Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: Rite Aid Renewal Duo-Fiber Blending Brush

For about $8, this brush from Rite Aid has officially become my go-to brush for blush and highlighter application. I am in love with it, and here's why...

Rite Aid Renewal Duo-Fiber Blending Brush
(about $8 at Rite Aid)

Keep reading for my full review...


The Rite Aid Renewal Duo-Fiber Blending Brush is said to a dupe for the MAC 188 (click here to see how the MAC 188 compares to the MAC 187). Since I don't own the MAC 188 I can't say for sure how close of a dupe it is, but looking at photos, the size, at least, looks pretty similar.


This is a synthetic brush.



 

 

 Here's how it compares to the only other duo-fiber brush I own, the EcoTools Alicia Silverstone Finishing Brush:




The Rite Aid brush is not as dense as the EcoTools brush, so I would not recommend it for foundation or face powder application. For me, it's a little too narrow, loose and floppy for applying makeup all over the face, and since the bristles are not terribly dense, it doesn't do as good of a job at blending foundation or face powder as the EcoTools brush.

But for blush or highlighter? Yes! I love this brush for targeted application. It's super easy to apply powder and cream blushes--just dab your brush directly onto your blush or highlighter and you can dot this brush onto your cheeks for flawless application. It's also easy to blend blush with this brush (say that five times fast). This brush is particularly handy if you tend to be heavy-handed with your blushes and highlighters. It delivers softer pigmentation, but you can definitely build if you're not happy the first time. Seriously, it gives my blushes an air-brushed quality and I'm afraid my traditional blush brushes haven't gotten any love since I purchased this brush over a month ago.

The bristles are very soft and after washing this brush several times, I've experience no shedding whatsoever. Speaking of washing, because this brush isn't terribly dense, it dries in a jiffy. Bonus!

I haven't been disappointed with any of the Rite Aid Renewal brushes I've purchased since they hit store shelves a few years ago. Highly recommend!

Unfortunately, you can only buy Rite Aid Renewal Brushes in-store (as of the last time I checked, they weren't available through the Rite Aid website but I really hope that changes soon, for those of you who don't live near a Rite Aid).

Do you own any Rite Aid Renewal brushes? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

26 comments

  1. ELF has recently released a similar one that I have heard a lot of good reviews for. I use two ecotools blush brushes for blush and highlighter. the rounded one for blush and the pointed one for highlighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing that the elf one is similar to this one...not so good for face products but great for blushes and highlighters.

      Delete
    2. I just used my new ELF one yesterday for foundation. It was too scratchy. I will try it for blush next.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love my Rite Aid Renewal eye shadow brushes! I bought one about a year ago and use it everyday for my paint pots; I loved it so much, I bought another one but somehow it's slightly different. It's still wonderful, but the bristles are a little longer, either way, I'm totally sold on these brushes, affordable, don't shed and are soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you've been enjoying them. :)

      Delete
  3. This is exactly why I love e.l.f.'s Duo Fibre brush for blush, but not for foundation. It, too, is very "floppy".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris! I've heard the same thing about the elf...

      Delete
  4. I love rite aids eyeshadow brush! I bought it about a month ago and it's great! For less than $4 I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post! I've been wanting a duo fiber brush like this for a while for my highlighter and cream blushes. Gotta make my way to Rite Aid! :) <3

    toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I hope it works for you too, sweetie!

      Delete
  6. I purchased the Rite Aid Renewal powder brush when I was in Lake Tahoe recently and it may be my favorite brush I own. I'm kicking myself for not getting more as there are no Rite Aids anywhere near where I live. Let's hope they start selling them on their site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the powder brush a few weeks ago. I love it! Very soft and no shedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh G shame on you! LOL! Your helping me fuel my fire for more makeup brushes! Yesterday, I just purchased the Eco Tools Bronzer brush and last week I purchased a second real techniques stippling brush which I love! Now I want this! Do you own the Eco Tools bronzing brush and if so what do you think about it? I haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! :) I don't have the ecotools bronzer brush. Sorry honey! :(

      Delete
  9. I have the Ecotools AS finishing brush too. I use it for my foundation application, even tho the bristles are a bit long for my liking. But it's the best brush out of my current collection. x3 And I have a 2nd one I use for blush~

    I've been wanting another brush for foundation, but now I see this RA one is too small/narrow/floppy for that. I like the size of it for blush application though.

    Have you tried the $3 e.l.f. Studio Stipple Brush? I don't know if it's the same size as this one, but I heard it was good for cream blushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this ecotools brush for foundation too. And I haven't tried the elf one but I've heard it's very similar to the rite aid brush. :)

      Delete
  10. I bought this about 2-3 weeks ago and tried using with Revlon's whipped creme make up and found out the hard way that it packs on too much on the face. Clean fingers application works best. But this brush is best when blending out the Maybelline Bouncy Blush, I've yet to try it on the WnW powder blushes.

    G - I have Rite Aid Wellness reward card, but there was no 10% off on these rite-aid brand items...I think I had to have a certain amount of purchase points before I get any discount from Rite Aid products. I bought mine for $7.99 plus tax, it's still considerably less when compared to Sonia Kashuk's brush of similar style that costs around $10.99 or 12.99 at Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum...maybe they changed the policy? It's been so long since I've been anything but a silver or gold member that it's hard for me to know. Did you try asking a cashier or reading the membership terms on the website? I know at one point you got 10% off RA brands just for signing up, but if you didn't get that, and you're not at least at the silver level, things might have changed?

      Delete
  11. I don't know much about these brushes but for close to the same price on amazon, I can order real techniques brushes and they are so lovely! I really recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reviewed some real techniques brushes here on the blog, and I really love them as well. I also like the rite aid brushes and the convenience of them...going to the drugstore is always easiest for me, rather than ordering online or going to ulta for RT brushes. There's room in my collection for both brands. :)

      Delete
  12. I really like the Rite Aid brushes! The dual fiber and flat push liner brushes are two of my go-to brushes. I like that they are silky soft synthetics with perfectly weighted handles. I only have one MAC brush, but I MUCH prefer the Rite Aid brushes. What do you like to use for eye shadow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them too! The one RA brush that I really, really love for eyeshadow is the one I reviewed a year or two ago: the crease brush. It's unlike any other drugstore brush I've ever used for the crease, because the bristles are very, very short and dense. It enables you to get really down deep in your crease. Love it! :)

      Delete
  13. The duo-fiber brushes just aren't ever going to be as dense as, say, the EcoTools bronzer brush or the Urban Decay Optical blurring brush. They need to be used to apply liquid products in a stippling, up-and-down motion. I prefer the Sonia Kashuk duo fiber brushes for applying liquid foundation in general. :)

    Also, a teeny tiny nitpick on marleting: The EcoTools finishing brush isn't actually a duo-fiber brush, as all the bristles are one material. (One of the hallmarks of EcoTools, and it's a darn fine brush anyhow- don't think me saying this is saying it's a bad brush! They're first on my list of brushes for people who have natural bristle brush issues or concerns.) The Real Techniques "stippling brush" is also an all-nylon version. They're probably calling them stippling brushes because of the two different bristle lengths.

    True duo-fiber brushes have natural and nylon bristles, and work they way they do because of the two fibers' different properties- nylon spreads things on without absorbing, and natural bristle smoothes and buffs them into the skin. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig