Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, February 6, 2012

Fun with China Glaze Electropop!

Last month I showed you bottle shots of the China Glaze Electropop Collection, which I immediately fell in love with (I'm a sucker for a good creme). This collection is now in stores (retail: $7 each) and I recently received a few of the shades for review. Since there are lots of gorgeous swatches of this collection already in the blogosphere (Jen's and Scrangie's come to mind), I thought I'd do something a little different.

So first I'm going to show you what the colors look like on a nail wheel, then I'll compare them to some similar shades in my collection, and finally I'll show you fun nail-art look I did utilizing all three shades I received.

China Glaze Wicked Style, Gaga for Green and Techno


The above pic was taken after two coats of Gaga for Green (first nail) and two coats of Gaga for Green topped with one layer of Techno, followed by one layer of clear top coat (second nail).

After looking through my stash, I realized that I do not have a dupe for Gaga for Green (yay!). So I pulled some limes greens and other similar shades for comparison:

 Left to Right:
China Glaze Gaga for Green, Sally Hansen Spring Green (LE), Wet n Wild Undercover Graffiti (LE), Maybelline Outloud Lime (LE)

China Glaze Gaga for Green, Sally Hansen Spring Green (LE), Wet n Wild Undercover Graffiti (LE), Maybelline Outloud Lime (LE)

As you can see, Gaga for Green has more yellow in it than the Wet n Wild shade, but not nearly as much as the Maybelline shade. It's darker than the Sally Hansen shade, of course. I'd consider it a true grass-green.


The above pic was taken after two coats of Wicked Style (first nail) and two coats of Wicked Style topped with one layer of Techno, followed by one layer of clear top coat (second nail).

After looking through my stash, I pulled some similar shades for comparison:

 Left to Right:
China Glaze Wicked Style, China Glaze Laced Up, NYC Magenta Flash (LE), Rimmel Posh Pink 
 China Glaze Wicked Style, China Glaze Laced Up, NYC Magenta Flash (LE), Rimmel Posh Pink

At fist glance, these all sort of look similar (some of that is due to my camera's inability to truly capture hot pinks). But in person, Wicked Style is much warmer than the other pinks in this photo. Laced Up is a blue-based hot pink, Magenta Flash is a blue-based magenta and Posh Pink is blue-based fuchsia. Wicked Style is more of a warm, almost orange-based magenta. I couldn't find a dupe for it in my stash, which made me realize that almost all of the magentas and fuchsias in my collection are blue-based. If you have a hard time wearing cool tones on your hands and you're looking for a bright magenta for spring/summer, Wicked Style might be perfect for you.


And here's a close-up of Techno. This polish contains chunky and small holo hex glitter in a clear base.


And finally, here's a fun polka-dot look I did using all three shades. For this look, I used my extremely budget-friendly dotting tool, and I just applied polka-dots of each color, while leaving my bare nail underneath.


Here's a close-up pic (NOT COLOR-ACCURATE) just so you can better see the detail of the dots:


Do you own any shades from the Electropop collection? If so, what colors do you have and how do you like them?


A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I bought Kinetic Candy, which is like a grey-blue color. Not really an electropop color, but pretty nonetheless. And I got it for $3.50 at a local nail supply store so I really can't complain. :)

    When I see those two colors, the first thing I can think about is, "watermelon manicure!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome mani! I don't have any of the colors from this collection, but you are making me want some! Techno looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Aquadelic, Gothic Lolita (which I plan to put on tonight), and Electric Beat (which I'm wearing now). I've actually had a little trouble with the formulas of Aquadelic and Electric Beat and really hated putting them on. But for me the colors are worth it. Especially Aquadelic.

    I'm considering getting a couple more. Techno looks a lot like Serving Up Sparkle from OPI, so I skipped it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use skewers too! I thought I was the only one! I love the Electropops but I skipped Gaga for Green... I wonder how close it is to Essie Pretty Edgy, which is one of my favorites. Who knows! Great mani :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got the entire collection in the mail today,it was like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning to pick up this entire collection since I'm pretty sure these shades could get me through spring and most of summer before getting tired of them. Gaga for Green is super pretty and will probably be one of the first ones I use when I get my hands on the collection. Copper and green is one of my favorite combos, so I'm already picturing $OPI Traffic Stopper Copper over Gaga for Green.

    Thanks for sharing your swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Electric Beat and Sweet Hook and love both of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. techno is my fave!!!! it is so holo and makes any color look cool!!! These colors look so much better on than in the bottles. They didn't really appeal to me in the bottles, but on they just ROCK SO HARD!

    I was just popping in to say hi, but I had to comment about how really cool this collection is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Revlon has a new silver holo glitter out that looks a lot like Techno in the bottle (I didn't pick it up because I have enough glitters already). I think it's called Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up Sweet Hook and Kinetic Candy from this collection and love them both. I'm a sucker for certain pastels so I guess that's not surprising. I've posted about both of them.

    Techno is pretty much a dupe for OPI Servin Up Sparkle. I skipped it because I already own SUS, and later comparisons made me glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig