Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, December 18, 2011

Review: Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Nail Color in Glass Slipper

Even if you're not a nail polish person, this flakie top coat might just win you over. If you're unfamiliar with  Glass Slipper, this shade is part of the newly-redesigned Sally Hansen Diamond Strength collection that I first blogged about back in October. When I saw this polish at my local Rite Aid, I just could not resist. I had to have it and I think I paid around $4.50 for it (not on sale).

As you can see, the bottles are different now (thicker glass, more facets and just all-around prettier):

Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Nail Color in Glass Slipper
(retail: around $4, 0.45 oz)




What better way to reboot the sometimes-boring Diamond Strength line than by adding a flakie! I don't think we've seen a drugstore flakie polish with flakes THIS big since Hidden Treasure.


But unlike Hidden Treasure, the flakes in Glass Slipper don't have as strong of an iridescent effect to them. Honestly, in certain lights, these flakes look straight-up transparent or silver with no iridescence at all. In other lights, and depending on what base color you use, a very subtle iridescence is visible, but it's not as in-your-face obvious as the flakes in Hidden Treasure.


For my first time wearing Glass Slipper, I decided to try it over another Sally Hansen polish. This is the navy blue creme I picked up at the CVS Beauty Clearance Sale called Thinking of Blue (from the Complete Salon Manicure line):


In all of these photos, I used two coats of Thinking of Blue followed by one coat of Glass Slipper and one coat of Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat.


I LOVE the way Glass Slipper looks like snowflakes or ice shavings on my nails. 



FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a Hidden Treasure dupe, you won't find it with Glass Slipper. However, if you're looking for a drugstore flakie that contains nice big flakes and imparts a sparkly silver snowflake look to your nails, then this one is for YOU. Like I said before, there is a VERY slight iridescence to these flakes, but you have to really look closely or wear a base color that brings it out. If you applied an iridescent or duochrome shade underneath Glass Slipper, it would definitely bring out that slight iridescence. But I actually really love the silvery-snow look that this gives the navy creme polish, so I'm happy either way!

Do you already own Glass Slipper? What polishes do you like to layer it over?
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Too bad it isn't the perfect dupe, but it is a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the proud owner of this polish!!! I love it! One of my favorite drugstore finds for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cnd Sugar Sparkle effect if HTF this one is a perfect dupe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this may find a home with me, soon! Adore the ice-chip illusion on the nails. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this up at BB&B a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet!
    It looks gorgeous and so wintery with the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this polish the other day and I am just in love! I actually wore it over a similar color that you have on, but it looks fab over everything! I even did a sandwhich mani with this and a second flakie from Nail, inc.
    Thanks for the post and the great pics! Definitely a must have polish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks just like snow! I think this with the blue underneath makes a great alternative for holiday manicure!!!! Love it! May have to get this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually quite like how this looks over white. It has a subtle silvery shimmer that appears when your nails are at different angles. I'm pretty thrilled to have a flakie polish that doesn't have a specific color shift, because this way we can have the effect without worrying about color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks JUST LIKE snow!!! I think it is a great alternative for a holiday manicure! I just may have to buy this one! I may like it better than Shine of Times by Essie which I did buy and just think ...eh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wore "Glass Slippers" last week! I layered it over Brash's "Sparkling Brick". Pretty holiday manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh...very cool! Might just have to snag this one! Was just wondering if maybe possible to do a comparison between this one and Hidden Treasure & Shine of the Times if you have that one? Luv ur blog...thx! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't managed to post it yet, but this looks wonderful over Confetti's Rhapsody In Blue. Very Wintery! Looks like a little silver-blue snowflake!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig