Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Return of the Sally Hansen Holiday Glam Packs

Before I begin, I want to thank several of you for taking the time to share pics and info about these with me. I actually wanted to feature several photos from various readers in this post, but THEN, I noticed something a bit unusual about this year's Holiday Glam Packs, so I decided it was easier to feature my own pics (this should become more clear as you continue reading). So thanks again to everyone who took time to share info with me about these!

Now, if you're new to the annual Sally Hansen Holiday Glam Packs, let me catch you up to speed. It all started with what I believe was the first Glam Pack for Holiday 2008. You can see Scrangie's post here to see what was featured in that Glam Pack. Obviously, the Glam Packs are a way for Sally Hansen to move older, discontinued or soon-to-be-discontinued product, and these sets are sold for a great price ($10), so everyone wins! But for a few years, the Glam Packs led to some disappointment, as the contents of the packs did not always match what was listed on the box.

HOWEVER, since 2011, the Glam Packs have vastly improved and, for the past few years, everything that was listed on the box was indeed inside the pack (to see the 2011 Glam Pack, scroll about halfway down this post). And THIS year's Glam Pack seems to be quite nice as well, with one tiny wrinkle (it's not really a wrinkle, but it's something you should be aware of):

Sally Hansen Holiday Glam Packs at Rite Aid 
(retail: $10 each)

If you look closely at the Glam Packs sold at Rite Aid, you'll see this:


Inside this Glam Pack, you'll get 3 Magnetic polishes, 1 nail file and 2 Salon Effects polish strips. This is an excellent value at just $10 (that's about how much one box of Salon Effects costs at most stores). However, you'll notice that something has been covered on the box above.

Over at Walgreens, this year's Glam Packs have purple packaging, but the contents are the same (with the same "mystery item" covered over:

Sally Hansen Holiday Glam Packs at Walgreens
(retail: $10 each)

But over at CVS, this year's Glam Packs actually contain that "mystery item":

Sally Hansen Holiday Glam Packs at CVS
(retail: $10 each)


It's a Colorfast Tint + Moisture Balm!


As I said at the beginning of this post, three magnetic polishes, two boxes of Salon Effects and a nail file in one Glam Pack is a great value at just $10. But it becomes an even better value if you can find the sets that also contain a Colorfast Tint + Moisture Balm (these retail for $4.99 individually and you can click here for my review). I love these chubby pencils and I really hope that their presence in the Glam Packs doesn't mean they're about to be discontinued. 

So if you want the Glam Pack that contains a Colorfast Balm, check CVS first. I obviously have no idea if all Rite Aid and Walgreens locations will be selling the Glam Pack that does not contain a Colorfast Balm, so the moral of this story is: Check the boxes carefully before you buy!

Have you seen the Sally Hansen Holiday 2013 Glam Packs in your area yet? Did the sets in your area contain a Colorfast Balm?
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. These are on sale for Black Friday at Rite Aid for $5.99 with a $3 +up reward! I opened a box and there are 3 full size polishes, two strips (white and tan zebra, and lace design in the one I opened) and a medium grit nail file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heads up- some of those lip pencils were on yellowtag at Walgreens! Certain shades. I'm hoping they're coming out with more maybe since it wasn't all of them?? I really like those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great information because I did see these at Walgreens and also noticed that something was covered on the box. I thought to myself that it seemed fishy. I think this kinda stinks. I agree that it's still a great deal at Walgreens for $10, but c'mon Sally Hansen, this seems kinda stingy! Bottom line, after seeing this post, I'll check CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just grabbed one at Walgreens and it is the purple box and the bonus is not covered and is in the box. It was 9.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After opening I can say that one set of the nail strips were just throw in the box package less. I got silver, slate and a purple magnetic nail color, nail file, lip balm stick and the two strip sets; both were cute and designs I'd use. I'm wondering why some from Walgreens don't have the lip balm.. I plan to get a few more as holiday gifts. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  5. I think those lip pencils might be getting discontinued, because a week or so ago, I bought one at Walgreens on clearance for $2.50, and when I was there again tonight, the entire display was empty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. It seems like they would just be putting stuff that's old or discontinued in these boxes. I read Scrangie's post and am scared to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here after seeing that! I saw these at CVS and don't recall seeing the lip pencil at all, and I like those and would have at least remembered it, if not have actually bought it. How strange but after hearing how horrible they were I won't risk it. Hard to believe SH even brought them back after all the bad press. Harder to believe they'd actually pull such a shady move in the first place!

      Delete
  7. Perhaps maybe the stores are responsible for packaging and of they are out of the balms this could be the reason they at covering it. Not sure but just a thought. Wags is notorious for covering up displays and such!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to several Walgreens today 2 had the teal box set you have in the pic without lip balm however one had a pink and purple box with the lip balm so not just cvs has the lip balm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these yesterday at Kmart and thanks to this post I saw that they were boxes that did not include the lip pencil/mysyery item.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got mine from Rite Aid last week. Pretty good deal but no "mystery gift". Plus, I feel like the colors are out of date or discontinued, Not cool.. Should've gone to CVS or just left it where it was. #slightlydisappointed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got one at Walgreens yesterday and mine actually had 2 lipbalms inside. Same color, mauve something or other

    ReplyDelete
  12. My purple box had no lip balm :( at least the 3 magnetic colors were all ones I didn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found all the magnetic nail polish colors at a Dollar Tree. I bought all the colors. I had wanted them before but not enough to pay the regular price.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig