Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Maybelline Outloud Lime & Revlon Sunshine Sparkle

After seeing the limited edition Summer 2011 collections from both Maybelline and Revlon, I was immediately attracted to some of the nail colors. I purchased both of these shades recently and thought I'd share them with you.

First up, here's Maybelline Outloud Lime, from the Summer 2011 The Bright Side collection. Note: this shade is in the display that also contains the eyeshadows and blushes. This is not the green that's in the stand-alone polish display (that green is named Go-Getter Green, which is more of a grassy green, while Outloud Lime is a true lime green).

Maybelline Outloud Lime
(three coats, no top coat)

 picture taken in natural light (in the shade), no flash

 picture taken in direct sunlight (no flash)

Outloud Lime is a soft lime green creme.  I'm sad that it required three coats (it was a tiny bit streaky at two), but I love the color so much that it's worth it (for me). Also, by the third coat, the formula became a little thick and goopy to work with, so I think I'll need to add a few drops of thinner to this one eventually. Otherwise, I think it's a lovely shade for summer.

Next up, we have Revlon Sunshine Sparkle, which is from the Summer 2011 limited edition Summer Romantics collection. As you all know, I wasn't too thrilled with the Super Lustrous Lip Balm that I purchased from this collection, so I was hoping to have better luck with this polish.

Revlon Sunshine Sparkle
(three coats, no top coat)

  picture taken in natural light (in the shade), no flash

Sunshine Sparkle is like other yellows I've encountered, meaning it's streaky enough to require three coats. I couldn't get away with two--it absolutely required three. In the shade, you cannot see the fine sparkle in this polish, but once you get into the sun, it really comes alive:

  picture taken in direct sunlight (no flash)

 picture taken in direct sunlight (no flash)

I LOVE this color, despite that fact that yellows give me "lobster hands" (i.e. make my hands look red). It's soft, but bright and cheery at the same time. The sparkle gives it a little pizazz without being over-the-top. I found the consistency of the formula to be quite nice--not thin and watery (like other Revlon polishes are known to be), yet not thick and goopy either. If you don't mind applying three coats and you're looking for a fun yellow this summer, you might want to consider this one. Just be warned: I did experience some bubbling the first time I applied this, because I used coats that were pretty thick. If you take care to apply this using nice, thin coats, you'll probably avoid the bubbling issue.

Do you own any of the limited edition polish shades from Maybelline or Revlon? How do you like them?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I passed on all the pastel nail polishes this season just because I have been in the mood for bright, obnoxious colors. I'll probably regret it later, though. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these colors on you G.! I keep searching for the perfect yellow. I have tried 3 I think this spring, so maybe I will try the Revlon. My mom told me once that yellow makes me look like I have a fungus!! HAHAHA! But I keep searching!
    @ Jessi maybe you will be able to pick up some pastels when they go on clearance if you find yourself missing the boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own Sunshine Sparkle, and I am fascinated by it. In some light it looks like a very pale greenish yellow, in other lights it's a light golden yellow and I don't see the green at all. And I really love the golden sparkle. I've never see a yellow quite like it. I wish it were a permanent shade because I'll be sad once it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Sunshine Sparkle. I hope they still have it in the drugstores!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like outloud lime, so fresh and springyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HATE the Revlon polishes. I tried the mint green one and it's really watery. Hat to do a bunch of coats and it took forever, unusually long to dry.. It's a shame because the colors are actually pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig