy

By now I'm sure that many of you have seen and/or purchased the Julie G. Frosted Gum Drop Collection polishes (click here for the interactive map in case you're still looking for it). As much as I wanted all six shades, I restrained myself and only purchased the one I really, REALLY wanted when I spotted the display at Rite Aid a few weeks ago. But now that I've worn this polish, I definitely want to go back for more. Take a peek:

Jesse's Girl JulieG Frosted Gumdrop Nail Color in Rock Candy
(retail: $3.99, 0.35 oz)

Is it any surprise that I bought the blue shade in this collection? Ha! Since I literally just saw a brand new, untouched display of these polishes at a local Rite Aid the other day, I figured it's not too late to show you some swatches. Oh, and you can also still purchase these on the Jesse's Girl website in case you can't find them locally.

Keep reading for some swatches...


Application is different than regular polishes. I think it's very important to follow the directions on the Jesse's Girl website for optimum results:
*** IMPORTANT Frosted Gum Drops Application Information - For full effect, do not use a base or top coat. Using thin coats, apply 1-3 coats (for full coverage), allowing each layer to dry completely in between layers for full textured effect. This special textured formula may take up to 10 minutes to dry completely matte
I followed the directions above to a "T" and found application SUPER easy. In fact, I adore the brush because, combined with the nice formula, I can apply this polish almost flawlessly on the very first try. The photos below were taken right after this polish dried (I used two coats) and I did NOT do any clean-up after application (there was no need!):


 Outdoors
(two coats, no base or top coat)

Indoors
(two coats, no base or top coat)

Indoors, I feel like you can see the teal undertone to this polish a bit more. It's such a pretty shade of icy, silvery-blue with a dash of teal to it. I wish that I could truly capture how pretty this polish looks when the light hits the little bits of silver glitter--it's so sparkly!

Dry time was very good for both coats--after I applied the second coat, about ten minutes later my nails were fully dry.

I don't know if I'm just getting used to textured polishes or what, but the "sandy" feel to this polish doesn't bother me one bit. Of course your mileage may vary due to personal taste, but I find that after a few hours of wear, you get used to the feel of the finish and it's not distracting.

Wear time on this polish was very good considering the absence of base and top coat. I was able to go two days before I noticed some light chipping near my tips (keep in mind that I'm very hard on my nails--you may be able to go longer before you notice any chipping).

FINAL VERDICT: If you have yet to take a dip into the textured nail polish pool, I think the Jesse's Girl JulieG Frosted Gum Drops Collection would be a fun place to start. At just $3.99 a bottle and six pretty shades to choose from, you can't beat it.

Do you own any of the Frosted Gum Drop Collection polishes? If so, which shades do you own and how do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I still want this one! Lol I thought I could talk myself into only buying blueberry fizz (a pretty Cinderella-y blue) but I still want this and the lavender/purple one! I've been hooked on lavenders and blues lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Blueberry Fizz and Crushed Candy while on vacation and loved them so much I went back for Rock Candy. I was really hoping to get Tangerine Dream but it was already gone :(

    I don't like texture polishes at all but these were so pretty I made an exception! I didn't find the texture annoying at all. I wore it for about three days before I got a couple of chips and took it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased the entire collection when Groupon had their deal going on! I've only worn one color (tangerine) but I love it and can't wait to try on the other colors! The concept is so cool, the texture feels awesome and it just looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color and effect. The only thing holding me back is the lack of base coat and top coat. I am incredibly hard on manicures--it takes a bonder sandwich to get three days for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ignore the directions on all textured polishes and use base coat anyway. All of the ones that I've worn (including Julie G) wear incredibly well on me with it and it doesn't diminish the texture effect at all! I figured that might make you feel a little better about the lack of polish protection sandwiching! :)

      Delete
    2. Laura, Thank you letting us know how you do with a base coat underneath. I too was passing these by because I need a base coat to keep my nails from breaking. I definately am going to try one know.

      Delete
    3. Good to know! Thank you, Laura! This is still available in my area, so I feel better about giving this a try.

      Delete
  5. Pretty! I'll have to grab this the next time I'm at Rite Aid. -Terese Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own the same shade! This is the first texture nail polish for me, and I really like how it looks. Still can't bring myself to purchase the oil nail sand polish though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left the same comment on FB, but you seriously need to go back and buy the rest of them! They are all gorgeous and apply flawlessly and there isn't a single on that I dislike! I love textured polishes, so I have a lot of them, but these ones are by far my favorite and have given me the least amount of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that color! But I wish it wasn't textured. This is one trend I just can't get on board with--I love smooooooth nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, no texture on my nails! NO! lol I also didn't like the crackles and never bought any of those either.

      Delete
  9. I'm totally in love with the shimmers in this line of textured polish, told you it was worth getting them all lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. My RA still has a half full (or more) display. So, everybody, if you want these and haven't found them, keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I own this one, along with the rest of the polishes in the line, save for the orange shade. These do apply well. I actually used a base coat and had little trouble. I do end up filing my nails a bit after the polish dries, though, because the tips feel a bit too textured for my taste. It's hard not to stare at my hands all day long when wearing this, because these polishes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't bring myself to wear polish without a base coat because I'm so opposed to staining. I bought all of these from the Groupon deal a while back; haven't worn Rock Candy yet, but I HAVE worn Crushed Candy and Sugar Rush (the purple/pink and orange/coral shades). Sugar Rush wore like iron when I paired it with my usual Stickey base coat. I started chipping it off from sheer boredom before it showed any chips from normal wear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I own all but the red one..... I love them....Blueberry Fizz is beautiful, the lavender one is my favorite.. I haven't worn the orange one yet but will.. I am wearing the Rock Candy now for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought them all when they were on Groupon and I love them! They are definitely comparable to OPI's Liquid Sand but slightly more textured than Zoya's Pixie Dust. I haven't been able to find Milani's yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought the set when they were on Groupon but have only worn Hot Cinnamon (red) and Crushed Candy (lavender) so far. I am currently wearing Crushed Candy over a coat of Duri Rejuvacote and Orly Bonder. I have had only minimal tip wear and am quite surprised how well it has been holding up. The only textured polish I like better is the OPI Liquid Sand colors from the Mariah Carey collection and that is more for the size and color variations on those colors than for any other reason. I have NOT gotten long wear from the OPI's like I have from the Jesse's Girl Gumdrops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm totally not into the whole texture trend BUT, after seeing the swatches of this particular colour I may just have to give in. That shade is stunning, its like crushed blue diamonds and platinum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your review, G! The display I kept seeing was dwindling, so I finally picked up the purple-pink one after reading your review. I put it on last night and it's just gorgeous! Went on flawlessly and easily. I keep staring at my nails. I used a base coat, with no problems at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any idea where i can find these online? I live in new mexico so no right aides near me :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig