Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Milani Instant Eye Makeup Remover

A while back, I was sent the new Milani Instant Eye Makeup Remover (available online only), and I've been using it for several weeks straight to get a feel for how it works with different mascaras and liners. Now that I'm done testing it out, I'd love to share my thoughts with you.

 Milani Instant Eye Makeup Remover
(retail: $5.99, 4.0 oz)

Designed to remove long-wear products and boasting an impressive ingredients list (silicone, oil, fragrance and paraben free), this remover comes in a pretty, aqua-tinted bottle with a standard opening:

 

From the Milani website:

  • Instantly removes long wearing & waterproof eye makeup without any tugging or pulling. Dual-phase liquid activates when shaken. Silicone, oil and fragrance free formula. Leaves no oily residue.
  • Perfect for Milani Infinite Liquid Liner, Liquid Eye Liquid-like Eyeliner Pencil, Eye Tech Extreme Liquid Liner, Crystal Eyez Sparkling Eyeshadow, Shadow Eyez 12HR Wear Eyeshadow Pencil, Brow Tint Pen and all Milani Mascaras.
  • Ingredients:
  • Isohexadecane, Water (Aqua),  Sorbitol,  Panthenol,  Sodium Chloride,  Polyaminopropyl Biguanide,  Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,  Potassium Phosphate,  Allantoin,  Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2,  Disodium EDTA
  • Made in CANADA

Since this is a dual-phase remover, the liquid is separated in the bottle and must be shaken before use.

Unshaken:


 Shaken:



What I love:

This product does exactly what it says it will do. I've used this remover with a variety of different hard-to-remove waterproof and non waterproof mascaras and eyeliners, and it works like a champ with all of them. My standard technique with any remover is to soak a cotton pad with product and then hold the pad up to my closed eye for about 30 seconds, giving the product enough time to "loosen" up my eye makeup. When I do this with the Milani remover, I can literally remove all of my eye makeup with one swipe of the cotton pad  Obviously there's still going to be a little residue left behind on the skin after the first swipe, but I can turn my cotton pad over to "clean up" the residue and I'm pretty much done with one full eye after using just one cotton pad. That's kind of a miracle since it usually takes me two (or three) cotton pads per eye with my other remover (note: this review is based on removing makeup on a regular makeup day--if I'm wearing heavy eye makeup I require two cotton pads for full removal).  I also love that I don't get cloudy vision after using this product, nor do my eyes sting or feel irritated.

What I don't love:

There is a slightly oily residue left behind on my skin after use. It's not heavy, but I can feel it with my fingers after I've removed my makeup, so definitely follow the instructions per the bottle and rinse your face with cold water after use. When I use just cold water (no cleanser) to remove any lingering residue, my skin feels very smooth and hydrated after I rinse, so that's a nice little bonus. Honestly, the only other thing I don't like about this product is that you can't purchase it in stores. For now, you must purchase it via the Milani website, but I really hope that changes in the future. It would be wonderful to be able to just hop in the car and buy this whenever I'm running low.

FINAL VERDICT: I have reached for no other remover since I started using the Milani Instant Eye Makeup Remover. It's fast, effective, and removes even my toughest liners and mascaras with ease. My eye area never feels dry or tight after using this product, but I do detect a slight oily residue after use. So be sure to follow the instructions and rinse your skin with cool water after you use this product, just to remove any lingering residue. Other than that, this eye makeup remover is darned near perfect. No fragrance, no foggy vision, no stinging...what more can you ask for? Oh, and it's under $6 for a 4.0 oz bottle. Honestly, the only drawback to this product is that you must purchase it online, but if you're looking for an effective eye makeup remover, it might be worth it. Plus, a 4-oz bottle of eyemakeup remover usually lasts me months, so if you're like me, you won't need to reorder for a while.

Have you tried the new Milani Instant Eye Makeup Remover yet? Do you think it's worth considering, or do you already have an eye makeup remover that works for you?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. how does this compare to other drugstore eye makeup removers (neutrogena, almay, sonia kashuk)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could tell you, but other than the Simple remover I reviewed a while back, the only remover i've been using for years now is the CVS brand oil free remover.

      I can tell you that it's much more effective than the Simple one, and about two steps up from the CVS one. The CVS one doesn't leave as much residue behind, but I need 2-3 cotton pads per eye when I use that one, vs. 1 cotton pad for the Milani.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. This is something I would love to try if it ever becomes available in stores. My only experience using eye makeup remover was something I tried ONCE when I was a teen, and it was awful! It burned and left my eyes feeling like they were covered in oil. I can't remember the brand, but it has always turned me off to removers. I'm glad to hear things have changed! Right now I use Neutrogena makeup remover wipes in the blue packaging, and I love them. My face feels incredibly clean after use, but I would like to try something that didn't require so much rubbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try L'Oreal eye makeup remover in the green bottle!! It's kind of hard to find but make sure it's NOT the oil-free/clean artiste one. I think I found it in Walgreens either in the makeup section or skin care! Its a little bit oily but makes your lashes super luscious

      Delete
  3. oh wow, they must bring this to stores. if u give it a good review, i want to purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looks s much like the Mary Kay one, at least from here.
    Have you every used the Mk one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using the Neutrogena eye make-up remover (oil free) and it looks very similar to the Milani one. You need to shake it to mix it up, then I use a cotton pad to wipe it away off of my eyes. So far, I love it... it does a very effective job of removing all of my eye make-up. The ingredients are: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Poloxamer 182, Allantoin, Tripotassium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cucumber (Cucumis Sativus) Fruit Extract, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate. It's about $7 for 5.5 oz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like Lumene Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover ($6.79 each at CVS); I bought some last week, but haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping it works as well as this Milani product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been using Lumene dual remover for years. Great for crazy makeup and lashes. Never bothers my contacts and I never have to wash it off. Bonus- controlled top makes it easier to shake without the cover or dispense on a qtip for precise cleanups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use an eye makeup remover that has to be shaken before use. It sounds like we both have had the same results, except yours is less expensive. I do not forsee myself purchasing it from the website though. If it is introduced in-store, I would switch brands based on your review. I missed your Simple Makeup Remover review, but I am glad I passed on it when it was on sale at CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish they would sell it through the stores, also. I need a new eye makeup remover, but I like the chance to be able to return it to a bricks and mortar store, rather than having to return via mail if it doesn't work for me. I always think twice before ordering anything online unless it's something I am sure about or have previously used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will def need to try this one out. I started using the Neutragena because of alot of hype and normally I am not one to follow hypes per say. All in all I never reach for the Neutragena..I detest it, just awful. JMO. Keeping fingers crossed for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have this and I love it!! It works better (in my opinion) than the clinique one. I usually detest makeup removers that come in the liquid form, only because I swore that using the wipes were more efficient, and most of them left behind eyeliner or mascara residue, but this one removes everything and is very gently on my eye area. I would notice that when I use the wipes on my eye, I did alot of rubbing and pulling at the eye area which would cause my area to get red, irritated and even burn a little bit, but with this milani one, I just soak a cotton pad, place it on my eye and let it rest there for a minute, do a couple sweeping motions back and forth and thats it. Even my Milani liquifeye removes with ease, which is probably one of the most budge proof, smudge proof, hard to remove makeup items I own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I MUST have this! I hope they start selling it in stores. And NOT cvs! (We dont have any in our area lol) but it looks like it is just what i have needed and wanted im tired of the ones i currently use! >.< lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. How does the Milani compare with higher end brands like Lancome Bifacil or Clinique Take the Day Off? I remember that the Lumene stung my eyelids a bit. I'm not crazy about the L'Oreal in green either; it's all right but seems to lose effectiveness about 2/3 way down the bottle. I used to love the Neutrogena towelettes but lately they've been stinging my eyelids too so I've been trying to use a homemade formula with olive oil, water & a few drops of gentle face cleanser (non-teary). But the homemade stuff is too greasy and it looks disgusting. Ugh, please don't tell me my only choice is to pay through the nose for the Lancome or Clinique. I am not trying a $6 makeup remover to pay another $6 for shipping "and handling."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you know if this was discontinued? I can only find it at Cherry Culture. It's not even on Milani's site anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig