Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: Sebamed Hand & Nail Balm and Moisturizing Body Lotion

Sebamed is a line of skincare products that you can now find at CVS (in fact, there's a printable coupon for $3 off 2 Sebamed products on Red Plum right now, which is only redeemable at CVS). I was recently offered the opportunity to try some products from this brand, so now that I've been using them for a few weeks, I'd like to share with you my thoughts.

The two products I'll be covering in this review, Sebamed Hand & Nail Balm and Moisturizing Body Lotion, were recently featured on the TV show The Doctors as a suggestion for people who suffer from dry, itchy skin (you can view the segment here).

Sebamed Hand & Body Nail Balm
(retail: $12.99, 2.6 oz)




Sebamed products are made in Germany and developed by dermatologists. They are "nearly 100%" biodegradable, paraben-free and cruelty-free. These products have a pH level of 5.5 which, according to the label, is the same pH as healthy skin.


As you would expect from a "serious" skincare brand, Sebamed products are no-frills when it comes to packaging and design. Lots of white space and clean, functional packaging:


The Hand & Nail Balm comes with a flip-top lid and the lotion itself has a thin consistency (similar to the body lotion, which I'll show you in a second).


The first thing that struck me about this product was the fragrance. I LOVE it. To me, it's reminiscent of old-school bar soap (Camay, perhaps?). The fragrance of this product really makes me think of women's bar soaps of yester-year; a clean floral scent with a lovely creaminess to it. It's not extremely strong, but the scent does linger on the skin for an hour or so.

As for the product itself, I'm a little bit on the fence. I've been using it every morning and night on my hands and nails, but since I tend to go for thicker, richer hand creams, I find this a bit too thin for my needs. I do like the way it quickly absorbs and does not leave any type of sticky or greasy residue behind, however I'm just not sure it's giving my hands (especially my cuticles) the instant moisturization that I crave. Perhaps if I continue using it for a few more weeks I might see a gradual improvement to my skin, but I really like the instant gratification of thicker hand creams. However, if you prefer your hand creams lighter and without any greasy or sticky residue, this might be a nice option for you.

So let's move on to my favorite product of the two I'm featuring today:

Sebamed Moisturizing Body Lotion for Sensitive Skin
(retail: $14.95, 13.5 oz)


Just like the Hand & Nail Balm, this product has a pH of 5.5. It is made in Germany, paraben-free and cruelty-free. And it also has the same type of clean, streamlined packaging. In fact, I don't know what it is about this bottle, but I'm kind of obsessed with it. It has an oval shape to it and the plastic itself has a smooth, almost matte texture to it. I can't really describe it, but I just love the way this bottle feels in my hands whenever I pick it up.


Packaging aside, I love this lotion for four reasons:

Number one: the fragrance. It's exactly the same as the Hand & Nail Balm and I find it just delightful. It's a creamy floral that reminds me of vintage bar soap. 

Number two: I love the way this product feels on my skin. It's got a wonderful, thin-but-not-too-thin consistency that works well for use on the body. You can spread it across the skin on your arms and legs with ease, and it absorbs quickly without leaving a heavy coating or residue behind.

Number three: even though it's a "light" lotion, it works beautifully to keep my skin hydrated throughout the day. Granted, I need a more intense product for problematic areas, but for an overall lotion for use on the body, I LOVE this stuff. About five minutes after I apply this product, I don't feel "lotion" on my skin; my skin just feels so soft. We're talking baby's-booty-soft. I mean, really soft. A lotion that can make my skin feel incredibly soft without leaving any "lotion" feeling behind? Yes, please!

Number four: I think that the consistency of this product is similar to the consistency of the Hand & Nail Balm, but it's a tiny bit thicker and I actually prefer it for use on my hands. So it's a multi-tasker!

Sebamed Moisturizing Body Lotion on the back of my hand (BEFORE):


AFTER:


FINAL VERDICT: If you're the type of person who prefers a light-feeling daily body lotion, and you're also draw to creamy floral scents, I think you might enjoy Sebamed Moisturizing Body Lotion for Sensitive Skin.  Even though it feels light on the skin, this lotion makes my skin feel incredibly soft without leaving any type of residue behind. Sebemed Hand & Nail Balm has a thin, lotion-like consistency to it and, like the body lotion, it quickly absorbs into the skin. For me personally, it wasn't thick or rich enough for my chronically dry hands, but if you're looking for something light that won't leave any type of residue behind, this could be a good match for you. I realize that the price point on Sebemed products might be a bit high for Nouveau Cheap readers, but the good news is that, since it's at CVS, it will eventually go on sale, and you can always use this coupon and/or Extra Bucks toward a purchase if you'd like to try some products from this brand.

Sebamed makes a wide variety of skincare products including body care, facial care and baby care. You can view the entire range on the Sebamed site here.

Have you spotted Sebamed at your local CVS yet?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome
of product reviews.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Great review, I'll definitely pick it up! I hate greasy, thick lotions but have very dry hands! Yours look very smooth from the before and after photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you think if you try it! :)

      Delete
  2. I definitely need this. I hand wash my dishes which leaves me with dry and cracked cuticles no matter how much lotion I rub in. Plus, I love light floral smells :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, if you like light floral scents, I think you might fall in love with this one. I'm seriously addicted to it. :)

      Delete
  3. 25% off at walgreens right now.
    http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Nso=1&Ntt=Sebamed&y=0&Ns=Omniture_Relevance&x=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks SO much for the great tip!! :)

      Delete
  4. I just purchased the body lotion on your rec. here, and I love love love it! It smells fantastic, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm SO glad it's working for you, and that you love the scent too. :) Thanks so much for letting me know. xo

      Delete
  5. Thanks for mentioning that Sebamed products were on sale at CVS! I had a $3.00 off coupon on one product from the manufacturer and I had been very doubtful about buying anything so expensive from a brand I hardly knew anything about. I've heard raving reviews on their body lotion, so I ended up getting two bottles with the coupon and the B1G1 sale. I feel like this was steal! It cost me around $10.00 for both and saved me $16.00. I'm really excited to try the lotion.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig