Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 25, 2011

Review: New Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser

I recently received some of the new Neutrogena Naturals skincare products for review, and I've already reviewed the lip balm, which I am seriously loving more and more by the day (click here if you missed my review). If you received the Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm in your Target sample bag, I'd love to know what you think of it!

Today I'm going to be reviewing the Purifying Facial Cleanser (I'll also be reviewing the scrub in the near future).

 Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser
(retail: around $7, 6 oz)


In addition to not containing any "harsh chemical sulfates, parabens, petrochemicals, dyes or phthalates", the formula of this cleanser is "90% naturally derived". It also contains naturally-derived salicylic acid (from willow bark extract), which can be great for combating acne. I've actually had lots of luck with skincare products that contain willow bark, so I was happy to see it in this cleanser.

I've been using this cleanser for a few weeks now (every day and night) and you know what? Every single time I use it, the fragrance reminds me of something from my childhood. It's been driving me CRAZY trying to figure it out. Finally, the other day in the shower it hit me: this cleanser smells like watermelon-flavored Now & Laters! Now, it's not identical to Now & Laters, but I'm telling you, it's close. I LOVE it because I love the smell of fruity candies, but I do want you to be aware that this cleanser does have a distinctive, fruity fragrance, and it's not that regular generic "fruit" fragrance. It's special, and it absolutely reminds me of watermelon Now & Laters. Too fun!

As for the cleanser itself, I've been very pleased with its performance. It lathers nicely, and when I work it into my skin, it really feels like it's doing a good job of removing the dirt and oil from the day. My skin feels so clean when I use this product, but I'm happy to report that it doesn't feel stripped, dry or tight either. This cleanser rinses easily off my face, and I've noticed that my skin looks a touch more clear since I've been using it as well.

The one thing I want to warn you about is that, depending on your eye makeup, it may not remove every last trace of makeup from your face. I always use washable mascara, and I've noticed that with certain brands (Revlon Grow Luscious, for one) it takes some extra effort to remove every last trace of mascara from under my eyes. It removes every trace of my Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara with ease though, so I'm very happy about that.

FINAL VERDICT: In my opinion, Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser is a very nice cleanser that works well with my oily skin. It  lathers easily, smells amazing to me (hello, childhood candy!) and it leaves my skin feeling refreshed and clean. Also, the willow bark extract is an added bonus that works well with my skin. This cleanser may not remove every last trace of your eye makeup, so just be prepared for some trial and error in that department. Other than that, I think this is a nice new addition to the world of drugstore facial cleansers.

Have you tried anything from the Neutrogena Naturals line yet? If so, what have you tried and how do you like it?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. the lip balm I got with the Target bag reminds me of Burt's Bee's, but that is a good thing! I really like it. It's moisturizing and not too waxy. Win for Neutrogena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Jane: Yay! So glad you like the lip balm! You know, it's been a while since I used BB lip balms, but I remember them being a touch waxy for me (maybe they've changed the formula since the last time I owned one?). The thing I really love about the Neutrogena one is that it has incredible staying power on my lips without being waxy. That's so rare for me to find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I LOVE Watermelon Now and Laters. I ate them all the time as a kid (and my teeth are paying for it now). I really like the ingredients in this cleanser and I think it would really work for me. Ugh, I just need to use up the cleanser that I have. Either that or pawn it off on my boyfriend. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going on my to try list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to try this too! =) the packaging reminds me of juice beauty's packaging. :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally use Cetaphil oil control cleanser, but I ran out so I decided to try this product. I've been using this cleanser for about a week or so and I agree with you on most everything about it. It lathers beautifully, more like you would expect a soap to lather but it absolutely does not dry your skin like soap. This cleanser is a win, and I will probably continue to use this instead of going back to Cetaphil.
    I don't smell now and laters in the fragrance at all, to me it smells more like plants or a greenhouse, which I guess since it's called a "natural" product would make sense.

    This is an awesome product G, thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lipstick league! How cute! Funny that the Lipstick League slogan sounds almost like the tagline on my blog as well, as I am "Pammy Blogs Beauty, saving the World one Lipgloss at a Time". Great minds think alike! :) Cute idea and I enjoyed reading this post! If you guys ever need another member, please think of me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny how it says everything is "naturally derived", but everything has to come from somewhere in nature. We can't make something out of nothing. Everything that we have was originally something natural that came from the earth until someone processed it into something people would buy. That being said, it's too bad this contains fragrance, I've noticed my skin is really sensitive to fragrance and in some cases it has made me cry because the burn hurts so bad. That would made me a bit gunshy to try this cleanser. I'm glad you don't have that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanted to love the Neutrogena cleanser as I was looking for a drugstore option when I ran out of my favorite MyChelle Fruit Enzyme Cleanser. Unfortunately I found the Neutrogena cleanser to be much too harsh for my normal to dry skin. It burned my eyes when I used it to use it to remove my eye makeup. I also found it wasn't nearly as effective at removing my makeup. Sadly no great find for me here - I'll be sticking with my old, tried-and-true MyChelle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have used Purity for years, but, want to change. My Mom got me some samples of Cetaphil that are such cute little bottles. Am starting that in a few days, when I empty the Purity, but, I may be trying this soon. From your review it sounds like it might work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had planned to pick this up before 3/26 cause Walgreens had a 25% Neutrogena sale, but I was in target and I got to look at this product. smh $8 for 6oz? Are you kidding me? I was super upset. I ended up using my $2 off coupon and getting another bottle of Clean & Clear Morning burst (I have oily skin as well and it works WONDERS). I really wanted to try this line out and was upset that the bottle was soo small and the price so high. :sighs:

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig