Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, March 26, 2011

Swatchfest: new CQ and Petites Color Fever polishes

As promised, here are swatches of all the new CQ and Petites Color Fever shades I've purchased over the past few weeks.

Let's start with my absolute favorite:

CQ Rustic Dream
(retail: $2.99)

Three coats, no top coat


As you can see, this is a beautiful rust/orange/pink duochrome. It is even more stunning in person, let me assure you. I literally can't stop looking at my nails when I'm wearing this one.

CQ Golden Green
(retail: $2.99)

Two coats, no top coat

Golden Green isn't really unique, but it's still a lovely olive green with gold shimmer. I have plenty of shades like this, so I'm sort of regretting this purchase because I was hoping it might be a little different on the nail.

CQ Slate
(retail: $2.99)
Two coats, no top coat

This is a lovely, vampy, dark teal and I have nothing like it in my stash so I love it BUT: warning! Slate is a @#$%& to remove. It didn't stain my nails, but it left a lot of color behind on my skin (on the sides of my nails) and also underneath my nails. I'd double-up on base coat if you're planning to wear this one.

Next, here is Daze, layered over Slate:

Petites Color Fever Daze
(retail: $3.99)

I prefer Daze, which is a lovely glass-flecked(?) lime green, as a layering polish and I really LOVE it over Slate. I'll show Daze to you by itself in a second.

Here is 24K Gold over Rustic Dream:

Petites Color Fever 24K Gold
(retail: $3.99)

I totally did NOT need to layer 24K Gold over Rustic Dream, but I didn't know it would be so opaque until I tried it. As you can see, 24K Gold completely blocks out the rust shade of Rustic Dream. You really can't see that color underneath. Oh, and this was two coats of 24K Gold under three coats of Rustic Dream. No top coat.

Now I'll show you both 24K Gold and Daze with NO base color underneath either shade:

Two coats 24K Gold
Three coats Daze
No top coat



In these pictures, it's hard to see the true beauty of 24K Gold, which is packed with gold and reddish-bronze microglitter. It looks sandpaper-ish in my pics, but that's only because I didn't apply a top coat. In person, it's not too bumpy at all because the glitter is so fine, and a top coat completely eliminates the gritty texture. This is such a stunning gold glitter--it might be my favorite of anything I own. The texture of this polish is quite similar to the Milani One Coat Glitters (kind of like glitter glue) but the glitter particles are finer.

Daze is so pretty--I think it might be similar to a Zoya shade--would anyone like to chime in with a dupe?

If you missed the other new shade I swatched last week, Pink Diamond, you can see that here.

So, do you have any of the newest CQ or Color Fever polishes yet? How do you like them?
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. I'm thinking I need 24K Gold in my life. Right now. xD

    Rustic Dream reminds me a little bit of a lighter Zoya Shivon? Not a dupe or anything, just a similar shade.

    -Kieran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi G,
    I picked up Rustic Dream today and you're right, it's even more stunning in person! Thanks for this! =)

    -carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Zoya dupe for Daze could be Midori. Thanks for the great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haze def looks like zoya midori and maybelline go go go green and there was a loreal bjiou color b strong or something

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually think Daze might be a pretty good dupe for OPI simply smashing! it's too yellow for Zoya Midori or the Colorama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So tempted to pick some of these up~ but I shouldn't right now. heh. Loving Rustic Dream though! *o*

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all really pretty and I'm assuming affordable. Really nice color choices. I'm on a neutrals kick right now though. Show us your favorite neutrals! I'm so curious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so close to getting Rustic Dream when I stopped by to pick up what I could find on clearance. I may have to put it on my list for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daze, at least here, looks like it might be a dupe to Orly It's Not Rocket Science/ChG Zombie Zest...or it miiight be close to their new summer green glitter, Apple, which I'm currently wearing. Daze looks sort of like a cross between the two shades--brighter than Zombie Zest but "swampier" than Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That first polish looks like "bad Fairy" 's sister!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has anyone spotted these at Walmart?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I was actually inspecting those nail polishes today. I decided that $3.99 was too much for such a little bottle of polish, but I might pick up some of those CQ polishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just saved my 'Dazed' from getting passed on to someone else...I love the color, but like Confetti 'My Favorite Martian', that yellow-leaning green looks kind of odd against my skin tone. BUT...layered? Might be different. I'll have to experiment. I like the formula too much to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 24 kt gold polish looks *amazing*!!! Nice swatches! I have never tried this brand, but am going to have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the 24k gold polish. I have been following your postings for a while now and want you to know that you got me back into painting my nails! I have picked up a few of the new W&W colors; I am going to try the CQ next! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish we had Rite-Aids where I live!! I want those polishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rustic Dream looks fabulous! G, you need to use you influence to tell Rite Aid to open more stores across the country, haha! I would definitely shop there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They're quite cheap and so amazing colours!!
    The first one makes me dream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for these polishes. Some of them will probably be coming home with me : )

    I had a similar experience recently with polish staining my fingers when I removed it. I used a little of one of those sugar/grainy like body scrubs on my fingers and the stains came right off.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love love LOOOVE the first swatch!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just got the 1st two myself! :D So pretty and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ladies,
    Are the CG polishes sold only at Rite Aid? Their website claims that they're sold at Walmart as well but I've never seen them there. I reeeeeeally love Rustic Dream but there aren't any Rite Aids near me :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig