Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: New Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm

When I first showed you the new Neutrogena Naturals line back in January, I was immediately intrigued by, of course, the lip balm. I'm delighted to report that I recently received a few items from this line for review so, in addition to this lip balm review, I will also be reviewing the cleanser and the scrub in the very near future.

But today, let's take a closer look at this balm:

Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm (around $3, 0.15 oz)

Being a lip balm fanatic, when a balm comes in packaging like this, I'm always so curious as to what the actual tube looks like. If you've been curious too, here you go:


I like the minimalist packaging quite a bit, and I think it works well for both men and women equally. As you can see above, this product contains natural ingredients, but it is not vegan (there is beeswax in the formula).

So the big question is, do the natural ingredients come together to make this a balm that truly helps dry lips? Well, at first I was a tiny bit skeptical because I noticed that, upon initial application, the stick itself has a firm consistency. It wasn't difficult to apply, but it did take a little bit of pressure to get going. I was worried that this would equate to a waxy balm, but I am VERY pleased to confirm that the consistency is NOT waxy in the slightest. Once the balm reacts to the warmth of my skin, it feels quite smooth on my lips, and the texture lies somewhere between creamy and slick. I really enjoy how this feels on my lips because it's not greasy or oily, yet it is smooth and not waxy.

I find the staying power to be excellent, and I can get about six hours of wear throughout the day before I feel the need to reapply. The fragrance is a very soft mint that isn't strong or overpowering. The flavor is minty as well, but again, it's subtle and it fades rather quickly. A few minutes after application, it actually feels like I'm wearing a flavorless and unscented lip balm.

As for moisturization, I find this balm has helped my dry, chapped lips over the last few weeks. I wouldn't call it heavy-duty, so you may require something medicated if your lips are severely chapped. But for run-of-the-mill dryness, which is what I have right now, I think it's a nice choice for nighttime application. I've been using it at night quite a bit and my lips feel smooth and hydrated the next morning.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're in the market for a new lip balm that has a very subtle fragrance and flavor, sleek, minimalist packaging and natural ingredients, I definitely think you might want to consider Neutrogena Naturals Lip Balm. I think the men in your life might enjoy this very much, especially since it has incredible staying-power. If the men in your life are anything like Mr. G, then they tend to put on lip balm once during the day and that's it. With this balm, once might very well be enough to get them, or you, through the day with no problems. If you've clipped any of the $1 Neutrogena Naturals coupons that have been in the Sunday papers lately, you might want to use your coupon on this one--I think it's a nice addition to the lip balm scene for those who prefer an understated balm as opposed to one that's packed with big flavor and fragrance.

Have you tried anything from the new Neutrogena Naturals line yet? Any favorites? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. thanks! i saw this awhile ago and was wondering if it was any good. i think it was like 5/6 bucks here, thats why i didnt get it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't tried any neutrogena lip balms lately, but i do know a truly amazing one - Chopsaver. i know it's weird since it's not drugstore. you can get it at music stores (it was originally made for wind players). it's not too expensive, but it varies depending on the store. i've loved it for 4 years. i always have to come back to it, nothing works better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me how this balm compares to Burt's Bees original balm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks G! I think I will pick this up. Between the manufacturer's coupon for $1 off and the Target coupon for $1 off, I think I can pick these up pretty inexpensively. But I didn't want to get them if they were terrible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been wondering about Neutrogena Naturals line for awhile now ever since I saw the display at Walmart. I've been using Yes To Carrots Pomegranate Lip Butter. So good! http://bit.ly/hnUdZw

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am OBSESSED with lip balm and pretty much always have been. It is my longest running beauty obsession. You never steer me wrong G, so i will definitely will have to try this. My favorite lip balms are creamy and buttery, not waxy or oily. When I read about the beeswax I was a little worried about it being too waxy, but you assuaged my fears. Go G!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hazel: I believe this is $2.99 at Target, if that helps! :)

    Laura: Thanks for the rec!

    bluecollarsophisticate: It's been a while since I used BB, but I believe that's more of a waxy balm, whereas this is a bit more slick and creamy. Hope that helps!

    Lindsay: Definitely not terrible--quite the opposite! The more I use it, the more I love it. The staying power is truly incredible for me. I hope you enjoy it too, and way to use those coupons! :)

    Charisse: I'd love to know what you think if you try it! And thanks for the rec!

    Jessi: Oh girl, now the pressure is on! lol! I really hope you love it as much as I do. I'm seriously impressed with the protective barrier it leaves on my lips, which lasts for so long! I'm loving it more and more by the day, so I really hope it works out for you, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a lip balm junkie, but I've had such terrible reactions to neutrogena products that it's actually on a sticker on my file at the dermatologist's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually never tried anything from them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NO problemo G! I did try this out after reading your review and I love it. You're right! It's not waxy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to try this!!
    I got this FREE in my makeup bag that I received from Target in the mail on Wednesday....

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig