Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Compare & Contrast: New Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Felt-Tip Eyeliner vs. the original

NOTE: if you're reading this review during the week of June 10 through June 16, all Physicians Formula eye cosmetics are 40% off at CVS this week, and that of course includes these eyeliners.

A couple of months ago, when CVS was running one of their killer deals on Physicians Formula, I decided to give some of their eyeliners a try. I noticed that they had released a new, felt-tip version of their Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum, and since I've heard so many wonderful things from YOU about the original version (which I had yet to try), I decided to buy both.

If you're new to the PF Eye Booster liners, hopefully this compare/contrast might help you decide which one might be a better fit for you. After using both liners for over a month, I know that I personally prefer one over the other, so let's take a look:

 Left: New Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Felt-Tip Eyeliner + Serum
in Ultra Black
(retail: $10.95, 0.088 oz)

Right: The Original Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum
in Ultra Black
(retail: $10.95, 0.016 oz)

Left: Felt-Tip version
Right: Original version

Both liners have essentially the same claims, with the only initial differences being the applicators and some of the ingredients:

NOTE: don't apply EITHER liner to your waterline, folks!

The original liner comes in a silver tube that's narrow and long. The felt-tip version comes in a shorter, chubbier tube:

 Left: ORIGINAL
Right: FELT-TIP

The applicators are dramatically different. The original has an extremely fine tip, while the felt-tip liner has a much thicker tip:

 Left: ORIGINAL
Right: FELT-TIP

These first two swatches were done using the lightest amount of pressure I could apply. I tried to make the finest line possible with each liner:

Obviously you're going to achieve a much finer line with the original liner, but that should come as a surprise to absolutely no one, given what the applicators look like.


What's interesting to note here is how solid and opaque the line drawn with the original is, versus the line draw with the felt-tip liner. The line drawn with the felt-tip liner is streaky and a bit watery, and the overall shade of black is not as intense as the black you get with the original.

Here's another set of swatches that (hopefully) show my point a bit more clearly. For these swatches, I tried to make a thick line with BOTH liners, and I think you can really see how much more intense of a black you get with the original:


I tried going back over my line made with the felt-tip liner, but as you can see, it almost makes the liner MORE streaky when you try to retrace your lines for more intensity:


Now for some water and rub tests!

In this first pic, I held both lines under running water for about 30 seconds:


Both lines did a great job at not running/disintegrating under running water! 

BUT, when I then lightly rubbed both WET lines with my finger, look what happened:


The felt-tip liner pretty much washed away under the pressure of my fingertip, whereas the original stayed completely intact.

And finally, here's a DRY rub test:


For the above test, I have to make it clear that I really rubbed hard on both lines. I basically wanted to see what it would take to get the original to smudge, and wow, that baby just doesn't want to move.

So let me break down the pros and cons of each liner for you:
PROS - THE ORIGINAL:

Extremely intense shade of black
Does not budge, even after getting wet
Lasts all day and night on my (oily) skin without transferring or smudging
Very fine point for precise application
Easily removes with makeup remover
Very light fragrance that is essentially undetectable during application

CONS - THE ORIGINAL:

The applicator, though precise, is a bit floppy. If you're not skilled at applying liquid liner, this can make for messy application. There's a definitely learning curve with this applicator, but the more I use it, the better I am at controlling the "floppiness".

PROS - THE FELT-TIP VERSION:

Removes very easily with regular facial cleanser and water

CONS - THE FELT-TIP VERSION:

Applicator is very firm and scratchy on the skin until you break it in. After about five or six uses, the tip does become a little more pliable.
Shade of black is nowhere near as intense as the original
Formula is watery and streaky
Difficult to retrace your lines for more intensity--retracing causes liner to become more streaky
Strong fragrance that is detectable during application (smells almost like a real Sharpie pen to my nose)
This liner transfers and smudges for me after just a few hours of wear
Chubby tube and thick applicator make me feel clumsy when using this product; I can't seem to get this liner deep down in between my lashes because of the thickness of the applicator.

As for the SERUM and lash boosting effects of these liners, I'm afraid I haven't noticed any improvement to the thickness or length of my lashes since using either of these products. HOWEVER, I have not used these liners on a consistent basis (i.e. every single day for several days in a row), so I don't feel comfortable giving you a verdict on the serum in either product.  I CAN tell you that I've received feedback from several readers who have noticed an improvement to their lashes after using the original on a consistent basis.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a liner that simply won't budge (even when wet), I think the original Physicians Formula Eye Booster is the way to go. If you're looking for an extremely intense shade of black, then again, the original Eye Booster is the way to go. I just can't think of a single person who might prefer the felt-tip version, due to its streakiness and lack of staying power (not to mention the chubby tube which makes me prone to clumsiness during application). I do want to reiterate though that if you're a novice when it comes to liquid liner pens, the applicator on the original Eye Booster is not kind to newbies. It's very thin and quite floppy, so it does take some practice. It took me about a week to master, but if I'm in a hurry, I still sometimes have issues with the applicator "springing back" under pressure, which will lead to tiny, unwanted brush strokes. So you do need to be careful and take your time with this one, but the results may be very well worth your trouble, especially if you're looking for a true smudge-proof, waterproof, intense black liner. You'll get all three with the original Eye Booster, but not with the new felt-tip version.

The original Eye Booster comes in three shades: Brown-Black, Black and Ultra Black. For more info, visit the PF site here.

PS: If you're new to liner pens, I would suggest starting with the Jordana FabuLiner in Black (available at Walgreens for $2.99). Of any liner pen I've tried to date, I believe that this liner is the most user-friendly for newbies.
SHARE:

35 comments

  1. The original provides better quality, but felt tips are so much easier to use. I think I will go for easy. THanks for the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on felt tips being easier to use, but just not THIS one, due to it being so thick and bulky. I personally much prefer the Jordana liner I linked to at the bottom of this post...it's truly the easiest felt tip liner I've ever come across. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Hmm such a difference in pigmentation and staying power, but the felt tip version has so much more product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY good point, which I forgot to bring up in my post, so thank you!

      But that said, the quality is so much better in the original that, for me personally, it doesn't matter if you get more with the felt tip. I just haven't reached for the felt tip liner since I've gotten better at applying the original...it's just a superior product to me. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I adore the orginal one. I'm going to have to stock up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the original too!

      Delete
    2. PS: i'm not sure if you got the impression that the original is going away, but just in case, the felt tip is not replacing it, it's just a product extension. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought the felt tip marker was going to replace the original. I love that liner. I have 2 back ups and was already planning to go and stock up some more...lol

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much of this comparison! I use the original and was thinking about trying the felt-tip, but now...forget it! I think the original is an excellent liner - it creates such an intense line that really lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the original version, I find that its a near perfect dupe for some of my favorite Japanese liners like the Dolly Wink liquid liner and the Heroine Make Smooth Liner (although a bit harder to use because of the "floppiness" you mentioned). I really hope they never get rid of the original! Plus, I hate felt liners, they never work for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I am ALWAYS tempted to try those liners that you mentioned so thank you for letting me know that I probably don't need to now. Yay!!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the original version, I find that its a near perfect dupe for some of my favorite Japanese liners like the Dolly Wink liquid liner and the Heroine Make Smooth Liner (although a bit harder to use because of the "floppiness" you mentioned). I really hope they never get rid of the original! Plus, I hate felt liners, they never work for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH I actually love the felt tip one, I've never tried the original though, I will say. I notice that the color is already pretty dark - but I really prefer the felt tip as I'm applying my makeup in trains, a bit more steadiness while I'm balancing a compact really goes a long way. Also - I've been using it steady for a few months now - and I can say that I've noticed thicker, but perhaps not longer, lashes! I have Asian lashes, so it's fairly obvious to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad to hear from someone who enjoys the felt tip version! Thank you for this, because I was really hoping it worked for someone...it just completely didn't work for ME! May I ask if you have dry skin? Because putting aside my applicator and streak issues, I couldn't get past the fact that this smeared on me just a few hours after application. But then again, I have very oily skin. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I really like the original. I've tried several brands, including the Jordana liner in brown (horrible, the black must be better), and this has been my hands down favorite. The line is extremely thin, very opaque, and it does not move. I have it in both black and brown and both are great. I also like the click on cap as I seldom use liquid liner and it seems to keep the product fresh... I have had both for a couple of months and no sign of drying out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mentioned this in past reviews, but YES. The brown Jordana fabuliner is NOTHING like the black! You MUST try the black one if you can...it's nothing like the brown...it totally rocks my world and is one of my holy grail liners. :)

      Delete
  9. The original looks amazing (at least as good as an eyeliner I've paid twice as much for!!) Has it been replaced by the felt tip version or are they both going to be available? I think I might have to try this in the brush variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no! To my knowledge, the felt tip liner is just a product extension of the line and is NOT replacing the original! :)

      Delete
  10. The original is hands-down my favorite liquid/type liner! Actually, I need to stock up on these! The original is the best tool every for creating a winged look. Super quick and easy. Love it and hope they don't discontinue it now that there are two versions! Seriously, I would stockpile the original! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it too! And I don't think they're replacing it with the other one...it's just a product extension. :)

      Delete
  11. My friend loves the original version, and I bought it hoping to love it, but it kept smearing on me! My eyes water a lot and whenever I'd use it, it would smear up my eyelid. I was really bummed it didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did your smearing issues occur during application? The reason I ask is because I had this happen to me once...my eyes watered RIGHT after I applied my liner and it did smear. But I find that once it dries, it doesn't smear at ALL for me!

      Delete
  12. I got to say that Jordana fabuliner is the best thing and user friendly liner Ive ever seen/had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! So glad to hear you love it too!! :)

      Delete
  13. I just picked up the liner today. I got the original. It was 40% off and I got a coupon from the magic coupon machine for $7 off any PF purchase... Can you say JACKPOT? So after the sale and coupon, I was paid $0.40 to take this off their hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCORE!!! So glad you got such a great deal!! Let me know how it works for you when you try it! Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the review! I really love the original one...I don't think I noticed anything different in my lashes, but I wasn't really expecting it to do much in that regard. Plus, I read the fine print down at the bottom of the packaging, by the asterisks, and it says “subjects wearing eyeliner & mascara” for the After pics....so basically the Before pics the girl isn't wearing mascara and eyeliner, and in the After pics, she IS...so OF COURSE her lashes will look longer and fuller. I think that is incredibly deceiving, but luckily I didn't buy the liner for that purpose. Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Surprisingly, I learned to master the winged eyeliner look with the original liner! I found it great for it, and doing winged liner was a breeze! I have yet to find a liquid liner that is so easy to use! And the lines it makes are so fine and perfect. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this! The orginal is my holy grail liquid liner, I wanted to try the new one but now I see I should definitely NOT waste my time on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally going to buy this TOMORROW, based on THIS!! review. I've wanted to try some kind of serum but don't have much belief that it will do as promised. I've been using the PF gel liner strip ever since you reviewed it - it's fabulous for tightlining. (I should stop and count one of these days how many products I have switched to *just* because of your reviews LOL) Liquid liners don't scare me, but I was wondering if shortening the brush with scissors would make it easier to use?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally going to buy this TOMORROW, based on THIS!! review. I've wanted to try some kind of serum but don't have much belief that it will do as promised. I've been using the PF gel liner strip ever since you reviewed it - it's fabulous for tightlining. (I should stop and count one of these days how many products I have switched to *just* because of your reviews LOL) Liquid liners don't scare me, but I was wondering if shortening the brush with scissors would make it easier to use?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my HG liquid eyeliner! (The original) I love it. Here's a tip: in order to extend the staying power, I go over my liner with a black powder shadow every time. (I do this with all of my liners). Actually I also use the black glittery shadow in the LE Wet n Wild Holiday palette from 2 years ago when I want extra shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Store the felt tip tip down (vertical). Much better pigmentation

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder if my eyelids are just dumb..
    It's like no smudgeproof eyeliner works for me..even this one (the original) which everyone praise for its lasting power; it doesn't work for me.
    It just clumps up and falls off when I rub it, but only on my eyelids.
    Do you have any suggestions for me..?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig