Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 20, 2012

New series: Reader Spotlight


In my ongoing efforts to give back to you, the Nouveau Cheap readers, for making this little community such a great resource for all of us, I've created a new series where I will be interviewing longtime readers. Not only do I want to thank longtime readers for their continued support, but I also think this will be a nice way for all of us to get know each other a bit better!

So for the first edition of Reader Spotlight, I interviewed longtime reader Donna. If you've been reading the comments on this blog for a while, you know that Donna is an invaluable resource when it comes to insights and information, and the tone of her fun, conversational comments always leave me feeling like I'm chatting with a real-life girlfriend over coffee. I love Donna, and I'm delighted to share her interview with you today:

Q. How long have you been reading Nouveau Cheap?

I've been a reader for two years now. Nouveau Cheap is my favorite blog, and even when I wander off because of other obligations and interests, I always come back, and then I have to read everything I missed!


Q. Do you remember how you initially found this blog?

Yes, I had been a stay at home mom for some years, and didn't use much makeup. So when I started working again, I had to start my collection from square one. That is so difficult to do on a budget, because you don't even want to waste a single dollar on a product that doesn't work. I did a Google search for budget makeup and landed at Nouveau Cheap. Your blog was a Godsend! We have similar skin and hair types, so your reviews were incredibly useful for me. And to top it all off, your blog would let me know when and where to get the best deals for the products on my wishlist.

Q. Have you ever purchased a drugstore product because of a review on this blog? If so, how did it work for you?

I could spend hours listing the products that I have bought because of your reviews and sales information! I have also avoided products when they didn't work for you. The only product that "didn't work for me", is your holy grail foundation, the Physicians Formula powder foundation. I put that in quotations only because it may actually work for me, but I feel naked when I use a powder, I am so used to a liquid or cream foundation. So instead I use the PF powder to set my foundation and appreciate the extra SPF and coverage. What I am using and is working out wonderfully is the Covergirl/Olay Tone Rehab foundation, which I bought because of your review. So it's fantastic that you continue to review products, even after you have found your holy grail, so that there are alternatives for your readers.


Q. Name your top five drugstore beauty brands.

Wet n Wild has to top the list! So many great products at a price that can't be beat. I also love all things Revlon and L'Oreal. Milani has to be mentioned since they love duping high end products but at a much more reasonable price, and their blushes are to die for. And for nails, Sally Hansen. I just wish that SH would bring back some of their best loved polishes, like the Magicals, Nail Prisms, and Lacquer Shines. I also didn't find out that many of the products in the Carmindy makeup line are excellent until it was too late. I bought them on clearance. I wish SH had done a better job marketing that line and offering sales and special deals to keep competitive with the many other cosmetic companies that do.


Q. What are some of your Holy Grail drugstore beauty products?


I don't think I have any. I'm too fickle and love to try the next thing that comes around! In fact, I plan on 'cheating on' Tone Rehab when it runs out. I really want to try the Natureluxe foundation since you also gave it high marks. There are certain products that are favorites though, I already mentioned Milani for blushes, those also were purchased after your reviews, by the way.  I adore the Revlon lip butters and the L'Oreal infallible eyeshadows. My favorite mascara is Prestige My Biggest Lashes and I love Maybelline's cream eyeliners.

Q. What's your go-to lip color shade?

Medium anything! lol What I mean is that I look like a corpse when I wear very light shades, and to my eye, dark or super bright colors look odd on me. So while I love to experiment with rosy colors, pinks, reds, plum, coral, anything really, I try to avoid the extremes of pale, neon brights, or dark.

Q. Approximately how many bottles of nail polish do you own?


Oh how embarrassing! At last count, there were over 300 bottles. I haven't counted in nearly a year, so I must have more than 400 by now. This is the one product I go crazy over and it's also one of the most inexpensive makeup products so it's easier to justify in my mind. lol

Q. What was your most recent drugstore beauty purchase?

I bought a L'Oreal infallible eyeshadow in Bottomless Java and a color caresse in Silky Java at CVS today. I must have coffee on my mind!


Q. What are some drugstore beauty products that haven't worked for you (and why)?

The first thing I thought of is Maybelline Great Lash mascara, it's horrendous, and gives me raccoon eyes in about an hour. I have oily eyelids, so there are a lot of mascaras that do this to me, but that one was the worst. I also should avoid mousse or cream foundations. I thought my skin could handle it in the winter when it's drier, but no, I need oil control all year around. I do not like any of the Organix shampoos and conditioners I have tried. They leave my hair dry as straw and totally unmanageable.


Q. If you could create a limited edition drugstore beauty collection, what would it contain?

Nail polishes! I would want a collection of holographic, multichrome, flakies, glass fleck, and glitter polishes in wild shades. No prim and proper pink cremes!

 Q. Would you like to share a picture with us (of you, your makeup stash, a pet, etc.)?


 I am enclosing one of my favorite pictures, it is of me with my husband when we got engaged. We have now been married for 22 years, so it's an old one. My husband is just so adorable in this picture! He still is, most of the time... I also have two sons, and a cat, and we live in New Hampshire.

Thanks so much, Donna, for taking the time to answer these questions and for sharing a bit about yourself. As always, your responses were a joy to read, and I'm so thrilled to have you as part of this community.

Longtime readers: get your answers to the above questions ready, because I'll be coming for you in the weeks and months to come!
SHARE:

55 comments

  1. What a fun idea, G! Donna, I'm with you on the nail polish collection...flakies and holos sound amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Meg!! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  2. I like this interview and the idea of this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sweetie! I'm so glad you do! xo

      Delete
  3. This is a nice idea and I enjoyed the interview. Of course that's partly because my nail polish stash is the same size :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo! This is a nice series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great new series add to the blog! Love it... I always love hearing about other women's REAL lives in other parts of the country! Thank you for sharing Donna! And thanks, G, for a great add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you are so welcome! Thank YOU!! xo

      Delete
  6. Great idea! I love getting to "know" the people who share similar interests (passions!) with me. I hope your dream LE polish collection comes true, I think all of us would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Lol! Thank you, sweetie! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it, since you know i'm coming for you too! Lol!

      Delete
  8. This is pretty awesome! Now we can put a face to some really great contributors of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaw, what a very sweet thing to say! xoxo

      Delete
  9. I love this idea. I love Donna's answers to these questions too--especially the "medium anything" in regards to lipstick. I feel the same-way! Thanks for sharing, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I totally agree...mediums always look way better on my too. :)

      Delete
  10. What an absolutely adorable picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! The best way to find out about new products is word of mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! This blog would literally be nothing without all of you, and i'm grateful every single day for your input. :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for letting me be the first interview. It was fun because I get to think about makeup, beauty products, and especially nail polish. These are my favorite things to think about! lol I can't wait to see what the rest of you answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure is all mine, dear Donna! xo

      Delete
  13. This idea is so cool, G!!! Donna sounds like a wonderful lady and friend, and I'm glad she let us 'in' on her beauty life! It's so nice to be able to put name and 'face' together and get to know each other a bit more. Please do some more of these soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it!! And,I got your email...will be writing you back soon. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you---looking forward to it! =)

      Delete
  14. What a fun read! Donna, I agree with you about going crazy on the nail polish. My collection just keeps growing and I still want more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet idea, G! Loved the interview. It's so nice to feel like part of a community that "gets it" about loving makeup (and saving money)! Rock on, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love that each and every one of us ”get it”!! Btw, expect an email from me. ;)

      Delete
  16. this is such a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great series! I look forward to hearing about people's experiences with your reviews and affordable beauty products. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, and i'm thrilled that you enjoy it!! :)

      Delete
  18. G., just when i think your blog cant get anymore awesome, you bust out with something like this! what a wonderful way to give back to readers & help us get to know more about each other! and Donna, no need to be embarassed about the nail polish stash. my collection is 1000 + bottles strong & i just bought 6 new bottles today (found the Revlon Fizz scented polishes at a local job lot store so i snatched 'em up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh honey, you are too kind!! Thank you so much for that. xo

      And yeah...this is one place where there's noooo need to feel embarrassed about a polish collection! Lol!

      Delete
  19. What a great idea for a series! I look forward to getting to know all your readers bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for that, honey! xo

      Delete
  20. This is such a great idea - I can't wait to hear from you other long time readers. I've only been reading for maybe six months but I feel like you've built such a great community. This is another great way for us to get to know each other and build respect and relationships. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow wow wow! That is such an incredibly sweet thing to say! Thank you SO much for that. You got me all choked up over here! Lol! xo

      Delete
  21. What a wonderful idea! I look forward to reading more in this series! I like hearing how others fared with products that you've reviewed. Donna - thank you for giving us a peek into your beauty routine, likes & dislikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hun! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! xo

      Delete
  22. This is so nice! I love putting a face to a name , and donnas picture is absolutely darling! It's really nice to make your readers feel *even more special* than you already do!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel like I'm not being original at this point, but I simply must repeat a few ideas that have already been shared. These thoughts were honestly running through my mind before I saw what has been posted thus far.

    To G.: This is such a great idea, and I hope you keep it up for as long as you want to. One of the qualities that makes your blog a standout is the way you SINCERELY connect with your readers. This place really manages to bring out the best in people, and I really appreciate that. I am not surprised you came up with this idea; it fits you and your blog to a "T".

    To Donna: How cool is your interview? I agree with someone up-thread who said it is interesting to hear about the lives and hobbies of REAL women. And I love, love, love that picture. I am a total Eighties fanatic. You two look like you could have walked right out of the pages of one of my high school yearbooks! I learned to sew from a wonderfully old skool Home Ec. teacher around this time, so I am having so much fun noting all the details of that blouse that make it so perfect for the Eighties. You both look young, vibrant, happy, and in love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun idea for a column! I haven't been commenting recently because the great firewall of China doesn't allow me to but I'm back in the U.S. for a while (and so of course making the rounds to CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens to pick up all the stuff I made a list of from your recommendations since the last time I was back) so I thought I'd drop in just to give you some comment love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post I am going to love getting to know all of you!!!!! With my polish collection at about 100, I don't feel bad abiut having so much. I figured I was the only regular person to have this amount and everyone else probably are nail professionals! Can't wait to read more! You rock G. and Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love learning more about the folks I 'know' around the beauty blog 'hood! Donna, that photo is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like this alot. Exposes me to some great options :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig