Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dupe alert: Wet n Wild eyeshadows

I don't want to mislead you here--I think there are some fantastic dupes in this post, but I also swatched some shades that aren't dupes, just to give you some interesting color comparisons. Either way, I hope you find this post helpful. 

The higher-end shades I'm using today are from NARS, Make Up For Ever, MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay and Cargo.

Some of the Wet n Wild shades featured in this post are in the LE Dream Weavers collection, while others are core collection shades. I will include a link to my original WnW posts if you don't know which palettes I'm referring to in the swatches below.

 First up, I think I mentioned in my original post about Wet n Wild Earth Looks Small From Down Here that this lovely golden olive HAD to have a dupe in my collection. Well surprise surprise, I can't seem to find one! I THOUGH it was going to be MAC Golden Olive pigment or Smashbox Zoom (those two shades are nearly identical so I only swatched Smashbox below) but there's more khaki in WnW ELSFDH:


I also included a true khaki shade (Cargo Kenya) just so you could see how much of a khaki undertone is in WnW ELSFDH.  And well, UD Acid Rain has too much lime in it to even be considered a contender!

Before I forget, I wanted to swatch the green in WnW Comfort Zone next to WnW ELSFDH because some of you were curious if they were the same color. As you can see, they're definitely not, even though they are similar. Comfort Zone has more of a lime green feel to it, while ELSFDH has more khaki in it. In other words, if you're a golden-olive fan, I think you might need ELSFDH.


 Next up, we have the silver in WnW Enter a New Realm:



Since the silver in WnW Enter A New Realm is the same silver (I believe) that was in the LE WnW Night Elf palette from last winter, then it stands to reason that the same dupe comparison can be made as I did here. The WnW version has a touch more blue to it, but I also think it's more creamy, more metallic, and more high-impact than MAC Electra when you see them in person.


I showed you a silver dupe, so now I'd like to show you a gold one!


I think the gold in WnW I Got Good Jeans is a nice dupe for NARS Silent Night, and let me just tell you, I think the NARS shadow is far inferior, for a number of reasons. First of all, Silent Night has THE most fallout of any shadow I own. It's super sheer and extremely flaky, with big gold flakes flying around in the air every time I use it (I can't believe I'm actually speaking like this about a NARS shadow--I adore NARS but this one? Not so much.). When I apply Silent Night, more ends up on my cheeks than it does on my eyes, and it has very little color payoff (I really had to cake it on for these swatches), so if you want a gold shimmery shadow, I would consider picking up WnW I Got Good Jeans instead.

 

And finally, here's one that's not really a dupe, but I think it's a nice alternative:


I LOVE icy blue-greys, and Make Up For Ever #144 is an all-time favorite of mine. While the MUFE website calls this an "iridescent periwinkle blue" it's much more of a steel blue to me, and it's got the same feel as the blue in WnW ELSFDH.  In the pan, MUFE #144 looks like it's going to be silver actually--it looks NOTHING like the WnW blue in the pan--but on the skin I think you can see the similarities. 

It's kind of one of those things where if you used a light hand with the dark blue in Earth Looks Small From Down Here and blended like crazy, you could achieve a similar look to MUFE #144.



 Thanks for reading, and I hope this post helps those of you who are looking for low-cost alternatives to some of these higher-end shades!

Some of the products featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I. LOVE. THIS. POST.
    I have been haunting every drugstore within 15 miles of my house for the Dreamweavers collex! No luck yet. But I love dupe posts and since I never ever saw the Christmas palettes with the Night Elf, etc, I am really hoping that I do get to find these eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also- i missed out on the Silent Night shadow when it was on special holiday sale for $10 last year (and was upset about it because I love gold shadow!) so i feel much better that you recommend the WnW instead. :D you made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I am in love with that blue-gray. Still haven't found these new palettes yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Dreamweaver collection. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And those are so going on my list! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great post. Wondering if you've swatched MAC's sumptuous olive vs. WNW's olive green in ELSFDH? Wonder if it's closer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could MAC's sumptuous olive be closer to WNW's olive shade in ELSFDH? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to start getting into WnW, esp the shadows. They look so good! Stockage is a bit poor in my area, unfortunately. I may have to go out of my bubble for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh!!! I am looking forward to this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post - thanks for the dupe charts!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig