Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: Revlon limited edition Super Lustrous Lip Balm SPF15

I believe that the first time I ever tried a blue-tinged lip color was in the early 1980s. I remember being scared, but then sort of loving how it turned my warm lips a shade or two cooler. Of course my family said I looked like a corpse, but when you're 14 do you actually listen to family members?

Fast forward (ahem) a few years and now several beauty brands carry blue, green, yellow, etc. lip colors and no one's shocked to see any color at this point. But I was a bit shocked to see a blue-tinged balm in the Revlon LE Summer Romantics collection, because you just don't see those too often at the drugstore (yes, I know L'Oreal had a blue lip color a while back and there are others, but my point is that it's not commonplace).

 Revlon Limited Edition Super Lustrous Lip Balm SPF 15
in Clear Crystal 
(retail: around $9)

I picked this up a little while ago when CVS was running a BOGO1/2OFF sale on Revlon, plus I had some Extra Bucks and a manufacturer's coupon so I practically got it for free.  Sadly, I'm happy that I didn't pay much for this product.


The thought of a Super Lustrous lip balm with SPF15, a pop-top lid and its own little brush is hard to resist. The packaging is fantastic, while also being quite utilitarian in nature. 

But here's the thing: why give a clear lip balm a blue tinge? Why tease us like that? I mean, I guess I should have taken a closer look at the name of this shade: Clear Crystal. Duh. I should have known it was going to be clear, but I still HOPED for a cool-toned wash of color on my lips. Sadly, this was not the case:


The second pic above kind of looks like it might have a bit of blue to it, but I can't see a blue tinge  on my lips in real life. In fact, there's an iridescent sparkle to this balm, which you can see in the pot, but when it's actually on my skin it's difficult to detect unless the light catches my lips at just the right angle.

So...what does this balm have going for it? Well, it does smell like watermelon-flavored Jolly Ranchers to my nose, but there is no flavor. Also, it's great that it's SPF15 and that you can apply it with the accompanying brush (as opposed to your fingers). But I find the texture very firm, so you have to use a bit of force with the brush in order to deposit enough of this balm on to the bristles. 

I do find the texture of this balm to be moisturizing (not mind-blowing but it doesn't dry my lips) and it doesn't feel greasy or too waxy. It feels exactly like it's supposed to feel: like a balm.

But is it worth almost $10? Well, that's up to you to decide.

FINAL VERDICT:  Of all the pretty items in the Revlon limited edition Summer Romantics collection, this was the one that I was the most excited to try. However, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd probably purchase one of the polishes from this collection instead. In fact, I think I'll exchange this for a polish because, honestly, I don't need another clear balm in my stash. The ones I already own are in stick-form, which is more convenient (for me at least) than having to use a brush each time I need to reapply a clear lip balm. If you're excited to try one of  these balms, I would probably consider the coral or pink shades.

Have you tried a limited edition Super Lustrous Lip Balm yet? How do you feel about them? Do you own the coral or pink shades? If so, how do you like the pigmentation?
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Boo, that's a shame that this is completely clear. I wonder if all the shades are like this? If there is ever another really good sale I may pick one up but I'm not as excited about these as I once was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I'd rather pick up Burt's Bees lip balm for half that price :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for reviewing this I was about to buy this today because I to thought it would at least have a blue tint to it. I'm loving the blue lagoon nail polish from the collection though
    <3 Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sad it didn't work out! it would have been beautiful. thanks for saving me $$$$$!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked disappointing. I did see this at my Walgreens but when I saw the price and didn't have a coupon I hesitated. Good thing! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are going to exchange for a polish I recommend Sunshine Sparkle. Very pretty pale yellow. I got the Peach Crystal, and it's ok. I really don't care for the fragrance, very fake melon smelling. But the peach doesn't have that much more color. You get more shimmer than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was actually the only other products I picked up besides the polishes. I LOVE the sparkle and the taste and loved the blue in it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.. how disappointing. I was looking at buying the blue one, but not if it's not actually blue and certainly not for $10. I'll pick up the polishes instead.

    Do you know if the other balms are as transparent?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For blue lips, I love Max Factor Lasting Color Lipstick in Wild Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing worse than a cruddy beauty product, the good thing is you got it for a really cheap price!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This doesn't sound like such a bad product. It smells good, isn't waxy/greasy and feels like a balm should. It sounds like the only downside is that it doesn't give a blue tint but that would be fine with me since it doesn't claim to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probably not worth $10, why even make a clear lip balm?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought one of the polishes. The blue one. I am waiting to try it. :) That balm is a no go for me because Revlon had to pack it full of frakking chemical sunblock. Gah! I hate Revlon, for that. lol

    I almost bought the eye quad... I might pick it up, if I see it, here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaawwww, that's a bit steep for a lip balm.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I happily bought the pink one of this and it went back the same day. It also goes on fairly clear and something in it (I think the sunscreen) made my lips go NUMB. I had to scrub it off. Boo. I was very excited about them too.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig