Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, June 23, 2013

NYC Skyline Blue vs. NYC Raindrop

I found this post in my "drafts" file and completely forgot to publish it a while back! Well, better late than never, right? Since NYC released two new light blue polishes a while back, and you know I have a thing for light blue nail polishes, I thought I'd compare them for you so that you could see the differences for yourself. Take a look:

NYC Long Wearing Nail Enamel in Skyline Blue
(retail: $0.99, 0.45 oz)
NYC In A New York Color Minute Quick Dry Nail Polish in Raindrop
(retail: $1.99, 0.33 oz)

What you can't see in my first picture is that Skyline Blue contains fine silver shimmer:


Three coats of each polish, no top coat:

Pinky and middle finger: Skyline Blue
Ring and index finger: Raindrop

Skyline Blue is a warmer shade of blue with a bit of yellow to it, whereas Raindrop is a cooler shade of blue with no yellow to it at all. Also, Skyline Blue has that subtle shimmer, while Raindrop contains no shimmer.

Light blue cremes are generally not easy to work with, and neither of these polishes was a "dream" to apply. They both require some work and both go on streaky for the first and second coats. Also, both polishes don't really self-level all the way (which you can see in my swatches) so I would recommend a good, thick top coat if you wear either one, just to get a smoother finish. The dry time for both polishes was decent but not fantastic after three coats (the first and second coats did dry more quickly though).

I'd say I like them both equally, but my personal preference is Raindrop, because I think the slightly cooler shade of blue looks better on my particular skintone.

Do you own either of these new blues from NYC? What do you think of them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Thanks for this post , I was kind of keeping my eye on these. Since they're streaky I'll pass & stick with my blue L'Oreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raindrop is a gorgeous color, but I agree the application is a horror! It bubbles up on my nails like no other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blue nail polishes too and I'd buy raindrop without thinking twice. thanks for comparing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love light blues! Raindrop is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Skyline Blue.I haven't swatched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know another nail polish color similar to Skyline Blue that applies better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have them both, but haven't tried them ( too many polishes, I think). Now I will make a point of wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Raindrop on now. It was a thick, goopy nightmare, so the search for the perfect pale blue continues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you like these in comparison to Sinful Colors Cinderella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinderella has a pink shimmer, while Skyline Blue has a silver shimmer. They're about the same in quality, to me anyway. (and I don't have Raindrop)

      Delete
  10. I love the look of skyline blue, now if only I can find it in Canada or somewhere online

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wearing Skyline Blue right now, and love it. It's a lovely soft blue, with the faintest whispery hint of silver shimmer - not obvious, just "barely there" - it captures the light nicely, and does not require a top coat for shine. I only applied two coats, and I'm happy with the result. It was only a little bit streaky for the first coat, not the second, and the second fully covered the top coat nicely. For the person who said their polish bubbles, be sure to never shake your polish. I don't even roll it before I use it, unless it was an old polish, in which case you should probably just toss it. Minimal movement of the bottle should prevent any bubbles. I love this polish, and will wear it often. Got it super-cheap, $1.99 in-store at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig