Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, February 2, 2014

New to CVS Extra Bucks? Here's something you should know!

I get asked this question a lot, so here's something you might want to take note of if you're a CVS shopper:

If you are trying to get an Extra Bucks offer during a weekly sale and you're a few pennies UNDER the amount needed to qualify, it's important that you know that you can still get the Extra Bucks offer, as long as you follow a simple rule.

For example:
  • This week (2/2 - 2/8) CVS is issuing $5 in Extra Bucks when you make a L'Oreal eye, lip or nail purchase of $15 or more. 
  • So let's say you buy a L'Oreal lipstick for $8.99 and a L'Oreal nail polish for $4.99. Your total would be $14.98 before tax. 
  • Some of you may be thinking, "Crap, I need two cents more in order to get the $5 in Extra Bucks!" 
WRONG!

As long you're buying $14.70 worth of L'Oreal eye, lip or nail products before tax, you'll still get your $5 Extra Bucks.

CVS has a "98% purchase rule" which allows some wiggle-room with their Extra Bucks deals. So if an Extra Bucks offer states that you have to spend $10, that calculates to $9.80. If you have to spend $15, that calculates to $14.70, and so on.

Hope this helps!

PS: If you have more specific questions about how this rule applies when you're using coupons or rolling over Extra Bucks, check out this forum for some tips.
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Before I knew about that rule, I was spending WAY more than I needed to, just to get my EBs. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! This info will really help me.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl my CVS shopping life just changed with this awesome tip! ;)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CVS also allows "instant buck rollover" IOW you can take your bucks and immediately use them to buy another product, take those bucks (if you earned more) and buy something else, etc. You can save a lot of money by carefully planning out your purchase that way. Rite Aid does not, you have to wait a full day before spending them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've mentioned this many times here but I always appreciate reminders! :)

      Delete
    2. Does the use of EBs count towards the 15$ in purchases (or whatever the total needed is)??

      Delete
  5. Huh. I had no idea about this (and I am NOT new to EBs). Thanks SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's so great to know!...wish I would've known this sooner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I always get stuck buying the cheapest item in that brand to get there!! Thanks G!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Never knew this! I feel cheated! Such a great tip thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard that if the deal is a tiered deal such as "Spend $20 Get $5 Extra Bucks or Spend $30 Get $10 Extra Bucks" the 98% purchase rule no longer applies. I have never tried this so I cannot confirm with certainty but something to consider while shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I included a link to this exact topic in the "PS" in this blog post. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm not even new to extra bucks and I never knew this. I feel not smart lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I never knew this either and always spent over the amount I needed to in order to get the EB.
    Thank you so much for this tip!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was literally 3 pennies shy of $15 once (to get $5 ECB back) and it didn't come up on the receipt at the end of the transaction. I was so annoyed that I just returned everything and left. Now that I know this, I'm not sure why that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was tiered, spend $15 get $5 ECB, spend $30 get $10 ECB, then it won't print. the 98% rule doesn't work on tiered extra buck deals.That's the only thing I can think of.

      Delete
  13. OMG -- that is so nice to know -- and I wish all stores/companies did that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad to read this! Thank you for sharing, this tip will definitely keep me from spending more than I want to. Do you know if Rite Aid and Walgreens have similar policies for their reward systems?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I didn't know about the 98% rule! Lol I won't have to scrounge around for another item just to make the limit. Thanks G!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. You're a Super hero. How much I have sent over to make the exact amount or over! Thanks again for saving us from over spending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This isn't always true! I bought a $9.99 lipstick from CVS a while back (I think it was Maybelline I can't believe it was that expensive) while they were having a buy $10 get some extrabucks, but they wouldn't give me extrabucks! It could be that they changed the policy after though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always wondered this, this helps my addiction a lot! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a pharmacy employee at CVS and I didn't even know this was a thing ... maybe because people were purchasing P&G products and were two cents short and didn't get their EBs?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig